• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

recomend a 2 meter radio antenna combo

As everyone knows I am very new to this. I am already frustrated with the uv-5R and want to get something a little better.
I don't want to spend a ton of cash but would like to get something I can use on the bench at home and also throw in the car if need be. There are way to many options for me to make an intelligent decision on my own.
i am also not opposed to used if someone is getting rid of something.

Thanks

Chet, some one with more knowledge and higher standards will disagree with me, but I look at it quite simply. There's Yaesu, Icom, Kenwood and a few others. They are all different, but all pretty much the same,and you get what you pay for. The features vs. cost plot a pretty straight line. More fancy features = more $. Don't blow the budget unless you've really got the disease and think you'll be getting all geeked-out and want to get into the really fancy and digital stuff (cross-band repeater, APRS, DSTAR, etc) a basic mobil rig will get you talking. Get a 2M/70cm. Don't worry too much about the 1.2M band. There's only a little action on that band, so unless you have friends on that band, skip it.

Of course you could bite the bullet and get something like an FT-857. It will do it all.

Chet, some one with more knowledge and higher standards will disagree with me, but I look at it quite simply. There's Yaesu, Icom, Kenwood and a few others. They are all different, but all pretty much the same,and you get what you pay for. The features vs. cost plot a pretty straight line. More fancy features = more $. Don't blow the budget unless you've really got the disease and think you'll be getting all geeked-out and want to get into the really fancy and digital stuff (cross-band repeater, APRS, DSTAR, etc) a basic mobil rig will get you talking. Get a 2M/70cm. Don't worry too much about the 1.2M band. There's only a little action on that band, so unless you have friends on that band, skip it.

Of course you could bite the bullet and get something like an FT-857. It will do it all.

not looking to go crazy, just looking for something reliable
I will look around

If you just want a 2M that you can bench or go mobile, then something like the Yaesu FT-2900 would fit the bill. It's around $200, can output up to 75 watts and has a lot of features for the price. Add a good j-pole base antenna and a Mobil antenna, a bench power supply and your all set.

Sent from the depths of Hell with TapaTalk V2

Last edited:
I have an old beat-up FT-2600 2M, 65W mobile and a good mag-mount antenna. I don't go mobile much so I put a power poll connector on it and a on a cigarette lighter plug. At home it plugs into the DC power supply. For the car I just slap the mag mount on the roog and plug into the cigarette lighter and lay the rig on the passenger seat. I just have to remember to turn the power down to 25W so I don't blow the lighter's 10A fuse. The diff between 65W and 25W is about 1/2 an S-unit so it doesn't restrict my range much.

I have a Waxoun KG-UV920 that I got for $300, prices have since come down to around $260 new. I've got it on my truck with a mag mount and dual band. I'm hitting the Derry Repeater at mid power from Lexington MA. My only complaint is that you have to program it with their software and can't use Chirp.

The Yaesu FT-2900 is $139.95 at Ham Radio Outlet, right now until 3-31-14.

Winner, winner, chicken dinner!

here's your power supply

http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Reg...5-9722420?ie=UTF8&refRID=1XYYWDS7V310B45EBKQE

Get your VOM out and adjust the output to 13.9 volts (It'll adjust up to 14.6). You'll need about 13.5 amps to run at 75 watts. This unit will supply 30 amps and it's pretty clean power. Cost $27 plus shipping.

Here's your J pole

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Meter-VHF...pt=US_Radio_Comm_Antennas&hash=item1c2fbdcdda

$42 with shipping

Last edited:
I like the Alinco DR-135T for a mobile rig. It is easy to program. If you can find one, the old Alinco DJ-F1 is a great hand held.

I have a new Baofeng dual band 2M and 440 which I cannot recommend because it is an aggravating chore to try to program.

Back
Top Bottom