• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

registering a firearm

dannyk45

NES Member
I looked at a M1 Garand today that had no serial numbers on the receiver, it was a Springfield Armory. I would really like to buy this rifle because it is brand new. The barrel stamp was 64 IIRC . So is this legal for me to buy and if so how do I register it. Is there a year cutoff that doesn't require registration or serial number.

Last edited:
I looked at a M1 Garand today that had no serial numbers on the receiver, it was a Springfield Armory. I would really like to buy this rifle because it is brand new. The barrel stamp was 64 IIRC . So is this legal for me to buy and if so how do I register it. Is there a year cutoff that doesn't require registration or serial number.

You might want to double check that it doesn't have a serial #

Definitely doesn't on the receiver, there are numbers on the barrel bolt etc. Could this have been built by an employee and smuggled out.

Perhaps STOLEN from SA by an employee before being serialized?

I have seen a few M1 Carbines where the rear sight hung over the stamped info enough to make reading mfr and/or S/N difficult to read/find.

If it is as you say, I wouldn't touch it with a 20' pole. ALL M1 Garands were serialized. Therefore BATFE might take an "interest" in this one, and I wouldn't want to have that discussion.

Perhaps STOLEN from SA by an employee before being serialized?

I have seen a few M1 Carbines where the rear sight hung over the stamped info enough to make reading mfr and/or S/N difficult to read/find.

If it is as you say, I wouldn't touch it with a 20' pole. ALL M1 Garands were serialized. Therefore BATFE might take an "interest" in this one, and I wouldn't want to have that discussion.

I will stay away from that one but maybe like you said, I may have missed it. End of story previous post edited.

To my limited knowledge, the only exemptions to the serial number requirement are pre '68 .22's and pre 1898.

ALL M1 Garand's have serial numbers in this format:

SPRINGFIELD ARMORY
US RIFLE CAL 30 M1
XXXXXX

Substitute Springfield for Winchester, International Harvester, etc. but the all have serial numbers, The lowest number you could ever get your hands on (if you just hit powerball) is 81, 1-80 never left Springfield, and IIRC all other MFG's started with an allocated six digit s/n.

Could it perhaps be one of the Springfield Armory (Geneseo, IL) models that were produced for a time?

M1 Garand's serial numbers be here:

m4.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom