• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Recommendation's on a sub compact

In the market for a sub compact. Probably a 380. Normally carry a shield but need something smaller that I can comfortably wear on my ankle. I know ankle carry is not the ideal place to carry but when I am working it is my only option. I know a few people with the bodyguard but thinking I want to go a different route. Not a fan of the long trigger pull and would rather have something different. A few friends carry the p238 and love it but am not sold on that either. Looking for under or around 5-600 bucks. Have some small revolvers and don't want to go that route. Would much rather an auto. Doesn't need to be new but something that will not be to difficult to get in Mass. Anyone have any recommendations?

S&W 642 .38 special fits the bill. Its what I use and very cheap. Other than that a Kahr PM9 is pretty damn small.

Have a snub 38 in the safe. Was the father in laws off duty carry weapon. He has since passed and the wife is very sentimental about his guns (he was an old school leo would only carry revolvers and didn't trust the autos) I have nothing against revolvers just think the hammerless ones look a little goofy LOL. She has her ltc but other than taking them out of the safe and showing them to our son and just looking at them she is not ok with carrying or firing them.

Will look into the 642. The price is right for sure. Like the idea of the kahr since it isn't as commen as the bodyguard and p238 but is priced nearly double of what the 642 is

I have always liked the simplicity of revolvers. Very basic. I kind of like that. Might go that route. I am assuming if I purchase a new 1 in mass and the trigger is a little heavy getting a trigger job done is pretty simple? ?

S&W 642 .38 special fits the bill. Its what I use and very cheap. Other than that a Kahr PM9 is pretty damn small.

+1. When you go for a small gun the 38 snubbie is you best choice. Depending on how brave you are, there is some great ammo available that will outperform the 380. A 2 inch snubbie is my definition of a "pocket gun"; one that can be fired from a (coat) pocket more than once.

Have you tried shooting any yet?
Ruger LCP or Kahr P380 make great ankle guns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not sure why you're dismissing the p238. I've been ankle carrying either that or the 938 for years in a DeSantis Apache with total comfort.

I have always liked the simplicity of revolvers. Very basic. I kind of like that. Might go that route. I am assuming if I purchase a new 1 in mass and the trigger is a little heavy getting a trigger job done is pretty simple? ?

They sell a spring kit to make the trigger bettet.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/375177/wolff-shooters-spring-pack-s-and-w-j-frame-reduced-power

The kahr can be pricey but it can be found on here in the classifieds for pretty cheap at times.

jeeze, I dunno....you really want to spend 600 bucks on a gun to strap on your ankle? if I had to carry down there i'd just buy the bodyguard without the laser, learn to love the trigger pull, and be done with it. or find a used ruger lcr cheap somewhere.

jeeze, I dunno....you really want to spend 600 bucks on a gun to strap on your ankle? if I had to carry down there i'd just buy the bodyguard without the laser, learn to love the trigger pull, and be done with it. or find a used ruger lcr cheap somewhere.

Thats why I went with the 642, 400 out the door and even if it gets a little dirty it'll always go bang.

revolvers in MA have the same trigger as the free world.

ruger LCR has a fantastic trigger.

I'm not sure why you're dismissing the p238. I've been ankle carrying either that or the 938 for years in a DeSantis Apache with total comfort.

Not dismissing it. Have a few friends that own them and they have nothing but good things to say about them. A little pricey. I have pretty much dismissed the bodyguard but the p28 is still on the list (just a little lower on the list due to the price)

small autos usually have more cycling issues, small revolvers usually kick alot with hot ammo. choose your poison. i am looking to get another j frame for sheer reliability and pocket shooting capability.

revolvers in MA have the same trigger as the free world.

ruger LCR has a fantastic trigger.

Slightly off topic but why do the revolvers have a normal trigger when our new mass compliant autos have a heavy trigger? This does not make alot of sense to me. I do know this is Massachusetts and not much makes sense here LOL

Slightly off topic but why do the revolvers have a normal trigger when our new mass compliant autos have a heavy trigger? This does not make alot of sense to me. I do know this is Massachusetts and not much makes sense here LOL

Read 940 CMR 16.

If you want a semi auto that has a better trigger pull than a snubbie revolver, then you should get yourself a glock 42. Things pretty damn small. One of my favorite guns and everyday carry gun. Recoil is like a cap gun and mine's very accurate to boot.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

You can use s &w 638 airweight. It has a bobed hammer so u can still pocket carry as well sig p938 is a hair bigger then the sigp238

Not dismissing it. Have a few friends that own them and they have nothing but good things to say about them. A little pricey. I have pretty much dismissed the bodyguard but the p28 is still on the list (just a little lower on the list due to the price)

Understood. I got my 938 NIB for under $550 OTD, which was a steal. The point is, they're out there at more competitive prices. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom