• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Recommendation / Education on Pistol Sight Adjustment Tools

MassHunter32

NES Member
For years I've never really had a need for a pistol sight adjustment tool but now wondering if i do. Over the years, if I need to adjust the front or rear sights of my pistols, i've used a brass punch and hammer. I've seen Universal tools / dedicated tools. I get it... they can be more precise, you don't or shouldn't run the risk of marring the finish of your slide or sites like you can with a punch. As with most tools, I of course assume you get what you pay for. Why the change? I decided to treat my self and get some "nicer" pistols them I'm used to. I got two Sigs. A P320 Legion and P226 Legion. Both shoot amazing. I put a Romeo1Pro on the P320 but plan on keeping the P226 iron sights for now. Both of them need to have their front sights tweaked. As i got ready to take out my punch, I wondered, is this time to finally get a pistol sight adjustment tool?

Do you guys use the tools? Seems MGW tools are very high end and users give them high rankings. Reading reviews, it certainly seems like lots of tools are geared towards Glocks and don't work great with other platforms.

What do you use? What should I be thinking about differently? Any specific recommendations or warnings?

Thank you in advance. Sorry if I missed strings on this. Didn't seem to find any in my quick search.

If its a gun Im going to shoot and want it to hit where it aims a punch and solid vice is fine. If your removing sights often or adjusting sights on several guns and you change ammo types to warrant a sight tool then go for it.
The sight tools are great and can save you a lot of time.

I've thought about purchasing one of these in the past and could never pull the proverbial trigger. As mc1911 notes, these would be great if I was switching factory sight for Trijicon/MeProLight/etc. sight for multiple guns (and maybe even friends' guns), but I'm not doing that. I think all of the sights on my guns are within a reasonable range of being true center (0.5mm or less) so I have learned to more or less change my arms/positioning ever so slightly to compensate for that specific pistol.

Realizing that many such tools aren't expensive, it comes down to space for another tool where all my other gun "stuff" is. I'd rather keep that area clear to have more maneuvering room, and possibly something that I do need down the line. Just my $0.02.

I picked up an MGW awhile ago. Good tool for installing sights on a p80 slide, but way overpriced. Solid chunk of metal, though.

One can still much up a slide with a sight tool....not that I would know from personal experience pushing a Shield rear sight out before completely removing the set screw, or anything.

Back
Top Bottom