Recommendations for MA Compliant .380 Semis

Buck F

NES Member
I have a friend who’s looking for a pocket rocket. Showed him my Sig P938 and he said it’s kinda heavy & doesn’t want to carry cocked & locked. He wants something really small so probably looking at a .380. Not interested in revolvers (showed him my LCRx). I mentioned the P238 which I owned before upgrading to the 938 but again we have the cocked & locked issue (don’t blame him and if someone’s not comfortable with it I’m not going to try and convince them). None of the Ruger .380s are MA Compliant. The Bodyguard is a piece of shit. Can’t think of any others.

Am going to get him to look at the LC9S and my Shield but guessing he’s going to want something smaller. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I have a newer bodyguard. Mines been flawless so far and wouldn’t/don’t hesitate to carry it in the summer months

Not a fan at all - hate the long, heavy DAO trigger. Everyone I know that ever had one got rid of it and upgraded.

Many can still be sold by private FTF sale, but not FFL dealer. The do come in from out-of-state owners who relocate, or sold by LE who are not restricted from FFL purchase like mere mortals.

The bodyguard is the only one I’m familiar with.

That said...

Compliance is retarded. Find what you want via private sale or find a dealer that understands the law. Read it carefully for yourself so you know what to look for. You can get Rivera or Kel-Tec or Kahr and any pistol you want.

THAT SAID....

It pisses me off that we need to have a secret handshake and experience as a paralegal to exercise a constitutional right, for $220 .380 pistols no less. I’ve always thought that the most worst MA garbage applies to cheap guns. Hi Points, Kel-Tec, and Taurus “garbage” are all many can afford.

The Glock 42 is a pretty nice .380. It's small, light and pretty accurate. It's not Ma. compliant, but honestly, that only means that a dealer can't legally sell you one, in Ma.. Anyone with a CCW can legally sell you one. Watch the NES classifides. They come up for sale with relative frequency. Approximately $500,00 to $600.00.

Last edited:
Not a fan at all - hate the long, heavy DAO trigger. Everyone I know that ever had one got rid of it and upgraded.
Galloway Precision sells a trigger kit. Magguts sells a mag kit. Install both and you've got an 8 round pocket pistol for less than you'd spend on a 238.

The Glock 42 is a pretty nice .380. It's small, light and pretty accurate. It's not Ma. compliant, but honestly, that only means that a dealer can't legally sell you one, in Ma.. Anyone with a CCW can legally sell you one. Watch the NES classifides. They come up for sale with relative frequency. Approximately $500,00 to $600.00.

This, not hard to find in classifieds, in fact there might be a few unsold.

You may not be a fan but your friend might be. And that long heavy trigger is exactly what you want in a pocket pistol. In a defensive situation that trigger is going to feel A LOT easier to pull.

Sorry to derail the thread but does anyone have experience with the Galloway trigger? Does it make a big difference? I've been thinking about it for the wife's BG.
She hates it bc of that trigger and I dont blame her. Looking for an LCPII for her.

Sorry to derail the thread but does anyone have experience with the Galloway trigger? Does it make a big difference? I've been thinking about it for the wife's BG.
She hates it bc of that trigger and I dont blame her. Looking for an LCPII for her.
I have it. It was a noticeable improvement, but it's still a stiff DA trigger pull.

Thanks for the comments. Re the Glock 42 & other non-compliant guns: I'm trying to help a friend who's a bit of a noob, he wants to buy new, from a dealer, w/ warranty, blah blah blah. I'm not fighting that battle.

Yea, I want that 938 too. Should sell my Shield, it holds down paper in the safe and that's it.

I have both, Shield for Winter carry and 938 for Summer (I had the 238, loved it, but ended up upgrading to the 938).

Back
Top Bottom