Recommended 12ga pellet size / weight for trap

Hi all. Tried trap shooting for the first time last weekend, and am now completely hooked on it. A couple of the much better shooters said I was handicapping myself shooting 7.5 load with 1 oz pellets with a modified choke (it's all I had, not that I knew better lol).

I ordered a full choke today, but was wondering everyone's thoughts on shot selection / pellet weight? Or any other considerations?

I am using a Winchester 1300 in 12ga, and the trap box is about 15 yards out from the shooting stations, so I'm guessing by the time I fire I'm looking at at least 35-40+ yards.

Thanks!

I like 1 1/8 of # 8 but everybody has their own ideas find what works for you best. I figure the more lead I can get out there the better of a chance I have.The trap house is 16 yards from where you shoot.

#7.5 is what I always use...pretty standard. 1 1/8oz Not much difference from #8. Modified choke is fine unless you plan on backing up to the 25 yd stations. That's when you want to screw in your full choke. What the heck, try the choke at 16yds and see what your scores are. Have fun! Don't take it too seriously.

Last edited:
ATA rules are: 1 1/8 ounce max load, 7 1/2 max pellet size.

I've seen 7/8 ounce and # 8 used quite effectively.

WHatever you get for trap loads at wallyworld, or wherever it's cheap, it should be fine. Most people use full, but modified is fine, too.

One of the best ways to start an argument at a trap facility is to ask, "what's the best [insert noun here]?" [laugh]

Shoot what you have. Ask for advice from prople that break more birds than you. I say that 80% of Trap Knowledge can be taught, the rest you have to figure out for yourself, as things like stance, timing, choke, ammo, etc. are all very personal.

Until one bird out of 50 makes a real difference, as a practical matter any target ammo is fine. If you can shoot more rounds with Estate than STS, you'll do better shooting the more rounds.

When one bird out of 100 is important, then worry about a new gun.

Also, pay attention to how the good shooters time their shots - most shoot so that the bird's within 30-35 yards - less time for the wind to mess with it.

enjoy the orange kool aid!

[grin]

I like 1 1/8 of # 8 but everybody has their own ideas find what works for you best. I figure the more lead I can get out there the better of a chance I have.The trap house is 16 yards from where you shoot.

Ditto. 1 1/8 of #8 out of a modified choke.

I like the #8 Federal value pack. I know some people don't care for the Federal, but I like the smell of it... breathing in through my nose when I break my action is part of my routine. Right now I am using a modified choke because I lost my mojo. Once I get it back, I will switch back to a full choke.

7 1/2 or 8, one oz or 1/8 really doesn't matter. Mod or IM choke will work fine, full is overkill and loved by old guys (the older the shooter the tighter the choke)

Take the time to pattern your gun so you understand how it performs with the choke/ammo combo. Determine your point of aim so you know where it shoots. You wouldn't shoot a rifle without sighting in the scope, I'm amazed how many shotgun shooters never pattern or determine the Point of Aim.

check out: www.shotgunworld.com

I use my home made shot which is a a mix of 7 1/2s/8s with a charge weight of 7/8oz Choke for 16yard improved modified from 16. Be more concerened with your gun fit. Pattern your gun @ 13yards. see where your gun is shooting high/low left right.

if you look for the charts that show aprox pellet count per oz vs shot size theres not a heck of a lot of difference.
Use 1 1/8 oz 7 1/2s for phycological advantage heaviest payload and biggest pellet, bigger is better right.

If your gun is shooting where your looking( At the target and not the sights) payload should not matter much until you step back in yardage. focus more on fundementals

Thanks everyone. So the clear lesson here is that when you miss 20 birds, the issue isn't the shot weight... [smile] I'll have to thank those guys next time I see them for teeing the excuses up for me lol!

rep308, thanks for the link, very helpful, as I'll admit to having never patterned my shotgun before.

If you're getting your excuses lined up, you're well along the way to trap shooting.

If you're truly new, then just going out to the line and shooting is not the best first step. With new shooters I like to lock the trap on straight-aways, and have them get used to crushing them when they're "easy". Then, I move them to the side, to get a bit of swing involved.

As stated above, fit is all important "No fit, no hit". The gun's fit determines a lot, including where it throws the shot. Patterning is a good first step.

as for missing 20 birds....don't sweat it - one of our club's better shooters went 0/50 when he started! Once you break a few, you get an idea of what the "sight picture" should be.

There's a lot to think about when you're shooting....and that makes you concentrate on the wrong things! Practice develops automaticity (LOVE that work) which frees up "Mindwith" so you can concentrate on the bird. That's what allows you to crush them.

Keep shooting, and don't take it too seriously.....until there's $ on the line! [laugh]

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom