• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Reeds Ferry Sheds or Not

wilkoi

NES Member
Hi all, I have a storage shed in my yard that is perhaps 22/25 years old. It is starting to leak water on the inside walls, and will be a matter of time before the wood starts to rot. I would like to replace it with one that will last another 25/30 years, by then i will be at that big shooting range in the sky (or not).

My requirements are vinyl exterior, 8X16, 2 windows, 1 double door and one single door, ramp. There are many companies in New England that I can contact but thought I would ask the members.

Reeds Ferry seems to have a great reputation. But I do not want to overspend just for a brand name. Input from those who have had quality sheds installed, any brand, would be much appreciated.

I used Post Woodworking out of NH. My first one lasted ~20 years and the current one (larger) is now ~18 years old and other than the ramp and roof shingles needing replacement it is as good as it was when it was installed. Of course I paid extra for my second one to be made out of red cedar (bugs don't like it)! I'm about to replace the ramp with pressure treated wood (original isn't cedar or PT) to keep the bugs from eating it.

If you have the ability, build it yourself, it's not difficult. You can also hire a carpenter as a side job. 8' to me is too narrow, I think a good size is 12x16. The cost of materials (if you build it) doesn't go up that much with 12 deep.

If you have the ability, build it yourself, it's not difficult. You can also hire a carpenter as a side job. 8' to me is too narrow, I think a good size is 12x16. The cost of materials (if you build it) doesn't go up that much with 12 deep.

Agree on the size/depth. I couldn't back my lawn tractor into mine (10hp/34" cut)!!

Build it yourself, if visible from the street or a neighbor could run into issues with building inspectors . . . happened to a neighbor of mine, he was forced to rip it down due to someone ratting him out.

Built my own 25 years ago and it is still standing strong. Needs paint and the door needs some love but other than that it is solid. 1/4 the price of the pre-built stuff.

My dad built his in 1979 a few coats of stain and
shingles for the roof have been the only maintaince. I bet it will live longer than me.

Last edited:
Call Skip's Outdoor Accents in Sutton and ask for Don Greenwood. He's Anchor here on the forum. Great guy to deal with, he offers the shed you're looking for and he provides a discount to NES members. Worth giving him a call to see what kind of deal you can work out.

My boss bought one from Skip's about 18 years ago. I replaced the ramp last week. It did not come from Skip, I built it. The shed looks like new still.

Agree on the size/depth. I couldn't back my lawn tractor into mine (10hp/34" cut)!!

Build it yourself, if visible from the street or a neighbor could run into issues with building inspectors . . . happened to a neighbor of mine, he was forced to rip it down due to someone ratting him out.

Might depend on your town -- here's Barre Mass.:

SHED GUIDELINES
No Building Permit is necessary to construct a shed if it is less than 200 square feet. However, you are still expected to observe the setback requirements outlined in theZoning By-laws of the Town of Barre.
Setback is: minimum of 5' from the side & rear property lines.

Won't hurt to ask your building inspector how large you can make it without having to have a permit...
(or have a friend ask.....)

My town is 64 sq ft before you need a permit. Since my lot (3/4 acre) is "non-conforming (1 acre zone), I'd need ZBA approval, a 6-month process with fees ~$1000 including all the certified Mailings to all houses within 500', newspaper listings of hearings, etc. [BTDT for my addition, never again . . . not for a shed!]

My town is 64 sq ft before you need a permit. Since my lot (3/4 acre) is "non-conforming (1 acre zone), I'd need ZBA approval, a 6-month process with fees ~$1000 including all the certified Mailings to all houses within 500', newspaper listings of hearings, etc. [BTDT for my addition, never again . . . not for a shed!]
What's the fine for not getting a permit? Probably cheaper.

overpriced

My shed 12x12 5 yrs old, vinyl siding, plywood, 2x4 studs 16 on center. half the price.

2015-06-04_20-55-55.jpg

Last edited:
I've had excellent luck with Sheds USA marketed by the Mill Outlet Stores. I currently have a 10 X 16 with the configuration you want. It is 15 yo and made of pine. IMHO the key to shed longevity is having a PT base and regular maintenance. I just replaced the verticle trim boards that help keep the doors closed with Azek. I am going to purchase their potting shed in 8 X 8. They have been really nice people they really deal with.

I had a woman who worked for me purchase a really expensive post and beam shed. Carpenter ants got into the back corner near the woods and ate that back corner. Good luck with your decision and purchase!
Steve
They have vynal covered sheds and a good website.

If you have the time go to Reeds Ferry's yard and look at the sheds, take some pictures and get prices. Then look at other companies sheds compare quality and price. My uncle bought a cheap shed, 2x3 construction on 48" on centrer covered with particle board, it didn't last long with our winters.

Walked around the RF yard up in Londonderry, I think. Nice stuff. I could probably live comfortably in some of them, lol. Theyre not inexpensive though.

What's the fine for not getting a permit? Probably cheaper.

Every town is different. I "neglected" to get a permit 20 yrs ago and got ratted out. I was told if I didn't rush down to town hall the next day with a plot plan showing the location, and plans for the shed, and pay for a permit (if approved), then pass the inspection, they would begin fining me $1000 a day, until I tore it down!

So, time off work to straighten it out, and all was good. Some towns take these things seriously.

I was lucky we had a sympathetic building inspector at the time.

I got a RV shed. After 5 years the doors started to delaminate. Called on Tuesday and on Friday had brand new solid doors. Would buy from them again in a second!

Back
Top Bottom