Recommended 45ACP Target Projectiles?

Mountain

NES Member
Did a search and the closest thread to this was from 2015. Probably time to update. [smile]

What's your favorite 45ACP target projectiles? Configuration and weight? Something like a 200 grain SWC? I like to cast for the less common stuff but for 45's I think there are plenty of options for cast and coated bullets. Or should I look at plated bullets? I'll be shooting a mix of paper and steel plates with 1911's and a P220. A load that cycles reliably and is relatively accurate is all I need. No need to push for powder puff nor snappy loads.

For now I have CFE Pistol powder, though I'm open to others. I have a pile of brass, the powder, primers, and now thanks to a nice NES Karma a nice set of RCBS carbide dies. Time for me to start loading and stop buying skinflint factory ammo.

Many thanks for any advice.

Did a search and the closest thread to this was from 2015. Probably time to update. [smile]

What's your favorite 45ACP target projectiles? Configuration and weight? Something like a 200 grain SWC? I like to cast for the less common stuff but for 45's I think there are plenty of options for cast and coated bullets. Or should I look at plated bullets? I'll be shooting a mix of paper and steel plates with 1911's and a P220. A load that cycles reliably and is relatively accurate is all I need. No need to push for powder puff nor snappy loads.

For now I have CFE Pistol powder, though I'm open to others. I have a pile of brass, the powder, primers, and now thanks to a nice NES Karma a nice set of RCBS carbide dies. Time for me to start loading and stop buying skinflint factory ammo.

Use coupon summit10%

For competition, 185 gr. lead swc. For carry, Remington Golden Sabers 230 gr. - HANDS DOWN. The brass jacket goes through walls and windshields. 185 is good, too!

Last edited:
Zero brand 200 grain swc over 4.6 grains bullseye. That load has been around for bullseye shooting forever.....and there is a reason for it.

I like 185 gn SWC cast with what ever you got, I use clays powder, I load up until I achieve 100% function they are powder puffs for sure. For those trying to cut a few mili seconds off their time might not like waiting for the slide to cycle

I typically go with 185 or 200gr copper plated ... just makes the whole process a tad cleaner than LSWC :) FWIW, I also shoot them over CFE-P and through a P220 and 1911 types. All fun, no problems at all.

CC

I typically go with 185 or 200gr copper plated ... just makes the whole process a tad cleaner than LSWC :) FWIW, I also shoot them over CFE-P and through a P220 and 1911 types. All fun, no problems at all.

CC
Sometimes I get lazy and lee tumble lube them. Nice and smokey ,lol

I reload these for 45 ACP using 5.4gr N320.

For 460 (which are also .452), I use RMR bullets and H110:
"45 230 Gr. Full Metal Jacket Round Nose"

I have roughly 100lbs of 45 bullets I cast that I need to lube, I just have been lazy to lube them and work a new powder load. I think I will work on that this winter.

Back
Top Bottom