• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Recent incident prompts a security camera question

This happened last week and i'm kicking myself about how I handled it.

It was 6:15AM, my dog usually comes up at daylight to sleep with me until its time for breakfast. He heard something and barked which is a bit unusual for him....I wake (barely) and check my security cam monitor and there is a man at my front door. My first thought is that he is from town and leaving me some papers to sign or something (I am on the fincom now)....I could see his car with door open probably running in the driveway. By the time I woke enough to realize he was there he turned around, got in his car and left.

I woke fully about 20 minutes later expecting to find an envelope at my front door, but there was none.....hmmm. Later on in the day I read that there has been a rash of breaks in Lunenburg that got me thinking and I called my PD and told them about the incident and gave a description. The officer asked if I had a video tape (I dont) and told me I should have called it in right away (duh). I'm thinking this guy was casing the place...no reason to be visiting me at 6:15AM.

It occurs to me that I need to have a DVR or something attached to my cam. Also the low light quality of this cam is barely usable. Does anyone know of a dirt cheap DVR that accepts svideo inputs? I was thinking someone must make a flash based DVR that records a small amount of video....all I really need is the last 12-24 hours. Do they make 110V IR illuminators to enhance night time camera video?

Thoughts?

How about a motion sensor light as well? Def. lets you know if someone/something is in the driveway and provides light for a better camera shot. If it goes on you may startle a would be intruder plus you can see pretty clearly where/when to focus on your recording for possible intruders. Just a thought.

I really don't want to dedicate a PC to this....thats a pretty sweet setup tho....amazing what you can get for $35 these days.

How about a motion sensor light as well? Def. lets you know if someone/something is in the driveway and provides light for a better camera shot. If it goes on you may startle a would be intruder plus you can see pretty clearly where/when to focus on your recording for possible intruders. Just a thought.

I leave my front porch light on 24/7 but it does not illuminate my car very well. If I use a spotlight then I would be beaming lights into my neighbors windows....the reason I am thinking IR.

Back
Top Bottom