• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Recommendations on a good .308 bolt action rifle?

John2006

NES Member
Hey Guys,

I have a pretty large gift card burning a hole in my pocket to Bass Pro Shop and am thinking of buying a nice, bolt action rifle in .308 (I have a bunch of match grade ammo laying around). Anyway, does anyone have any recommendations on something in the $500-$1000 range Bass might stock?

Thanks,
John

The wife was looking for a .223/5.56 bolt gun last year. Contenders were the Remington 700, Howa 1500, and Savage Model 10 (110?).

Factory stocks on the Savage rifles sucked, and she hated the flat factory knob on the Rem 700, so she'd narrowed it down to just the Howa before picking up a CZ and absolutely loving it. A kevlar varmint CZ in .308 should come in nicely under a grand, and the kevlar/aluminum stock and single set trigger are outstanding. They've recently gone to a benchrest type stock in the kevlar varmint setups, but there are several other packages with nice kevlar stocks. Just wish I could get a duplicate in .30-06.

The Howa was a nice gun, just didn't seem as polished as the CZ.

That said, the 700 is very nice, and I wouldn't hesitate to pick one up and have a custom bolt handle done.

I have a savage 10fcp-k and I love it, the only reason I am gonna sell it is because I have a custom 300SAUM being built and I cant afford to keep both. The stocks are a little cheap feeling but they work. I love Rem 700s but not in 308, the throats are so long that if you try to reload for them you run out of space in the box mag. I would buy a cheaper savage without the accustock and buy an upgrade stock and you will have a great shooter.

I have a Savage 110 BA in 300WM. Excellent value for the money. No complaints with regard to the stock. I have a Sako TRG in .308. Much nicer but also much more $$$. I think the Savage is a good deal.

I have a new Ruger M77 in .308 and love it - mine is the ultralight/featherweight model. The bolt/action was a bit tight at first but smoothed right out after working it back and forth and doing a ton of dry firing. The trigger has ZERO creep and breaks like a thin piece of glass.

Read your initial post so everything I wrote was wrong.....

But get a Remington 700, 5R if they have it. Thousands of accessories.

I have a Savage Mod 10, pre accu-trigger and it is a great starter gun. Most guns in this class will outshoot the owner *G*

Start with what you want it for:

Will it be a dedicated target rifle?
Bench Rest? Prone? 3 Position?
A combo Hunting / Target Rifle ?
What kind of hunting? Varmint? Preditor? Medium Game?
I have a 12lbs Remington 700 with a Aluminum & Kevlar stock and 26' heavy varmint barrel, its not a rifle you want to carry through the woods for a day of hunting.

A stalk/scout rifle?

Does your 500-1000 budget include glass or just the rifle? Are you looking for an iron sight set-up or dedicated glass?

Savage with Accutrigger. I have a 10fp in .308 and like it a lot.

+1 I also have a 10FP with an aftermarket stock that shoots way better than I do..... If you are planning to hunt and you don't want the weight of the 10FP bull barrel you might want to check out the 110 in 308.....

remington 700. so many options to choose from. i have the LTR, friend has the PSS, another friend has the PSS 5R. all are nice rifles.

+1 on the Remington 700 i have a 700 aac sd and I love it . It will shoot 1/2 inch and under groups with ease off a front sand bag and rear bean bag shooting from a bench. Only mods i have done to the rifle is i bedded stock at the recoil lug for a tighter fit, and cleaned up the barrel channel for more clearance

I'd say if you want something that shoots great right out of the box, go with the Savage. If you want to buy something as a base and then customize it, go with the Remington 700.

I have both rem 700 and savage 10 in 308. My preference would be the savage 10.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Forum Runner

I picked up my Remington 700 sps in .308 from BPS and I'm loving it. Put on a KRG bolt knob and put a folding bipod for shooting at the range. I went with the standard sps as opposed to he tactical bc the tactical has a heavy barrel and this is a hunting rifle do I didn't want the extra pounds when carrying. The bipod is only for the range and will come off for hunting. Very accurate rifle and like others have said lots of aftermarket options. I think the rifle was under $600.

Rem 700, Savage or CZ.

those three are awesome rifles. CZ is by far superior to the other two, but the Rem700 is the jeep Wrangler of the Bolt action world. You can find anything you want for it, just like an AR or a 10/22. The 700 is followed by Savage in the aftermarket world and last comes CZ. But you dont need to add anything to a CZ, everything about it is quality and beautiful, no tactical stock BS, and most of them actually have iron sights, an art long lost in this country full of plastic tactishit rails.

Last edited:
Also one thing to consider if this is going to be a hunting rifle is that if something ever happens en route to a destination or while at a destination that you will most likely be able to find a gunsmith that can work on a Remington. Probably with a savage to but with some more exotic manufacturers maybe not so much.

Back
Top Bottom