• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

refinished / reblued C&R tell tale signs

Does this '57 Winchester 94 look like some surface rust has been removed and then reblued?
I'm a looking serious buyer of a good 94. It'll be a shooter so it's probably Ok,, can't go wrong with a 94 (unless the bore is rusted too).
It's being sold by a dude in Harvard, MA on a popular site. So my apologies if the dude is here on NES.
win1.jpg

win3.jpg
win2.jpg

sounds like you haven't seen the rifle in person yet. why don't you do that before forming an opinion thru photos.

I’m no expert by any stretch, but it doesn’t look reblued to me. There may have been surface rust that was scrubbed off, but if it was reblued, it’s a horrible job as you can see the surface defects clearly. The edge breaks are still crisp and straight. They usually end up softened after someone has tried to refinish a receiver. Looks like a nice rifle with normal wear for age.

Does this '57 Winchester 94 look like some surface rust has been removed and then reblued?
I'm a looking serious buyer of a good 94. It'll be a shooter so it's probably Ok,, can't go wrong with a 94 (unless the bore is rusted too).
It's being sold by a dude in Harvard, MA on a popular site. So my apologies if the dude is here on NES.
View attachment 614176

View attachment 614182
View attachment 614178
Its a shooter for you right? Talk down price for the finish.
Other than the finish - which looks like it was scrubbed pretty hard
Screws and pins look un molester.
Get eyes on it and check the bore.

Is the price right? If so, then buy it.

To answer your question, it doesn't look reblued to me, as others have said - but it does look well scrubbed. Maybe you can get a hundred of so off, especially if the seller doesn't have the box and papers it was sold with.

Hurry up before it's bought by someone less picky about minor stuff.

Back
Top Bottom