Recommendations for MA Compliant .380 Semis

You may not be a fan but your friend might be. And that long heavy trigger is exactly what you want in a pocket pistol. In a defensive situation that trigger is going to feel A LOT easier to pull.

I'm very familiar with the BG, I personally don't like it and won't carry it so I'm not going to recommend it. He's free to look on his own and ultimately he's going to make the decision.

Yea, I want that 938 too. Should sell my Shield, it holds down paper in the safe and that's it.

The 938 is a very nice handgun. 9mm in a .380 size package. Most guys that shoot mine, like it a lot, but the girls like it too. One of the few times the blonde asked for a small package.

Glock 42 sets the standard. Kahr P380 is a close second. Bodyguard is an extremely unpleasant pistol to shoot. Very snappy. Pretty useless pistol at a distance of more than 10'. If your friend is determined to buy new then he will have to move into the small 9mm's.

I have a friend who’s looking for a pocket rocket. Showed him my Sig P938 and he said it’s kinda heavy & doesn’t want to carry cocked & locked. He wants something really small so probably looking at a .380. Not interested in revolvers (showed him my LCRx). I mentioned the P238 which I owned before upgrading to the 938 but again we have the cocked & locked issue (don’t blame him and if someone’s not comfortable with it I’m not going to try and convince them). None of the Ruger .380s are MA Compliant. The Bodyguard is a piece of shit. Can’t think of any others.

Am going to get him to look at the LC9S and my Shield but guessing he’s going to want something smaller. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
I love my 238. I never got the cocked and locked argument, esp from guys who carry a striker fire with one in the chamber. That's cocked and locked too, and alot of those have no safety.

I think the 238 is pretty cool and I have one.

That said if all options were on the table.. I’d probably look at either an NAA or a Keltic.

Most of the 380s out there are better in a small 9mm format (glock and others). not many capture that true mouse gun format and feel and are more like upsized 32s.. if that is what he’s looking for.

seecamp 380.
I second this. Actually I recommend the .32 over the .380. Too much packed into a small frame imo and the .380 shortens the life of the gun. The LC9S is slightly bigger than the 938 but he may not mind it in his pocket. I had the bodyguard and even though I think it is a quality gun and also reliable, I carried my 938 over the bodyguard because it wasn’t any more uncomfortable in the pocket than the bodyguard. I only carried in the pocket a few times. I carry the Seecamp in my pocket daily as it disappears.

I’m a vote for a Bodyguard .380. I have around 1k through mine with one stove pipe. It been a very reliable hunk of junk that serves it’s purpose well

Jesus, I started this thread close to three years ago? Totally forgot I did. Since then I have dumped my 938 and bought a Bodyguard. My EDC is a 365. Bodyguard is for riding my bicycle. If I were made emperor today I’d ban the 938... how times change 😂😂😂😂.

Jesus, I started this thread close to three years ago? Totally forgot I did. Since then I have dumped my 938 and bought a Bodyguard. My EDC is a 365. Bodyguard is for riding my bicycle. If I were made emperor today I’d ban the 938... how times change 😂😂😂😂.
What about your friend that wanted a pocket rocket? What’s he carrying now?

A Glock 42 is fricken ginormous for modern .380 pistols. If he was to do that, just buy a G43 or a P365.

LCP .380s aren't bad since their modern models got better sights. It does have an almost staple gun like trigger though. Takes some getting used to.

What about your friend that wanted a pocket rocket? What’s he carrying now?

Lmao, great question!. He didn’t get anything in 2018. Or 2019. We had the same conversation in late January of 2020 (he’s a decent sized commercial client w renewals in March). It’s an annual conversation which always ends in a range invite that’s never followed up on.

In early March he calls me: Can you help me get a 365 (which is what he wanted after seeing mine in January). Told him they’re hard to come by, when do you want to go? Two weeks later he texts me again, asks if I can loan him something until he can go get a gun (w/ my help). He’s a high net worth individual that owns a recognizable business in the area w some 30-40 employees. He was frantic about his biz & things in general back then. Told him I’d take a ride over.

I brought him my Shield in 9mm that’s been sitting in the safe, a Vedder Light Tuck IWB holster, an Alabama pocket holster, a box of FMJ & a box of [cheap federal white box] JHP I had lying around. Did the transfer on the spot, told him when he gets his own gun he can give it back. Somewhat regret it because I know I won’t see the gun again, but I can certainly justify gifting it to him given the amount of business he has w me & the fact that I have no intention of carrying it again. Still like/miss having it tho. Over the Summer when I was getting ammo online w my TSUSA Prime membership and turning it around to friends/Fam for what I, paid for it I asked him if he wanted any ammo. No. Lol.

Another vote for the Sig P238, it’s BG380-esque but more reliable, steel frame, better trigger. Essentially, the P238 is better than the BG380 on paper and off paper in every category. I own its cousin, the Sig P938, and its been reliable, better trigger => better accuracy than the BG380.

Back
Top Bottom