• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Recommendations for a hand cannon

this thread sucks.

now i want a 629 pre lock. and one of them thar howdah pistols

how do you like the howdah dave? you should post a video of shooting it.

I post this before. 44 mag, SW460 & SW500. Among 3 caliber, SW500 still get most fun. I always get a smiley face after each bullet. SW460 can get a good fireball and also fun to shoot. The 44 mag become my safe queen. Haven't seen much action for a long time.

P1000233.jpg

Irrational you say? why not an Obrez? only few hundred dollars including the tax stamp, cheap ammo, and guaranteed to piss off everyone at the range!

THIS. I plan on making one as well. Grab one of those cheapo beat-to-**** Chinese Mosins and hack away.

When you fill out the BAFTE form and it asks for a reason, list something like "I don't like having my wrists work as nature intended"

Aren't enough Howdah fans these days. Ever since I saw an over under one in a book, I've wanted to make a cartridge one in 20 gauge and load it with full brass slugs. Or maybe a in .50 deagle brand deagle express [grin]

Heres a crappy video of me shooting the Howdah. I think this was at only around 45 grains of BP with a .61 round ball. Very heavy pistol so recoil is not bad at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ruger Alaskan in .44.

I saw the Rock carry one in a shitty B movie and loved it.

Likely not practical for carry, especially with the cost of THAT ammo - I actually have a hand cannon of my own that I love - a 4" 686 that I tote in a FightNGear IWB holster (Ive gotta get around to a review of that holster).

Heres a crappy video of me shooting the Howdah. I think this was at only around 45 grains of BP with a .61 round ball. Very heavy pistol so recoil is not bad at all.

This is easy to make. Buy yourself a cheapie black powder shotgun. Cut the stock off it and then cut the bbl down to the length of your choice.

perfectly legal. the feds don't consider it to be a firearm since its a muzzle loader.

I'm not sure of how ma treats this but in RI, CT, NH, VT, and ME, this would be perfectly legal.

So, I too am considering the "Hand Cannon". You recommend the SW .500 with a 4" barrel? So a .500 with a 4" barrel isn't going to break my wrist? Because I really like the look with the 4" barrel and I do want to be stylish as well. Has anyone here ever fired a .500 with a 4" barrel?

Yup

securedownload-2.jpg

How do you know he's actually firing a gun? I think this is a fake and he just has a aerosol can and lighter.
[smile]

I have the 500 with a 8 3/8 barrell. I never shot the 4 inch but would like to. Me personally, I like the look and feel of the 8 3/8 barrell, nice and balanced.

Personally, I've always wanted a .454 Casull, but I've held off cuz I was worried about what old Ray Lentine would think when I showed up with one at a bass tournament (inside joke).

I have wrists like a 11 year old girl (at 6'3" close to 300lbs, it's embarrassing [laugh]) and I own a 500. As long as you consciously remember what you're holding, you'll be fine. They're a LOT of fun. In my opinion, the hardest part of overcoming the 500 is getting past the flinch set in by its reputation!!!!

Dunno if it's a good test, but I shot an 8 inch oak with mine at 50 feet. The tree never slowed it down....it just kept going into the 50 yd berm with a wack!

Here's Hickcock45's take on the 500. He seems afraid of it.

Don't hide from a 500 behind a block wall!

I love his range!

Also consider the Ruger chambered in .454 Casull. Its a great handgun if you ever want to get into hunting.

I love my S+W 500 with a 4" barrel. If you ever go hunting in Montana or any big sky country having that 4" S+W 500 on your hip gives you a great deal of comfort knowing you have a firearm that will not malfunction. EddieCoyle has probably pushed more lead down range with his than most people would do in two life times and to my knowledge it never failed him.... Good enough reason for me to purchase one..

If you like the S&W X frame and also like .454 Casul, consider the .460 S&W.

I got one for deer hunting, but it can also use .454 Casul and .45 Colt. As strange as it sounds, 454s are total pussycats in that gun. Of course it weighs 5 lbs.

Here's my wife posing with it. The first thing she said when she picked it up was WOW. THIS IS A LOT HEAVIER THAN MY GLOCK.

Back
Top Bottom