Recommendations for revolver refinish

Picked up an older Model 10 with a nickel finish which looks to have pitting. Looking to either strip off the existing finish and reblue or have the nickel polished to see if it takes out some of the discoloring. Any suggestions on a Massachusetts company that could give an estimate on pricing?

Attachments

• 10 - 1.jpeg
    10 - 1.jpeg
    110.3 KB · Views: 3
Just don’t ask them to install sights on a Bodyguard…

That's some strange looking nickel finish,and the cylinder looks to be stainless steel.
Do you have a picture of the whole gun?

Picked up an older Model 10 with a nickel finish which looks to have pitting. Looking to either strip off the existing finish and reblue or have the nickel polished to see if it takes out some of the discoloring. Any suggestions on a Massachusetts company that could give an estimate on pricing?
No offense to MA gunsmiths, but all of the good refinishers are not in MA IMO.
I'd ship it to Ford's down in FL

or APW Cogan in AL

This is all they do. I don't think there's many dedicated plating/refinishers here in MA last I checked.

Mike sends guns out of state for nickel stripping. At least three or four years ago, that is. He was still doing hot blueing himself. Something about MA environmental/regulatory restrictions on chemicals for the stripping operation.

Last edited:
Greg Derr has posted many “de Nickel “ jobs . I have used Mr. Derr and also had the privilege of shooting one if his custom builds.

No offense to MA gunsmiths, but all of the good refinishers are not in MA IMO.
I'd ship it to Ford's down in FL

or APW Cogan in AL

This is all they do. I don't think there's many dedicated plating/refinishers here in MA last I checked.

The only issue with Ford's is their turnaround time, from what I hear anyway.

I had a great experience with having APW hard chrome a colt revolver for me. I'd highly recommend them, and hard chrome in general.

The only issue with Ford's is their turnaround time, from what I hear anyway.

I had a great experience with having APW hard chrome a colt revolver for me. I'd highly recommend them, and hard chrome in general.
I forgot about Precision Custom Guns in FL. They used to work at Ford's and started their own company. @Cedar Pond Firearms

They just posted some recent revolver refinish work on Facebook. They're well known in the CZ/1911 community.
60374E88-9B51-4A1D-A5F4-01C08B6B8B00.pngC5A83A4B-0C36-4D5D-9677-65BF3478119A.png31E5511A-5271-41CF-A4DF-AA481AB3CEE5.png

Sorry for the delay & thank you the responses. I was told that the finish is nickel, I just know that it now looks gross. Now thinking just to strip the finish and cerakote. Any suggestions on any local places would be appreciated .

Attachments

• 10 - 5.jpeg
    10 - 5.jpeg
    80 KB · Views: 3
  • 10 - 4.jpeg
    10 - 4.jpeg
    64.8 KB · Views: 2
  • 10 - 3.jpeg
    10 - 3.jpeg
    70.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 10 - 2.jpeg
    10 - 2.jpeg
    116.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 10 - 1.jpeg
    10 - 1.jpeg
    110.3 KB · Views: 2
  • 10 - 1 (1).jpeg
    10 - 1 (1).jpeg
    120.8 KB · Views: 2
I forgot about Precision Custom Guns in FL. They used to work at Ford's and started their own company. @Cedar Pond Firearms

They just posted some recent revolver refinish work on Facebook. They're well known in the CZ/1911 community.
View attachment 608742View attachment 608743View attachment 608744

Probably ok on that gun but not something I'd be particularly proud of or would show off for advertising purposes.
If that were a high end gun they would have destroyed it. Before pics show nice crisp lines. After pics show every edge ground and buffed round.

whats the story on that revolver? do you have any history? what's that #126 stamped on the frame under the cylinder latch? pretty neat gun, been ridden hard but doesn't look buggered up, just a rough finish.

i bought an old mod 10 a few years ago, minty except for a bunch of rust around the grip portion. no matter what i did that rust kept blooming so i sent it back to smith for treatment and reblue. they did a super job. of course any collector value was lost but i just wanted to shoot it anyway. they don't do that exact blue process any more but they took care in trying to get it close. any parts they changed they sent me back the originals. $230 was the cost for the refinish...4 years ago.

Gold tiger stripes.

Serious answer ...

@Cedar Pond Firearms

Color case hardened and bluing. With a nice wood grip would be so f*cking sexy, if I was a woman I would want your kids.

And you should really give these guys a call, no one is better than they are.

Screenshot_20220503-231714_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Probably ok on that gun but not something I'd be particularly proud of or would show off for advertising purposes.

Back
Top Bottom