Recommendations on 12 gauge shells?

I just bought a Benelli M4 tactical shotgun - and would like to get some inexpensive 12 gauge to take to the range and blow holes in paper targets with.

I confess to being somewhat ignorant on the range of 12 gauge ammo available.

I know Dicks has cases of 12 gauge available - what sort of price range should I be looking in and what sort of loads would be best for taking to the range for simple target practice?

Thats whats great about a shotgun you can try lots of loads.

For defense you can use:

Slugs 1 Bullet
00 buck 9-12 pelets
#4 buck not sure how many but alot more then 00

For play you can use any target loads that are cheap. stick with bigger / lower number pellets to blow things up!
The benelli is a great gun but any time you use a semi auto shotgun with lighter and heaver loads you may find some work better than others and there may be adjustments you can make to the gun to improve operation with your favorite load.

Good luck and have fun blowing holes in things up!

P.S. Fill some jugs with water and take them with you to the range and will have a blast.

Um, not to be insulting but you did say you were somewhat ignorant. Don't fire slugs down a barrel with a choke. A guy did that at my club last year and it looked like Elmer Fudd's gun after Daffy was through with it.

Um, not to be insulting but you did say you were somewhat ignorant. Don't fire slugs down a barrel with a choke. A guy did that at my club last year and it looked like Elmer Fudd's gun after Daffy was through with it.

ive put over 500 rounds of slugs through my benelli m4...which has a choke...

go get the k.o. slugs from dicks...i think its the cheapest stuff out there right now...i bought 500 rounds of that and remington slugger not too long ago...both function fine in the gun

dont use bird shot! the gun was built for either slugs or buckshot and will not cycle birdshot that well if at all

you got yourself a hell of a gun...load up the mag tube and put 1 in the chamber then squeeze as fast as you can and you will know why its called a "room broom"...the gun kicks more like an ak than a 12 gauge...i could shoot mine all day

When I bought the shotgun I got a rifled choke specifically for slugs.

Other than that I do not have any chokes (yet) for the gun.

I had a feeling that Dick's probably was a good place to go for shotgun shells for decent prices. I will stick with the slugs or buckshot - thanks for all the advice.....

When I bought the shotgun I got a rifled choke specifically for slugs.

it didnt come with a choke? it should come with the factory choke

if your going to dicks get the brenekke k.o. stuff...think its like $2.99 a box...at least it was last time i got it

it didnt come with a choke? it should come with the factory choke

if your going to dicks get the brenekke k.o. stuff...think its like $2.99 a box...at least it was last time i got it

It did come with the factory choke insert (which is unrifled) - they recommended a rifled choke for shooting slugs to get some spin on them for better accuracy, for anything other than a slug I would use the factory choke insert (for now)

Other than that I do not have any chokes (yet) for the gun.
/QUOTE]

If you use choke tubes be careful and make sure you use ammo and tube combinations that are compatible. If you get a Improved cylinder choke you can shoot anything out of it. Some rifled barrels/ tubes are designed for sabot slugs. So I would read your book.

Last March I took David Keniks shotgun class with some NES members and I looked for the cheapest buckshot that would cycle my FN SLP. Rio was half price of all the others and worked all day and I have had no problems with it yet. My 2 cents.

I bought my slugs from walmart while shooting them at the range.
I think they go for like 12 bucks for 15 rounds of slugs...

Turkey loads cycle well with the M4 so you can try magnum loads for birdshot.

The M4 is awesome, the recoil is reduced significantly VS my old remington 870. I went thru 50 slugs today and my shoulder doesnt hurt a bit.

Back
Top Bottom