RECOMMENDATION ON RUGER 22 CAL. ???

... "under the age of 50"... I turned 50 last Thursday.

Never mind....

Never trust anyone over 50. [smile]

Remember that line, but the age was 30?[wink]

OK, back on topic. I agree with looking at a revolver. Love my S&W 617. Never a jam, or fail to eject. Eats a very varied diet of any 22LR ammo. Makes me smile.[grin]

Why is it that when someone on this forum asks about getting a .22, the semi auto is always the first and most often recommended ? (by 99 to one, it seems like)

Doesn't anyone under the age of 50 ever think of a revolver? Has anyone under the age of 50 even shot a revolver?

If you don't, you should.

Young people !!!!! Listen to me !!!! Listen to the wisdom of the aged !

There are other things in this world than semi autos, both handguns and rifles !

Get a Ruger Single Six for a first gun. Then get a S&W Model 17 or 617 for your next and last gun...well maybe not your last, as you will want more revolvers, but you'll never get a better .22 than a S&W revolver.

They are easy to clean. They are not ammo selective. If they don't go bang when you pull the trigger it's because the ammo won't go bang, it's not the gun's fault. There's nothing to jam. They're beautiful. They're classic. They're accurate.

Go into a gun shop and ask to see a .22. The cases are full of Ruger Mk 1,2,3's, Walther P22's, and Mosquitos and there are far fewer revolvers. Why? People keep their revolvers because they shoot !

You don't get rid of something because it's good and you like it.

Get a freaking revolver !

Rant over. Old man, out.

I'm 25, and a full third of my guns are revolvers. Granted, I only have 3 guns, but the percentage sounds more impressive. My next purchase will probably be a revolver, so that'll bump me to 50%! I love wheelguns, you can beat them for class.

I'll get a .22 revolver eventually, maybe a bearcat for single action awesomeness.

Not all of us younguns are blinded by polymer wunderguns [smile]

Reason I don't usually recommend a 617 for a first gun is that A) they're expensive - somewhere in the $600 range, I think - and B) last winter, at least, they were darn hard to find. S&W just didn't have them in the pipeline.

And Taurus revolvers aren't MA compliant. (And I've also heard some complaints about them, too). And I hear from my favorite FFL that Ruger Bearcats are pretty tough to come by, also.

Bear Cats are hard to come by but the Single Sixes are plentiful. I passed on a mint Bearcat last weekend and another a couple of weeks before. They are out there.

The cost of the SW is the reason I said get a Ruger first. Once you get hooked on a SSix, you will want to go to the S&W to step it up a notch.

Back
Top Bottom