• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Registering a Canoe

Knob Creek

NES Member
So I've had this canoe for about 10 years. Bought it in a private sale. No bill of sale that I can find. Thinking about putting a trolling motor on it which means I have to now register it as a boat. Checking the Mass Web site I need Bill of Sale, Title application Ya Da Ya Da.... Called the office and its closed (Drum Roll) because of Covid. All applications are done by mail. You's think sticking a trolling motor on a Canoe would be easier. I remember when a trolling motor was OK with no registration.

So I've had this canoe for about 10 years. Bought it in a private sale. No bill of sale that I can find. Thinking about putting a trolling motor on it which means I have to now register it as a boat. Checking the Mass Web site I need Bill of Sale, Title application Ya Da Ya Da.... Called the office and its closed (Drum Roll) because of Covid. All applications are done by mail. You's think sticking a trolling motor on a Canoe would be easier. I remember when a trolling motor was OK with no registration.
Do they even have titles for canoes? a BOS could be faked easily enough if you know someone from out of state

Then you'll probably have to fill the thing with approved flotation gear, throw ring, fire ex., lights, etc. Have fun. Jack.
This part isn't true.

OP, I feel your pain. Super weak to have to register a canoe. I have a family canoe (been in the family for over 35 years). We used to put a trolling motor on it in the 80s. Now, I would have to register it? LOL, so f***ing stupid.

This part isn't true.

OP, I feel your pain. Super weak to have to register a canoe. I have a family canoe (been in the family for over 35 years). We used to put a trolling motor on it in the 80s. Now, I would have to register it? LOL, so f***ing stupid.
I'm thinking NH where it becomes a motor boat. Jack.

Write up your own bill of sale and go register it in NH. I bought a 17’ square stern from a fellow NES’r and wrote my own bill of sale, went to NH and registered it with no questions asked. My Lund is also registered up there also.

My only interaction with a MA ELEO since moving to MA 30 years ago was dealing with this.

My teenage son had been bugging me to let him put an old trolling motor on the canoe with lawn tractor battery. It came all rigged up and had reg numbers when I bought it used 10 years prior. So we messed around with it and I took him and a pal over to A1 in Westboro....ELEO followed us from route 9 to the pond. He hung back and waited until we were ready to launch...
"That canoe registered?"
"Nope".
Blah, Blah, Blah......"You have the title and BOS?"
"Nope".
"Then you'll never be able to register it......"
We yanked the egg beater off and he got his truck and left and the boys paddled away to catch some bass.
I appreciated him not giving me a ticket, as we had boat in water, but I kinda felt like he could have been using his time for something a little more important... [thinking]

You’re gonna need an MSO (Manufacturers statement of origin) and probably, a bill of sale. These can be forged. Just saying. Some people look online for a manufacturers MSO and alter it with their info. These are really bad people. lol

When I sold my jon boat I wrote a bill of sale on a piece of cardboard from a cereal box. If it has a hull ID number you should be able to reg it, if not you will have to get a hull sticker from the epo. Just try to call them, tell them you bought it years ago from some rando to paddle and no way to get in contact with them. Any boat with a motor has to have a registration in MA. Call the epo office they will probably tell you what to do to make it work. they don't want to deal with hassle either

When I sold my jon boat I wrote a bill of sale on a piece of cardboard from a cereal box. If it has a hull ID number you should be able to reg it, if not you will have to get a hull sticker from the epo. Just try to call them, tell them you bought it years ago from some rando to paddle and no way to get in contact with them. Any boat with a motor has to have a registration in MA. Call the epo office they will probably tell you what to do to make it work. they don't want to deal with hassle either
Thanks. I'll come up with a bill of sale. Canoe has a number on it. But forget calling them. They are not taking calls. Still playing the Covid card.

Yeah. While I'm ALWAYS the guy that gets caught, how often are the pond-police really out and about.

"You need to register that for a trolling motor, sir."

"ARE YOU SERIOUS? It's a 1hp trolling motor for crying out loud. I didn't know that."

And then move on.

$44 every 2 years otherwise. I'm looking at letting my Jon boat lapse next time. I think this year is a renewal year. I'll do this one and then not again unless I really think I'll use it.

Yeah. While I'm ALWAYS the guy that gets caught, how often are the pond-police really out and about.

I never saw conservation officers when I was in Mass - but they were probably wearing Ghille suits waiting for me to put on an old lead sinker.

When I moved up here last year, it took forever and an unmanly begging session for me to get my drivers license due to covaids. (The state wanted me to keep using my MA one, and I had to explain without my DL I can't get in state fishing license)

My wife told me to just go fishing, who's gonna know in the middle of the woods, right? I didn't listen to her, like always.

I finally got my license, first stop was the local gun store to pick up a rifle he had waiting for me and get my hunting / fishing license. Took my daughter shooting, and then we hit the river.

Two guys in a canoe come over and go to pull out 5 feet upstream from me. At first I thought "WTF, the whole river bank and they have pull out HERE?" Then I saw the badges when they asked me if I had a license. They were a little confused when I yelled to my wife "I TOLD YOU!!!"

So yeah, they'll be out and about if you don't want them to be.

isn't there a horsepower exemption? seems just a trolling motor should be exempt from reg laws. I thought that was the case back in the 80's when I was a kid.
or, I guess I got away with a few things.

isn't there a horsepower exemption? seems just a trolling motor should be exempt from reg laws. I thought that was the case back in the 80's when I was a kid.
or, I guess I got away with a few things.
If it's powered by anything other than human beings or wind.....it needs to be registered.

I never saw conservation officers when I was in Mass - but they were probably wearing Ghille suits waiting for me to put on an old lead sinker.

When I moved up here last year, it took forever and an unmanly begging session for me to get my drivers license due to covaids. (The state wanted me to keep using my MA one, and I had to explain without my DL I can't get in state fishing license)

My wife told me to just go fishing, who's gonna know in the middle of the woods, right? I didn't listen to her, like always.

I finally got my license, first stop was the local gun store to pick up a rifle he had waiting for me and get my hunting / fishing license. Took my daughter shooting, and then we hit the river.

Two guys in a canoe come over and go to pull out 5 feet upstream from me. At first I thought "WTF, the whole river bank and they have pull out HERE?" Then I saw the badges when they asked me if I had a license. They were a little confused when I yelled to my wife "I TOLD YOU!!!"

So yeah, they'll be out and about if you don't want them to be.

Watch out. You might be on North Woods Lawr. LOL

As far as teh etching, my boat guy said a really good printout photo is just as good. Saves you finding a pencil. We shall see. My reg. went in yesterday.

This is my little duck hunting boat I use on ponds and tidal rivers and marshes. It’s got a 55lb thrust motor hooked to a marine battery. When I first bought it years ago I had no idea I had to register something so puny but it is what it is. I let the reg lapse a few years ago because I rarely have time to use it anymore. Maybe twice a year and the places I bring it are pretty hidden. Driving through narrow woods paths scratching the sides of my 4runner (boat goes on the roof) kinda hidden.
8AE97F41-E875-4ACF-97DF-86C3ACE6B965.jpeg
D6B76B91-BC9D-4682-8B70-09D1CC5C1718.jpeg

It hasn't been that way in Mass since the 1970's when Mass joined the National Boating Safety Act.

Do they even have titles for canoes? a BOS could be faked easily enough if you know someone from out of state
Yes they do. Mass. will create the title for the vessel, after you jump through all the F***ING HOOPS. Have the BOS written from some one in New Hampshire. You most likely still will have to present the vessel for VIN inspection. By some one from Mass Env. Police.

I don't believe it was required of electric trolling motors on canoes until sometime after that.
Yes it was. I used to have to enforce that law. Anything with a motor, electric or internal Combustion, regardless of size.

Here is the date of that law: On August 10th, 1971, President Richard Nixon signed the Federal Boat Safety Act (FBSA). The act mandated a cooperative Federal-State effort to improve the safety of recreational boating in the United States.

So can one have an easier time registering with NH or ME instead of MA? Or are they all going to create pains for registering an old canoe or rowboat that has an electric motor run off a marine battery? No title or bill of sale available.

All the New England States require any Vessel that has a motor, Electric or Internal Combustion to be registered, I don't believe NH requires titling, Unsure about Maine, The only New England State that does not charge a sales tax is NH.

Back
Top Bottom