Refurbished Some Mags

S&WMan

NES Member
I wanted a couple of mags to match the color of the black rifle. I scrubbed them inside and out in a solution of Simple Green. After drying I prepped them for paint by wiping down with denatured alcohol. I hung them and sprayed with a few coats of Rustoleum High Heat BBQ paint. After drying I installed new AR Stoner springs and swapped out the old black GI followers with Magpul followers in foliage.image1_kindlephoto-525760365.jpg
I also wanted a couple of mags in dark gray. These got the same treatment, but I sprayed them with Rustolem Dark Gray Automotive Primer. It's a nice flat dark gray color. These also got new AR Stoner springs. I replaced the followers with new green GI followers.
image0_kindlephoto-525787448.jpg
I had some 20's that I wanted to refinish close to the light gray original color. I tried a lot of different gray spray paint but I was never happy with either the color or the sheen. So I ended up going with the Perma-Slik G. This is great heavy duty stuff though I feel the color is a little darker than the originals. it's supposed to replace the original slick anti-friction coating. These were prepped the same as the 30's, hung and sprayed with several costs of the Perma-Slik G. After drying I replaced the original springs with Wolff extra power 20 round springs. I replaced the followers with Brownell's black polymer 20 round followers.:)
image2-2_kindlephoto-525714180.jpg

Perma Slik G cures fast, Epoxy binder

The primer, shit will come off in your hands

the grill paint , cure that in a 450' oven for 1 hr and it will be solid. It stinks so dont do it in home kitchen

nice looking
I was thinking of trying the flat aluminum color

They look too nice to be 26 years old... [wink]
That's true. It shows that these can be restored to new condition with a little effort.
Years ago I seem to remember an NES member that had small cracks in the corner at the feed mouth of a preban. He used the aluminum brazing rods to repair the cracks. I thought the repair came out great. You can buy those rods at the home centers and a good quality propane, MAPP or maybe a butane torch will melt them. The key is to heat the work up enough to melt the rod and not let the torch melt the rod.
:)

Reviving an old thread.... I know I know. Where did you end up getting the Perma slik? I came across Perma slik on Youtube and then saw the price of $45 bucks shipped via SkyGeek..... At that price i'm debating on just leaving them weathered......

Cure that in a 450' oven for 1 hr and it will be solid.
It stinks so dont do it in home kitchen
Wait until the wife is out for the afternoon. Open windows. Cure. Clean oven with Easy Off or have it self clean. Your paint is cured, the oven finally gets cleaned and not only is the wife none the wiser, but you're such a hero to the wife she might even act like it's March 14th.

i'm a phony! i like the look of weathered mags, makes me look like an honest operator. but looks are deceiving, i do change the springs and the occasional follower.

Reviving an old thread.... I know I know. Where did you end up getting the Perma slik? I came across Perma slik on Youtube and then saw the price of $45 bucks shipped via SkyGeek..... At that price i'm debating on just leaving them weathered......
takes five plus years imo to be reviving an old thread! shit I've seen threads from 2007 pop up again...now that is reviving an old thread! you're just adding to the conversation good sir!

have no idea the quality of this stuff?

Back
Top Bottom