• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Recommendations for a hand cannon

basscatfrank

NES Member
I've decided that my next totally irrational purchase will be a large caliber, menacing looking hand gun. Don't really need it, I just want it and that's the best reason there is. So, I'm looking for something in a .44M revolver with at least a 6 inch ribbed barrel. I'm feeling the need to get my Dirty Harry on. I've done a little window shopping but I'd like to tap into some real world experience. What say you?

I am considering selling a Smith and Wesson .460ES magnum. Stainless 2 inch - X frame- craziest thing I have ever shot. M if this interests you for sale or possible trade. I bought it on a whim- love it but don;t shoot it much. Don

How about a Ruger Super Redhawk

Ruger® Super Redhawk® Double-Action Revolver Model 5505

5505.jpg

I've decided that my next totally irrational purchase will be a large caliber, menacing looking hand gun. Don't really need it, I just want it and that's the best reason there is. So, I'm looking for something in a .44M revolver with at least a 6 inch ribbed barrel. I'm feeling the need to get my Dirty Harry on. I've done a little window shopping but I'd like to tap into some real world experience. What say you?

I hope you reload if you go with .44 Magnum or larger.

I second the 500 if you want a REAL cannon. But if you're deadset on a 44, You should look into a S&W 629 Classic DX. Beautiful gun, and damn accurate.

Lyman Great Plains Pistol in .54 Caliber. I built one from a kit. It's a front stuffer..a single shot.. load that beast with FFFg black powder and stuff a .54 caliber chunk of lead on top of that..
..touch it off and it ROARS... and belches fire and smoke.. the resulting cloud and the sulpher stink are AWESOME!

Last edited:
It may not be in the hand cannon category but ive taken a liking to the S&W R8. Im not a wheel gun guy but I hope to pick one of these up some day.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk

I know you said you wanted a .44 or higher, but I'd suggest that a .357 with a 6" barrel would fit into the "hand cannon" category.

I know you said you wanted a .44 or higher, but I'd suggest that a .357 with a 6" barrel would fit into the "hand cannon" category.

I like this idea. Already having a .38 snubbie, it's my nightstand gun, makes getting a .357 a sensible compromise. Let's hear some suggestions for some specific examples of what to look for and what to stay away from.

I like this idea. Already having a .38 snubbie, it's my nightstand gun, makes getting a .357 a sensible compromise. Let's hear some suggestions for some specific examples of what to look for and what to stay away from.

Build a 300 AAC Blackout pistol... You know you want to. Plus, you can have 30 rounds in the mag (easily)... [rofl2] Plus you have lots of projectile options, and loads. Supersonic, subsonic (put a can on that and go 'movie quiet')... I'll have my 10.5" barrel today (if USPS doesn't fail me) and muzzle brake to complete my build.

I own a Ruger GP100 with a 4" barrel and it's a great range gun as well as bump-in-the-night bedside companion.

I have used a S&W 686 with a 6" barrel and that's a great gun too.

People here on NES say stay away from Taurus for any gun, I have not used one, but have read the horror stories.

I would say to get the chrome finish if you're using it for a bedside gat (so you can see the darn thing in the dark).

That's my 2¢ on the .357 -- oh, and you can use .38 if you're taking the wife or children to go shooting [grin]

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom