• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Received my LTC Class A with restrictions

I applied for LTC Class A with reasons "for all lawful purposes" and I got it with restriction "Target and Hunting". This is Randolph MA. I'm moving to Braintree MA in a couple months, so is there a chance for me to re-apply there or I must wait until 2017 for it to expire and re-apply for non restriction?

Any input is appreciated.

I applied for LTC Class A with reasons "for all lawful purposes" and I got it with restriction "Target and Hunting". This is Randolph MA. I'm moving to Braintree MA in a couple months, so is there a chance for me to re-apply there or I must wait until 2017 for it to expire and re-apply for non restriction?

You can't have 2 valid LTC's at the same time. So you would have to ask Randolph to expire your license. There may be another option if they refuse to expire it.

From what I understand you can re-apply before expiration. I know on the XDTalk forums before I moved here, they told me I wouldn't get "no-restrictions" through Worcester the first time, but that I should apply again a year after. I got no restrictions anyway first time :)

I've had clients in your type of situation and what I've done is requested the issuing authority to expire the license early to allow for a new application in the new town. Sometimes chiefs refuse to expire the license early but it's been my experience that eventually this is accomplished.

This is tricky stuff because you want to make sure you are all set in the new town before you sever ties with your old town. The problem is you can't apply until your current license is expired. You don't want to end up expiring early and then being denied in the new town.

So your success will depend on your ability to interact with both chiefs and to pursuade them to help you through your peculiar circumstances.

Did you actually write "All Lawful Purposes" as the reason? Or did you say "I frequently travel into high crime areas" or "I desire to carry a firearm for personal protection" or something similar? Saying that you want to "own a handgun for home protection" can be accomplished with restrictions. This is a critical area on the application that needs specific information in there to be a valid reason for ALP.

on my ltc app i wrote "for all lawful purposes. including protection of life and property, hunting, target shooting and collecting." the licensing officer simply entered alp on the computer form. go figure. i got an alp but i do live in a green town. best of luck.....

I'm from Randolph and applied in Nov and received no restrictions. I listened to people here and beefed up my reasons like what's stated here.

Randolph is a "green" town too. Don't trust anything you see RE towns on this forum. Not because this forum sucks just because the system is screwed and unpredictable at best.

Sure, what you said is fine for many licensing officers but definitely not all. Id like to see it standardized at the state level but then again, can you imagine our legislature and Devil Patrick with control over it? Nobody would get ALP.

Got mine from randolph also last week with the same restriction. It's only for two years then he will take it off providing you don't get into any trouble. I had a basic certificate as well as two sig academy certificates and still got a restriction of target and hunting. Pretty much unless you are past or present military or need it for work, you must have a couple of years under your belt. The licensing officer is a wicked nice guy tho, I'd say to wait till you move and ask him to expire it.

Got mine from randolph also last week with the same restriction. It's only for two years then he will take it off providing you don't get into any trouble. I had a basic certificate as well as two sig academy certificates and still got a restriction of target and hunting. Pretty much unless you are past or present military or need it for work, you must have a couple of years under your belt. The licensing officer is a wicked nice guy tho, I'd say to wait till you move and ask him to expire it.

Hey thanks for sharing. I now don't feel so bad that I'm the only one in Randoph with this restriction. Yes, I agree, the commander there was a nice guy. It struck me by surprise that I would get restrictions.

Next question: what line do I approach him as a reason to expire my license after a couple months? "So I can ask for 'no restriction LTC' at the new town"?

Braintree is NOT a green town. Most people are given restrictions and 5 letters of recommendation are needed for new applicants along with a range membership.

http://www.braintreepd.org/LTC.pdf

Yea for me he said that he appreciated that I took several classes but would be getting a restriction and to come back and see him in couple of years to get it removed. Best of luck, I hope it turns out well for you. I plan to take a few more sig classes, join a club and ask him next summer.

Picking your brain a little more...so with the "Hunting and Target" restrictions, I am only allowed to transport my guns to and from hunting or target shootings. What if I want to sleep over somewhere near the hunting site or stop over a friend's house on my way back, am I in violation?

Picking your brain a little more...so with the "Hunting and Target" restrictions, I am only allowed to transport my guns to and from hunting or target shootings. What if I want to sleep over somewhere near the hunting site or stop over a friend's house on my way back, am I in violation?
Here we go again... This is why restrictions are ridiculous. It causes more problems than just letting someone be unrestricted.

Let me guess... First time applicant, less than 25yrs old?

Some towns in this state are truly hopeless, nobody is stepping in to save the day, like I said the best you could hope for is a set of standards for the entire state. Problem is, knowing the way people vote and the anti 2A idiots we consistently elect in this state, we'd be one big RED state where only the privileged have access to self defense. The state can give and the state can take it away, unfortunately MA is perpetually in the take it away mode when it comes to peoples rights.

This IS a red state.

Ditto for Braintree, change it to RED and lets stop deceiving people.

Jesus, 5 letters of recommendation for first time applicants? Talk about a way to simply discourage application all together. That is an undue burden for somebody just moving to the area, not very social outside family, friends with people of "questionable" backgrounds such that you dont want to use them, etc.

Some towns in this state are truly hopeless, nobody is stepping in to save the day, like I said the best you could hope for is a set of standards for the entire state. Problem is, knowing the way people vote and the anti 2A idiots we consistently elect in this state, we'd be one big RED state where only the privileged have access to self defense. The state can give and the state can take it away, unfortunately MA is perpetually in the take it away mode when it comes to peoples rights.

Unfortunately, you are so right, and one more thing about the Braintree letters of recommendation, they cannot be from family. Now in this lovely state, you can imagine how hard that would be for some people to find 5 people who would do that for you because no matter how much they like you and trust you, they just don't like guns and don't think that the average person should have one.

Also BostonFX, don't forget to notify both towns and the state within 30 day after you make the move.

Unfortunately, you are so right, and one more thing about the Braintree letters of recommendation, they cannot be from family. Now in this lovely state, you can imagine how hard that would be for some people to find 5 people who would do that for you because no matter how much they like you and trust you, they just don't like guns and don't think that the average person should have one.
What is the purpose of these letters anyways? Do they contact these people? Do they hold them accountable if you do something with a gun after you receive your LTC? The entire process of this is a waste of time. Theirs, your references, and yours.

What is the purpose of these letters anyways? Do they contact these people? Do they hold them accountable if you do something with a gun after you receive your LTC? The entire process of this is a waste of time. Theirs, your references, and yours.

It is a waste of time. He counts them to see if you have them and then puts them in the file with your application.

It is a waste of time. He counts them to see if you have them and then puts them in the file with your application.

I have spoken with several chiefs and licensing officers who have told me that they do read the letters and put substantial weight on the information contained therein.

I have spoken with several chiefs and licensing officers who have told me that they do read the letters and put substantial weight on the information contained therein.

I'm not sure if you're talking about the letter for an unrestricted license or the letters of recommendation. I'm talking about the 5 letters of recommendation needed.

Back
Top Bottom