Recommend me gun with a similar profile to the Sig P229 Compact

Howdy. I recently got my LTC and am looking to purchase my first handgun strictly for home defense. I went to a gun range to try out a few and the one that felt most comfortable in my hands was the Sig P229 Compact. I guess for Sig “compact” means just a little bit smaller than full-size, which was just right for me as I am not a large man.

I am hoping you fine folks can recommend me a gun with a similar profile to the P229. It may turn out that the P229 is indeed the right gun for me, but it is also one of the most expensive I’ve seen for its size, retailing at $1300. Given that I do not plan to become a hobby shooter I’d prefer to avoid paying for a top-of-the-line model if I can find something similar that is just as reliable but cheaper.

What I like about the P229, as mentioned is its size (overall length 7.4 in) and weight, but also the stock/grip fit my hands very comfortably. It was much more natural to hold compared to the S&W M&P I tried.

I actually don’t have much preference for trigger/action mechanism – DA/SA, SAO, and striker are all fine (just not DAO). I know some hammer enthusiasts say that all striker triggers are mushy, but comparing the trigger pull on the P229 vs the P320 I honestly didn’t notice much difference, certainly not enough to affect my accuracy at a typical home-defense-encounter range. For that reason I was also considering the P320 M-18, which has a similar profile as the P229 Compact at half the cost – but then I read about all these recent negligent discharge lawsuits against the P320 which has made me wary.

So, I turn to the wisdom of this forum in search of a gun with a similar profile to the Sig P229 Compact. My other requirements are:
  • Chambered in 9mm
  • Must have a manual safety (no manual safety simply will not fly with the wife)
  • No grip safety (don’t trust them)
  • If hammer-fired: should have a decocker, or the manual safety should double as a decocker. Although as mentioned I’d be perfectly fine with a striker-fired gun too.
  • Ideally should be easy to mount a laser sight to the rail below the barrel (not looking for laser grips or RDS)

Thats if you want a SAO.

Take a strong look at the Beretta PX4 series.

Yes, I own a 229 & 226 and yes, you WILL pay more for a Sig.

I do not think the P320 series in general has any form of safety EXCEPT the M18 variant (maybe other M series too).

Note that many guns have slide mounted safeties and others have frame mounted safeties. That necessitates a reversal
of the safety lever direction. Be careful what you start w/. you dont want a collection that has both only to be 'confused' during a breakin.

Also, check CZ P series w/ the Omega trigger (or maybe the small 75 series) that is revertable between decock and safety (and other CZ's that can be tweaked)

But you really really really want to 'try out' how any candidate gun fits/feels in your hands. Kinda like Goldilocks.

Last edited:
Just get it.

You'll always pine for it and think of creative ways to afford it. 1300 may set you back for a few weeks but it'll be much more expensive experience over time trying different guns trying to attain a 'cheaper' clone that you will never be completely satisfied with.

Believe us, we've all been there.

I frankly forgot whether the DA/SA had a manual safety or not, but they make an SAO version that does.
The DA/SA SIGs have a decocker only. Frankly I don’t understand why anyone would buy an SAO P-series SIG as a defensive gun. But, whatever, you do you.

Your requirement for a manual safety greatly limits your choice. Most guns with a manual safety do not have a very ergonomic safety that is easy to operate in extremis. 1911s have their issues, but the extended safety on current models is very ergonomic. I’ve never found another pistol with a manual safety that is as easy to use.

The CZ-75 has a manual safety, but there is no decocker. So you have to lower the safety by hand. CZ does have some models with decocker, but I don’t think they also have a safety.

The Beretta 92 and S&W 3rd generation have a combined decocker and safety. Rotate it down and the gun decocks and is on safe. That said, I recommend against this. These guns have a slide mounted decocker / safety lever. While cycling the slide (for example, while closing the slide during an emergency reload or clearing a malfunction), it is easy to accidentally apply the safety and now the gun won’t fire. Further, the safety is hard to reach while you have a firing grip on the gun, making it hard to remove the safety while drawing the gun. Among the most common modifications to the Beretta 92 Series is to change parts such that the decocker / safety lever is only a decocker (removing the safety). Personally, if I bought a 92 that is what I would do.

tldr; I’ve got nothing to recommend for you.

I think the basic 229 or whatever they currently call it (Nitron?) is usually around 900-1000.
The 'Legion' series is a coupla hundred more and (IMO) not really worth the upcharge.
I recently installed the GrayGun ELS trigger in mine and it's a complete transformation of the trigger.

Oh, and go to handgunhero.com if you want an awesome comparison page.

Last edited:
You can go up to the Sig Experience center in Ellington NH and hold all of their pistols and rent them to shoot at their new indoor range. You can also purchase it up there and they’ll ship to your fly down here, as long as it is a MA “compliant” model. Otherwise, once you find what you like, get thee to the Mill in Littleton. You’ll find what you’re looking for there cheaper than 1,300. I think even If you bought direct from sig it would be cheaper Than that.

edited to correct to epping nh, not Ellington.

A quality DA/SA is going to cost ~$1000

Have a look at the Beretta 9000s. Oddball gun, a 'compact' 92F. DA/SA and manual safety. Takes 92/96 mags.

IMO if you want a HD gun I would get a full size. The 226 is heavier, has a bigger mag, longer sight radius, and has the exact same grip angle and index as the 229. Easier to shoot and better mag capacity.

I dont like a manual safety. IMHO they don't add any safety to modern firearms, they only add complexity, which is not something you want at 3am and half awake.

If you want a cheap reliable HD firearm to trust your life to, get a mossberg 500 pump shotgun in 12ga and load it with LE 00 buck.

here's something that you might like, not my ad

Also, FourSeasons does a bangup job w/ used guns. And always buy in cash (saves 3% usually).

The issue w the 226/9 is the size of the grip. My GF who isn't large, definitely prefers a single stack (like a P210
(not applicable for you)) vs. my 226 or 229.

The 229 somehow feels smaller than it is (esp vs. a 226). The 229 is only 0.5" shorter and you *could* CCW it
if you had masochist tendencies.

I take it you are skeptical about the people claiming their P320 went off "by itself"?
I've carried appendix with my 320 for a while, only reason I went back to the glock 19 for concealed is I ended up setting the 320 with a carry size grip module and light and made it a dedicated nightstand gun. I checked my SN on the sig website and it isn't part of the recall and I did my own hammer test and did not get a dead trigger so I would have no issues carrying if that was my only pistol.

The DA/SA SIGs have a decocker only. Frankly I don’t understand why anyone would buy an SAO P-series SIG as a defensive gun. But, whatever, you do you.

Your requirement for a manual safety greatly limits your choice. Most guns with a manual safety do not have a very ergonomic safety that is easy to operate in extremis. 1911s have their issues, but the extended safety on current models is very ergonomic. I’ve never found another pistol with a manual safety that is as easy to use.

The CZ-75 has a manual safety, but there is no decocker. So you have to lower the safety by hand. CZ does have some models with decocker, but I don’t think they also have a safety.

The Beretta 92 and S&W 3rd generation have a combined decocker and safety. Rotate it down and the gun decocks and is on safe. That said, I recommend against this. These guns have a slide mounted decocker / safety lever. While cycling the slide (for example, while closing the slide during an emergency reload or clearing a malfunction), it is easy to accidentally apply the safety and now the gun won’t fire. Further, the safety is hard to reach while you have a firing grip on the gun, making it hard to remove the safety while drawing the gun. Among the most common modifications to the Beretta 92 Series is to change parts such that the decocker / safety lever is only a decocker (removing the safety). Personally, if I bought a 92 that is what I would do.

tldr; I’ve got nothing to recommend for you.
Thanks for the advice, this is definitely helpful.

"Frankly I don’t understand why anyone would buy an SAO P-series SIG as a defensive gun."
Why not?

Sounds like I should also explore some 1911s.

Regarding the CZ 75 -- Can the hammer be manually decocked while the safety is engaged? If that is the case then that would suit me fine.

Interesting point about the drawback of a combined decocker and safety; I'll avoid that.

I take it you're not a fan of striker-fired handguns?

I think the basic 229 or whatever they currently call it (Nitron?) is usually around 900-1000.
The 'Legion' series is a coupla hundred more and (IMO) not really worth the upcharge.
I recently installed the GrayGun ELS trigger in mine and it's a complete transformation of the trigger.

Oh, and go to handgunhero.com if you want an awesome comparison page.
I forgot to mention I am in MA. When I go to the P229 section of the Sig website and check the MA State Compliant box, the only item that remains is the P229 Compact (SIG SAUER 9mm Compact Pistol Series | SIG P229 9mm).

Thanks for the tip on handgunhero.com, really cool tool.

Close enough, why?
there are a few stores in the Mill in Littleton that could help you find the right pistol for the right price vs overspending at a place like Four Seasons. not sure of the address but I think it was 410 great rd, what's nice is that there being more than one shop you can see what is available without driving around.

there are a few stores in the Mill in Littleton that could help you find the right pistol for the right price vs overspending at a place like Four Seasons. not sure of the address but I think it was 410 great rd, what's nice is that there being more than one shop you can see what is available without driving around.

Thanks, will check them out then. I had heard of "The Mill" area in Littleton but don't know much about it. Otherwise my plan was to go to Woburn/Stoneham because I saw that there are 4-5 gun shops in those towns, but if The Mill has even more selection at better prices clustered even more closely together then maybe I'll just go there instead.

Thanks, will check them out then. I had heard of "The Mill" area in Littleton but don't know much about it. Otherwise my plan was to go to Woburn/Stoneham because I saw that there are 4-5 gun shops in those towns, but if The Mill has even more selection at better prices clustered even more closely together then maybe I'll just go there instead.
it is worth the trip, if I was a MA resident it would be my weekly stop. I visited once for a class and was impressed with the options.

Thanks for the advice, this is definitely helpful.

"Frankly I don’t understand why anyone would buy an SAO P-series SIG as a defensive gun."
Why not?

Sounds like I should also explore some 1911s.

Regarding the CZ 75 -- Can the hammer be manually decocked while the safety is engaged? If that is the case then that would suit me fine.

Interesting point about the drawback of a combined decocker and safety; I'll avoid that.

I take it you're not a fan of striker-fired handguns?
1911s have grip safeties, which you said you don’t trust. I’ve never had a problem with a grip safety. 1911s have their issues. They are going to be expensive. They have lower capacity. They will have more failures to feed. They may well require additional maintenance. Most 1911s use a series 70 style action which does not have a firing pin block. If you drop a series 70 from enough height onto its muzzle, the inertia of the firing pin will overcome the force of the firing pin retaining spring and the gun will discharge. Most 1911s these days use a lightweight firing pin (typically titanium) and an extra power spring to reduce this chance. It doesn’t worry me, but it is something to be aware of.

The issue about the combined safety decocker isn’t an issue with the combined functionality. The issue is the placement of the control — on the slide. Controls on the slide can get accidentally activated while cycling the slide, and they are harder to reach to deactivate the safety when drawing from a holster. I‘ve got no such concerns about the HK USP which also has a combined safety decocker because on the USP it is frame mounted not slide mounted. I would feel perfectly fine running a Beretta 92 converted to decocker only, but you insist on a manual safety. I’ve got other issues with the USP — the DA trigger is horrid, the SA trigger is meh, and I hate the HK paddle magazine release. But that is my personal taste.

No, on a CZ75 you can’t keep the safety on while decocking, because to manually decock you have to hold the hammer and pull the trigger, then slowly lower the hammer. I would not recommend a gun that has to be decocked manually to a new shooter. There are CZ 75 variants with decockers, but I’m not sure if there is one with both a decocker and a safety. For a new shooter, I would recommend one with a decocker over one with no decocker and a manual safety.

As for striker fired guns, the three guns I carry most are all striker fired: 1) a Gen 5 Glock 19, 2) a Glock 43x, and 3) a Kahr PM9 for pocket carry. I’ve got no problems with striker fired guns. None of those guns have a manual safety, which is something you were insisting on.

The P320 interests me because I hear that the grip angle is better than on Glocks. I much prefer the 1911 grip angle versus Glock’s grip angle. I haven’t tried one due to the reports about P320 safety. I just don’t know whether or not there is something real going on there.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom