• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Red Cross asks for 50 Ham Radio operators to fly to Puerto Rico for 3 weeks

JJ4

any volunteers?

via Slashdot:

Red Cross Asks For 50 Ham Radio Operators To Fly To Puerto Rico

Bruce Perens writes:The red cross has asked for 50 ham radio operators to fly to Puerto Rico and be deployed there for up to three weeks. This is unprecedented in the 75-year cooperation between Red Cross and ARRL, the national organization of ham radio operators for the U.S. The operators will relay health-and-welfare messages and provide communications links where those are missing and are essential to rescue and recovery. With much infrastructure destroyed, short-wave radio is a critical means of communicating from Puerto Rico to the Mainland at this time.

Nope....can't have a gun to protect yourself.

They don't need 50 ham operators, they need 50,000 generators, 1 million extension cords, a desalination plant that can provide 100,000 gallons of fresh drinking water a day, 50,000 tons of food supplies, 500,000 portable shelters, and all the tools and heavy equipment necessary to clear the debris from the roads.

Fifty ham operators.....that's so F'ing laughable its bordering on ludicrous. The government could send down two commo battalions of combined services and have the island back on the air in a day.

Nope....can't have a gun to protect yourself.

They don't need 50 ham operators, they need 50,000 generators, 1 million extension cords, a desalination plant that can provide 100,000 gallons of fresh drinking water a day, 50,000 tons of food supplies, 500,000 portable shelters, and all the tools and heavy equipment necessary to clear the debris from the roads.

Fifty ham operators.....that's so F'ing laughable its bordering on ludicrous. The government could send down two commo battalions of combined services and have the island back on the air in a day.

Well, I'm guessing that sending 50 hams is a shit ton cheaper than a battalion of commo guys. Hams are more self sufficient and far cheaper to support. Remember, community service is one of the charter items of the ham community.

This was more for well being messages back to the mainland.

Well, I'm guessing that sending 50 hams is a shit ton cheaper than a battalion of commo guys. Hams are more self sufficient and far cheaper to support. Remember, community service is one of the charter items of the ham community.

This was more for well being messages back to the mainland.

There's hundreds of licensed hams that already live there. Are they not capable of setting up a couple of working HF stations and or digital stations? They are probably far more adept to sparse conditions than someone from stateside.

I think this is just a "Never let a good crisis go to waste" publicity stunt by the Red Cross and certainly by the ARRL.

The best thing hams could do is stay well away from any operating frequencies, but you know they won't.

I've seen it a dozen times over the years, there's always someone who will deliberately operate close enough to just be splattering into the passband of an emergency net.

As for cheaper, a commo battalion gets paid whether they are sitting on their asses in the states or in the field doing what they are trained to do. they are also very well equipped.

EDIT: The as$holes in 5 land are already interfering with a net on 14.270 usb.

Last edited:
More importantly, anyone with fuel for said generator...

There's fuel there, there's just no electricity. Their poles and wires are all down.

You find some gas or diesel topside (lots of vehicles around that some could be salvaged from), fuel a generator, hook it into the breaker panel(pulling the mains of course prior to hook up) and start pumping. Viola.....fuel for the masses, for a while anyway until a port is opened and roads cleared to replenish the tanks.

**** red cross

Just because it's the ARC, I can easily imagine that they will be well compensated for the services they provide to feed and house any volunteers who respond. They won't care if the volunteers can help in any effective way, just that the more who show up, the more ARC gets paid.

I'd highly suggest that anyone who's even remotely thinking of heading down there for any reason, make sure your shot records are up to date, cholera, malaria, typhus, typhoid, TB, meningitis, influenza, at the very least.

You'll be going into what is essentially a war zone for all practical purposes as far as hygiene and services go. And, you are not native to the area so your body will be a fresh host for everything that's out there to get you.

I'd also suggest you buy a suitcase full of "Life Straw" water filters and as many antibiotics as you can possibly get your hands on quickly, including ciprofloxacin and metronidazole for possible dysentery, and hand sanitizer.

Wash your hands often and keep them out of your mouth, off your food and away from your face and eyes.

Last edited:
There's fuel there, there's just no electricity. Their poles and wires are all down.

You find some gas or diesel topside (lots of vehicles around that some could be salvaged from), fuel a generator, hook it into the breaker panel(pulling the mains of course prior to hook up) and start pumping. Viola.....fuel for the masses, for a while anyway until a port is opened and roads cleared to replenish the tanks.

Every friend I have there says the opposite. No or little fuel.

This ^^^
my cousin lives there. It's a shit storm on a epic scale. Roads have to be cleared of anything and everything you can think off, no tankers are getting out of port to the stations.
Until the roads are cleared.

Oh, so they ran out prior to the storm due to panic buying? If that's the case then its already out in the public.

Otherwise, what fuel was there is still in the tanks and just needs electricity to pump it.

The island didn't cease to exist pre storm.

Oh, so they ran out prior to the storm due to panic buying? If that's the case then its already out in the public.

Otherwise, what fuel was there is still in the tanks and just needs electricity to pump it.

The island didn't cease to exist pre storm.

Not disagreeing with you on that. I think its due to the roads and bridges being washed out. Logistical nightmare....

Not disagreeing with you on that. I think its due to the roads and bridges being washed out. Logistical nightmare....

No doubt about it. That's why anyone even thinking about going there needs to really think about their own preparations before they depart and head to a place and become part of the problem rather than part of the solution.

No doubt about it. That's why anyone even thinking about going there needs to really think about their own preparations before they depart and head to a place and become part of the problem rather than part of the solution.
No argument from me there. I have a few friends there now as part of the federal response as well as numerous friends who live and work there and have family there. It is a bad situation for sure. So far no real issues with looting/crime which is a blessing... But the longer it goes who knows..

There's hundreds of licensed hams that already live there. Are they not capable of setting up a couple of working HF stations and or digital stations? They are probably far more adept to sparse conditions than someone from stateside.

I think this is just a "Never let a good crisis go to waste" publicity stunt by the Red Cross and certainly by the ARRL.

The best thing hams could do is stay well away from any operating frequencies, but you know they won't.

I've seen it a dozen times over the years, there's always someone who will deliberately operate close enough to just be splattering into the passband of an emergency net.

As for cheaper, a commo battalion gets paid whether they are sitting on their asses in the states or in the field doing what they are trained to do. they are also very well equipped.

EDIT: The as$holes in 5 land are already interfering with a net on 14.270 usb.

Heh...this is true sadly. But hey...if the hams down in PR could operate, I'd think they would already be doing so. My guess is that a lot of them are just trying to keep their shit together for their family and friends. Operating a HF station is probably the last thing on their minds right now.

Yeah...I know exactly what you mean by hams effing with emergency nets. Heard it plenty of times myself. Some people just don't give a crap about anyone else. Sad.

Heh...this is true sadly. But hey...if the hams down in PR could operate, I'd think they would already be doing so. My guess is that a lot of them are just trying to keep their shit together for their family and friends. Operating a HF station is probably the last thing on their minds right now.

Yeah...I know exactly what you mean by hams effing with emergency nets. Heard it plenty of times myself. Some people just don't give a crap about anyone else. Sad.

Pretty sure there is activity out of PR, but the greater percentage of it is likely limited to 100w DC operated rigs, NVIS antennas and spotty band conditions.
Yes lots else to do when the whole world around you is pretty much rubble.

Pretty sure there is activity out of PR, but the greater percentage of it is likely limited to 100w DC operated rigs, NVIS antennas and spotty band conditions.
Yes lots else to do when the whole world around you is pretty much rubble.

Yes, the pics I have been getting are BAD, everything destroyed, trees and poles down everywhere. I have several friends working the FEMA response from our agency and they can only get occasional comm out. ATM most of the response effort is SAR/Locating people. There is a push to waive the Jones act until the end of the year to help with distribution of supplies directly from foreign flagged vessels. Keep praying for them. That is about all we can do at the moment. That and donate money to relief organizations that are legit.

**** Puerto Rico. Bet they're not too quick to want to declare their independence now are they... That shit hole has been a leech on this country for too long. Now is as good a time as any to cut them loose. Up until now that's been what they've wanted anyway... Why deny them at this point.

A few years back there was an issue between the league and the ARC. The ARC instituted a policy that volunteers had to have background checks, including complete financial disclosure, for anyone who wanted to volunteer. That included not only ARC volunteers, but any Hams who wanted to volunteer.

A lot of Hams said no way, although I think the ARRL agreed to it. I don't know if it ever got resolved, but it's just one more reason I wouldn't give the ARC a steam off my s*** on a cold winters day.

**** Puerto Rico. Bet they're not too quick to want to declare their independence now are they... That shit hole has been a leech on this country for too long. Now is as good a time as any to cut them loose. Up until now that's been what they've wanted anyway... Why deny them at this point.

Do us a favor and take this shit to the off topic thread on PR. [offtopic]

Yes, the pics I have been getting are BAD, everything destroyed, trees and poles down everywhere. I have several friends working the FEMA response from our agency and they can only get occasional comm out. ATM most of the response effort is SAR/Locating people. There is a push to waive the Jones act until the end of the year to help with distribution of supplies directly from foreign flagged vessels. Keep praying for them. That is about all we can do at the moment. That and donate money to relief organizations that are legit.

Just heard that the White House has waived the Jones Act for the disaster recovery efforts. That should help.

Also, just got an email from the ARRL Field Service people. They are telling us that they would like people to use the ARC Safe and Well Service here : https://safeandwell.communityos.org/cms/index.php

The 50 HAMs going down there will be responsible for updating this via Winlink over HF. The ARRL doesn't really want inbound traffic to the island for now as it would tie up operators and there would be no way for any of the messages to get to their intended recipients.

I have heard a lot of PR operators on 20 meters the last two days. All have been speaking Spanish many talking about the heat. I don't think more ham operators are needed and I think they will just get in the way. This looks like a ARRL publicity stunt.

I have heard a lot of PR operators on 20 meters the last two days. All have been speaking Spanish many talking about the heat. I don't think more ham operators are needed and I think they will just get in the way. This looks like a ARRL publicity stunt.

I think the deal is that while some PR HAMs are operational, there really needs to be some organization around the "safe and well" aspect. If the ARC wants to pay the bill to send 50 HAMs to PR, I'm ok with that. Let them do their 3 weeks of community service and potentially bring some reassurance to families here on the mainland.

Back
Top Bottom