Registering My AR

I went in to buy a scar at four season they said it was illegal in the state .... two months later they have one on the wall

There's a good dozen people working there, so whoever you asked obviously didn't know. Ask Jimmy or Carl

There isn’t anything illegal about buying a rifle in another state as long as you are able to posses it in your home state. There would be no reason to stop the transaction.

BTW:
Read the link I posted about the Boston AR ban. It also includes magazines.

Bob
Wait so I can buy a pre-healey AR from a NH resident? If the AR has been registered in MA?

Last edited:
It has nothing to do with where your LTC was issued. Boston bans possession of (a list of) AWs and any rifle mag >10 rds (regardless of when it was made).

It pays to know the laws in the community you live in!! All the city/town bylaws for all cities/towns are online to read if one makes the effort.

Does that ban include pistol mags >10 rds as well? Ie: drive into Boston from outside the city for lunch with a pre ban Glock mag in my 19?

thank you

This.

Also, the FFL likely called the PD to verify that your LTC was valid so I would think twice before you decide to skip the EFA10.

You also need to make sure that any large cap magazines that came with the rifle are preban.

Bob

Huh??

No eFA10 should be completed when transferring a frame/receiver. It is not considered to be a firearm per the state of MA.

In fact, its impossible to do an eFA10 for a frame that doesn't involve lying on the form and therefore perjuring yourself. The form requires a barrel length. You can not complete the workflow without entering a barrel length. Entering a length so you can complete the form is a CRIMINAL ACT.

NO LTC IS REQUIRED - to possess a receiver or frame. Again, its not a firearm per MA law.

Put another way. Per MA law, a pack of cigarettes is more regulated than a stripped frame.

There is no reason ever to call a PD to confirm an LTC.

Huh??

No eFA10 should be completed when transferring a frame/receiver. It is not considered to be a firearm per the state of MA.

In fact, its impossible to do an eFA10 for a frame that doesn't involve lying on the form and therefore perjuring yourself. The form requires a barrel length. You can not complete the workflow without entering a barrel length. Entering a length so you can complete the form is a CRIMINAL ACT.

NO LTC IS REQUIRED - to possess a receiver or frame. Again, its not a firearm per MA law.

Put another way. Per MA law, a pack of cigarettes is more regulated than a stripped frame.

There is no reason ever to call a PD to confirm an LTC.

1. This thread is about registering an AR not a frame.

2. Yes, I agree that there is never a reason to call the PD to confirm an LTC.

However, not to long ago I made a rifle purchase out of state and the transferring FFL called my local PD to verify my LTC. I know that they did that. I heard them do it. My point was that FFLs can sometimes do strange stuff so it pays to follow the rules.

Bob

Well, the only real issue is that you are in Boston and Boston bans (since 1989) ALL ARs, AKs, etc. No grandfather clause.

Legally you can own it, but can't possess it in the City.

I teach all this stuff (including answers to all the above questions) in my Mass Gun Law Seminar.
Yes, there was a grandfather clause. The one-time opportunity to get papers for a Boston resident to gandfather their AWs has long passed. There is no grandfather clause based on simply owning an AR in the DPRM (which is no doubt what you meant).

There are situations under which you can possess it - transit through (in the Boston ordnance) and matches in Boston (yeah, they actually had some at BRGA where at least one person brought an EBR with a .22LR Colt convesion kit).

Last edited:
Are you sure you didn't buy an AR in .22 cal, really sure? If you register your .22 AR as a .22 Maura will be happy and never know that you, at a later time bought a .223 upper and put it on.

Put please make sure you follow all the laws in this great state of ours. We wouldn't want to break any laws, would we? That would be bad.

Are you sure you didn't buy an AR in .22 cal, really sure? If you register your .22 AR as a .22 Maura will be happy and never know that you, at a later time bought a .223 upper and put it on.

Put please make sure you follow all the laws in this great state of ours. We wouldn't want to break any laws, would we? That would be bad.

Whats a few thousandths anyway?;)

Bob

Please show me the law that states this is illegal. Tiny trangendered Hitlers decree is not law.

Yes, unless its a pre-ban lower. Then you can put whatever you want short of a select fire fire control group in/on it.
I was curious as to why some dealers in the state were selling post ban lowers and why others weren't. You could understand people being uneasy when everyone's not on the same page about it. I bought one over the weekend and the law was made more clear to me and I feel comfortable registering this lower as the 6.8 spc I wanna build as opposed to either having to make it a .22 or fixing the mag.

An interesting legal question (attorneys, please chime in)

Suppose someone builds an EBR and fails to register it. Assume further this is done in the days of MIRCS and can be proven.

Is the offense committed at the end of the original 7 day period, or is it an ongoing offense that is committed every day the person possesses the unregistered gun? The answer to this question has interesting statute of limitations implications.

An interesting legal question (attorneys, please chime in)

Suppose someone builds an EBR and fails to register it. Assume further this is done in the days of MIRCS and can be proven.

Is the offense committed at the end of the original 7 day period, or is it an ongoing offense that is committed every day the person possesses the unregistered gun? The answer to this question has interesting statute of limitations implications.
I'd also be interested in a 2A lawyer's thoughts on this. However, you and I know which way the PDs and ADA will argue this point. :mad:

Even if my LTC is from Arlington, MA?

I think technically you are breaking the MA Law... Unless you have been in Boston for less then 30 Days...

If you moved from Arlington to Boston you are by law suppose to inform them of the move and I believe once you move into the new Town/City you are bound by that Town/City's Laws...

From the MA Website: Massachusetts law requires that you report a change of address within 30 days of moving.

Here's the Link:

Moving Law

I think technically you are breaking the MA Law... Unless you have been in Boston for less then 30 Days...

If you moved from Arlington to Boston you are by law suppose to inform them of the move and I believe once you move into the new Town/City you are bound by that Town/City's Laws...

From the MA Website: Massachusetts law requires that you report a change of address within 30 days of moving.

Here's the Link:

Moving Law

Well I already informed everyone that I moved 7 months.

So hypothetically, there are several dealers in the state that sell lowers, document the sales, all the legal stuff right? Suppose you bought one of said lowers and decided to build a 6.8 SPC and register it, and just abide by the OG AWB (the evil scary features). Is Maura coming to get you if you register it? 100% asking for a friend, who has a boat, and can't operate it very well.....

Last edited:
So hypothetically, there are several dealers in the state that sell lowers, document the sales, all the legal stuff right? Suppose you bought one of said lowers and decided to build a 6.8 SPC and register it, and just abide by the OG AWB (the evil scary features). Is Maura coming to get you if you register it? 100% asking for a friend, who has a boat, and can't operate it very well.....
No

Ask yourself this . . .

How many news conferences have you seen with Healey announcing that she's arrested and is prosecuting some shmo for building an AR or 6.8 SPC?

There's your answer.

No? To which part?

I believe he meant "No" to your second question of "Is Maura coming to get you if you register it?" and Len-2A's opinion is pretty damn spot on to what I believe you're really asking.
No opinion on the dealer question.....
But Hell, I could be wrong. It's early.

Jay

One other thing. To be legally correct, that dealer should complete an ATF4473 and a NICS check. But no state paperwork. Because again, a frame or receiver is not a firearm per MGL.

One other thing to point out gentlemen. I sounded the alarm in 2016 but nobody listened. Back then we switched to an E-ONLY FA10. Prior to that you could use paper.

An eFA10 changes the process from GIVING NOTICE to one of ASKING PERMISSION. Its a huge distinction that was and still is lost on most people. All that the Gov of MA needs to do to shut down the lawful assembly of any firearms as well as the lawful transfer of firearms is to shut down the e-FA10 system. Or possibly set it up to disallow anything based on an AR style lower. It was a huge loss losing access to the paper forms.

Back
Top Bottom