• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Recommendations For A Reasonably Accurate .22 Rimfire Rifle

I know OP already stated he has a 10/22, but with a bull barrel and and a stock trigger I can pull off (sub?) MOA groups at 100 with CCI SV. That’s a 5 shot group. View attachment 642393

Edit- While CCI SV is far from spendy, it’s consistent.
Note here: IF you find any ammo that does well in your rifle Do Everything you can to buy a good amount of the SAME lot Number.
I broke into a “new lot # of CCI SV “ which the last 5k rounds did very good through my 513 and KIDD barrel 10/22.
This lot number ….not so much

Any how list of ammo that tends to do well for me no particular order
CCI SV
Wolf Match - if you can find it
SK
norma
Some of lower end Eley

Of corse the higher end match can really shine but spending $15-$24/50 is not always fun.

I would love to snag a nice LH bolt 22lr at some point. Although I need to sell all the 22s I dont use!

My 513 and 10/22 will get down to MOA territory with GOOD ammo and when I am shooting well.

Last edited:
CZ, BRNO, or since you have the magazines the Ruger precision

You'll want good glass & ammo.

Americans buy an expensive rifle and slap a cheap scope on it.

The Europeans do the opposite

Didn't see this mentioned:

I have no personal experience with this one but will throw out that I have a buddy that had one. It was a a nicely built rifle but jammed ALLOT. It went back to the factory twice before he finally sold it off. Too bad. T/C makes nice barrels.

FWIW, I've owned (5-6?) dozen 22 rifles in my time. (I still keep near 15 now.) Some good, some horrible. Generally, the bolt guns were superior to the semi autos when it came to accuracy and reliability. IMHO, the best options out there right now are the CZ 457 bolt actions. Completely modular and upgradable like a Ruger 10/22 but chances are you won't need too. They also sport nice adjustable triggers, great quality , and super reliability. I currently have 4 , 457's and all will shoot under a 1/2" at 50 yds (and 1" at 100) with good ammo when I do my part.

Last edited:
Maybe too late but I haven't seen Savage mentioned. I have a Savage BSEV in 17HMR but it's also available in .22LR and .22 magnum. Their getting up there in price (but what isn't?), about $700.00 MSRP. They have a 5 round mag (which feel cheap but they work) and the accutrigger, a very nice system and it's completely free floating on a barracuda stock. I added a set of quick release swivels (including the studs (two rears as they are longer)), A BDC scope with side parallax adj., a Harris swivel bipod with a lock lever and a Brownells Latigo sling. It's substantial weight wise for a rimfire.

It's down right boring with no wind. At 50 yards I can take the heads off of small green army men. At 100, I get one small ragged hole center in the red cherry with just a setting change on the BDC. The best part is when somebody wants to know the color, you can say all of them.

Savage BSEV image small.jpg

I know it's the cool thing to do to shit on current production Marlin but the XT-22 bolt action is pretty decent with reliability and accuracy.

i believe mr. @enbloc has one. i remember he was very high on it when it came out. maybe he can post his thoughts now that some time has gone by. although i think it was a glorified 10/22, it got decent write ups.
I have a TCr22.

I shoot it every week. 100 rounds per trip. Has never failed and is far more accurate than I am. I have well over 5k down the pipe.
Likes every ammo I throw at it, even Rem Golden Bullshits. It is super tight grouping with Federal AutoMatch (that I buy at Walmart for $21.15 for 325 which is about 6.5 cents per)

In my opinion, Thompson Cender makes a much better barrel than Ruger...

I love it...

More posts here: TCR22 Rifle
Last photos I posted before camera failure in 2018...

1661905057025.png
1661905076099.png
1661905097611.png
1661905119721.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom