• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Recommend Me a Bipod

EddieCoyle

Consigliere
NES Member
I'm not a rifle guy so I'm hoping someone here can help me out. I just got a new AR - a Bushmaster M4A3 Carbine. I was shooting at the range yesterday using a sandbag rest and found that it was too low when I used a 30 round mag. I ended up putting my range bag on top of the sand bags to get a high enough rest.

At the Pumpkin Shoot, I shot Rockrivr1's Serbu with a bipod, and that was awesome. I want to get one like it for my AR.

The Bushmaster catalog shows one by Harris for about $120. I don't mind spending the money if this is a good one, but if I can spend less and still get a good one, I'll do that too. Can anyone recommend a bipod? I'll use it mostly for benchrest, but I'd like one that I could adjust high enough for prone too.

Harris. Reasonably priced, though not inexpensive by any stretch. Different mounts available. You can bolt it up to almost any sling stud on any rifle.

+1 on the Harris bipods. Don't get the swivel model... no need to pay extra for something that's not necessary.

If you decide on Harris - get your C&R license, send a copy to Brownells or Midway, and buy the bipod from them, at their dealer price. I think the one I just ordered went for $62 + shipping. The C&R will pay for itself even if you never buy a firearm with it! [smile]

Kevin

Shooters ridge

I got a shooters ridge bipod which is a copy of the harris. I think I got mine from Cabellas for around $45. I have it on My bushmaster M4A3. I have a rail system with a bipod stud atatchment.
I "inherited" a harris from my cousin and like that one too. For the money... go shooters ridge.
I think I even saw the shooters ridge one at Dick's.
Good luck in the search.

bipod

Wouldn't it make more sense to use a 10 round mag to bench the gun, and use the money towards a good adjustable front rest with a bag on it you could use for all your bench shooting? That is if you don't already have one. It is a pain to keep setting up guns for attached bipods and then having to move them or more expensive to buy more than one.

Wouldn't it make more sense to use a 10 round mag to bench the gun, and use the money towards a good adjustable front rest with a bag on it you could use for all your bench shooting? That is if you don't already have one. It is a pain to keep setting up guns for attached bipods and then having to move them or more expensive to buy more than one.

I like my bipod, but I have to agree with this. A good rest, even a set of
front/rear bag rests, is better than a bipod is in terms of keeping the gun
stable. On the other hand, the bipod is still portable... but I dunno on a
light 16" rifle whether I'd bother putting one on at all. If I did I'd make
sure it has some sort of mechanism so it's easy to take it off if you don't
want it on there. I'm glad I can easily take the harris bipod off my Savage
10FP, because it makes it a lot easier to get it in and out of a rifle bag, and it
also makes it easier to use with a regular rest if I want to. (if the bipod isn't
there it doesnt interfere with the rest at all ).

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom