Recommend an accessory light for a G19

Surefire X300U or Streamlight TLR-1/2
Inforce is crap ...Don't put crap on your gun....

I’ve used surefires, streamlights and insight lights extensively in harsh conditions. I recently picked up an Inforce WML for my general purpose carbine. It seems pretty damn good so far. Great build quality, finish, and solid feeling. I guess I’ll see how it holds up over time. With lithium batteries, I’m confident it will.

I have a question about lights mounted on guns. Before I ask it I want to state that I'm not trying to being a troll, wise ass or being condescending, but I'm sure I will still catch some flack for it.
How do you guys feel about the safety rule of not pointing your muzzle towards anything you don't want to destroy?

Surefire gift card towards a not shit light.

One of my favorite stocking stuffers are the surefire sidekicks. They're $50 rechargeable 300 lumen keychain lights. Everybody I've gotten them for raves about them.

Inforce lights are big meh.

I have a question about lights mounted on guns. Before I ask it I want to state that I'm not trying to being a troll, wise ass or being condescending, but I'm sure I will still catch some flack for it.
How do you guys feel about the safety rule of not pointing your muzzle towards anything you don't want to destroy?

Correct me if I’m wrong but I think you’re asking how do you safely use a WML without actually putting your muzzle on target/threat?

With a decent light attached you’re still able to and should in a high stress situation (HD for example) keep your weapon up but at the low ready and that light will still encompass the threat, allowing you to identify who it is (friendly v foe) and or make sure their hands are free of weapons or not just by keeping the light/muzzle pointed down by their feet.

If it is a confirmed threat and a shot is needed, being up but at the low ready (hands and pistol are up in front of you but the muzzle is pointed slightly down towards their feet) is really only the difference of about a 2” movement in your wrists to bring the muzzle up on target and then press your trigger.

You are correct in that you should not be using the light/muzzle to point directly at your unknown party to acquire an ID of friendly/foe.

Does that help?

Last edited:
Any good flashlight will light up an entire room when pointed at the floor or ceiling. The Surefire X300u on my home defense gun has 1000 lumens. You don’t have to point it directly at someone to light them up.

In my opinion the WML is a supplement to a good handheld, not an alternative. I don't think it's wise to rely solely on a WML. One of the cons is, like you said, the beam is tied to the bore axis. As was mentioned upthread though, most handgun beams have a fair amount of spill and the hotspot is not as narrow as rifle lights. The spill is reasonable for search purposes, and techniques such as umbrella or baseboard lighting with some of the newer lights (like the 1000lumen X300 that's on my guns) will absolutely light up a room.

I know you were just asking out of curiosity, but I would encourage everyone to take some reputable low-light training if your resources permit, it's eye-opening.

Also bear in mind a lot of what you may have SEEN (news, tv, movies, pictures on the internet) that inform your question may be mil/le using lights, and while I have no experience in either of those realms, I get the impression that they have different SOPs/ROEs for their weapons. They are using their lights to search, hunt, control, etc. a lot more often in my estimation. In an occupation where it's (more?) acceptable to hold someone at gunpoint (which, again, I'm ignorant of whether it is or is not acceptable policy), for example, the question you raised loses a bit of the edge.

Olight PL-2 Mini Valkyrie gets my vote for the money. Love mine, should have picked up some more of their stuff over the black friday weekend.

Had an APLc on my carry 19 and sold it with the holster. Stupid batteries, cheap switch, big gay.

Replaced it with a TLR-7 and am thrilled with it for a carry gun. The original TLR-7 requires man hands tho, apparently there is a new model that has a switch for women.

If you're not going for a WML (as it seems you've decided) then what about a decent hand held? I bought a Streamlight 1L-1A. It runs on CR123 (1) or (1) AAA battery. I don't see them listed anymore on the S/L website - just a version that uses an AA battery. Super bright with the CR123; very bright (on high) with the AAA. $35 +/-. Had it for about two years, dropped it, got it wet. Easy to carry. Been great so far. Just a thought.

Technique. You point the light down into the middle of the space and light reflection pretty much illuminates the whole room.

Back
Top Bottom