• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Recommend an accessory light for a G19

Every year at work, (there's three of us in my shop) we get each other a little gift for Christmas. Usually little stuff firearms or hunting related. One of my buddies recently picked up a Gen5 G19, and I think he would use a light on it. So whats a decent light out there for a friendly gift? I don't want some POS NC Star, but not gonna get him a surefire either. Is there a good middle of the road light out there? If not, I'll think of another gift idea rather than getting some unreliable turd.

Whats a ballpark I can expect to pay? This guy uses his 19 as a truck/camp/house gun primarily, I don't think he even has a holster for it. A holster might be a better gift but they're so personal (for me anyways) on fit, comfort and carry style.

I went with Surefire. I use it for my house gun. Relatively bulky for carry, but good light. Not cheap, though.

Whats a ballpark I can expect to pay? This guy uses his 19 as a truck/camp/house gun primarily, I don't think he even has a holster for it. A holster might be a better gift but they're so personal (for me anyways) on fit, comfort and carry style.

About $75 this time of year. They are often $99., or at least they were when they were newer.

APL lights are junk in my experience.... ESPECIALLY in cold weather.

Edit: I've owned them personally and we had a bunch at work. I launched them all

I like my Olight PL-2 Mini Valkyrie. Got it in a group buy here on NES; mine's been solid for a couple of years now between my P226 and my (since sold) Gen 5 G19.

Edit: I've owned them personally and we had a bunch at work. I launched them all

I have an APLC, and will admit that it doesn't seem like it would take much to break it. That being said, I'm no operator. Just a civilian who wants to turn on a weapon light for the bumps in the night, so it is good enough. I prefer its switches and operating system to the others.

a WML is like choosing underwear...its personal

get him a nice EDC light like a streamlight protac 2L-X. 500 lumens. awesome. barely over $40. amazing value and he’ll actually use it.

a WML is like choosing underwear...its personal

get him a nice EDC light like a streamlight protac 2L-X. 500 lumens. awesome. barely over $40. amazing value and he’ll actually use it.

That a great idea. EDC lights are always a welcome present, and some can even be mounted to carbines to serve double duty.

I have an APLC, and will admit that it doesn't seem like it would take much to break it. That being said, I'm no operator. Just a civilian who wants to turn on a weapon light for the bumps in the night, so it is good enough. I prefer its switches and operating system to the others.

I used to be like that in my younger days, but at this point in my life, I want something that works unconditionally. I made the switch to Surefire

I used to be like that in my younger days, but at this point in my life, I want something that works unconditionally. I made the switch to Surefire

Sure, working unconditionally is better, but one also has to factor the cost/benefit ratio when considering spending double+ that of the lesser product. This importance is different for each person. I could see for you and your serious work application, this is super important. So no argument there. For me though with my home application as a nightstand gun, it doesn't warrant doubling+ the expense. It is not going to see duty use. I'm also not exactly being a skinflit here. One could pick up a no-name Chinese knock off weapon light on Amazon for $25. if they wanted. APLC's were $99 when I bought mine. I think it is a good enough option for my application.

Sure, working unconditionally is better, but one also has to factor the cost/benefit ratio when considering spending double+ that of the lesser product. This importance is different for each person. I could see for you and your serious work application, this is super important. So no argument there. For me though with my home application as a nightstand gun, it doesn't warrant doubling+ the expense. It is not going to see duty use. I'm also not exactly being a skinflit here. One could pick up a no-name Chinese knock off weapon light on Amazon for $25. if they wanted. APLC's were $99 when I bought mine. I think it is a good enough option for my application.

I'm not knocking you, I don't care what anyone does at this point, I'm just telling you that things changed over time for me. The APL will let you down in normal conditions.

I'm not knocking you, I don't care what anyone does at this point, I'm just telling you that things changed over time for me. The APL will let you down in normal conditions.

No worries. We're just talking.

I think I went the opposite direction with time. I used to always try to buy with the thought of "buy the best once" instead of repeatedly buying junk. And that does work, but I found that I'd often have much high spec items than I needed for each application. Sometimes that's still better to have higher spec. Other times I feel I just wasted money or overkill. I try to find the middle ground now. I thought the APLC was middle ground, but now you have me worried.

All good info. I appreciate the input. I think I'll pass on the weapons light. I mean, we're buddies and all, but not "here's a $100 gift" type buddies lol. Last year I got him one of those cleaning mats with the AR-15 schematic on it and one of my 80% lowers I had laying around, and he got me an original/correct sling for my No4 Mk1, they're just friendly gifts among friends/co-workers.

I bought an Inforce WML after the "Epic" show at my local range where I got to handle it and run a full-auto AR with it mounted. I've since run maybe 100 rounds through my AR pistol with it mounted. I like it for a WML, it's well made and easy to run. Based on that limited sample, I'd say an Inforce for a pistol might be a good option.

I've got Streamlight TLR-1s on two of my Glocks. I like them a lot. The interface is intuitive, easy to use and the lights are solid and bright. As mentioned by someone, the addition of the light requires another holster. Comp-Tac makes one for a G17 with TLR-1, I'm betting they have one for a G19.

But - as mentioned in a couple of posts - weapon lights are kind of like pistols, lots of choices for different people. Whereas, as also mentioned, a good EDC flashlight is more generally applicable to a larger group of people. The Streamlight ProTac was mentioned. We've got three of them. One lives on my nightstand, one on my wife's nightstand, and the third one's in my pocket. They're terrific lights. Great balance between size and output. I literally carry one all the time.

Rainbow_10_scaled.gif

OIight mini 2 valkyrie. That is what i have on my G19. Perfect fit.

Surefire X300U or Streamlight TLR-1/2
Inforce is crap and and O-light is Chinesium-crap. Don't put crap on your gun.
The new streamlight TLR-7/8 with the new style rear-switches look promising, the button versions sucked. Also the Surefire XC-1's are crap and the batteries die often and inexplicably.
Sorry if you have olights, inforces, and XC1's dont feel too bad... I have them too: in a box full of other useless junk I wish I never bought.

No worries. We're just talking.

I think I went the opposite direction with time. I used to always try to buy with the thought of "buy the best once" instead of repeatedly buying junk. And that does work, but I found that I'd often have much high spec items than I needed for each application. Sometimes that's still better to have higher spec. Other times I feel I just wasted money or overkill. I try to find the middle ground now. I thought the APLC was middle ground, but now you have me worried.

My thinking is simple; how much do I value my families and/or my own life?

There’s numerous situations for HD that could cause a cheaper piece of equipment to fail. And believe it or not if you actually have to use it under those conditions then you’ll be fighting for all you're worth to save your life in that moment, sh*t happens, Murphy’s Law, poor equipment fails, hell even good equipment fails, just less often.

I’m not suggesting that anybody should spend beyond their means or need to be fully kitted out for the random intruder at 0200, but having gear that you absolutely trust certainly helps with that situation.

All good info. I appreciate the input. I think I'll pass on the weapons light. I mean, we're buddies and all, but not "here's a $100 gift" type buddies lol. Last year I got him one of those cleaning mats with the AR-15 schematic on it and one of my 80% lowers I had laying around, and he got me an original/correct sling for my No4 Mk1, they're just friendly gifts among friends/co-workers.

Since you mentioned in one of your posts that you’re not sure he has a holster but it’s a truck/camp/all around piece that he may be Mex carrying, how about a kydex trigger guard? $20.00.

5BD93D46-0CA1-4808-B49C-0B2733736665.jpeg

Curious, what types of batteries were in those?

Alkaline or lithium? Alkaline sucks in the cold and will prematurely fail in any light in cold weather.

Back
Top Bottom