• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Registering surplus/auction HMMWV?

They are providing the form now, but I assume it is still getting that big stamp "off road use only". I would have bought one already. My attorney said it was a liability nightmare should you register it and get in an accident. Even if someone hits you. A good attorney will say you circumvented the intent of the sale and were fully aware (bla bla bla) it was not safe for on road travel. He said it would be hard to fight. I called the RI DMV and they stated with the SF97 form they would register it no issue (I was on for an hour until I got a supervisor), but, I did not mention the stamp GovPlanet was going to put on it themselves.

Yes, I can register in RI as I have a building there. I have another truck for my staff I registered that way. The insurance co wants to know where it will be garaged primarily and that is supposed to be where you register it . One option is to get a sample copy of what they intend to provide, and go to the RI DMV to see if it is enough. The only issue I see is sometimes you don't want to call attention to these things. Meaning just show up and let it takes it course based upon what my contact stated I should be ok. Sometimes asking too many questions is a bad thing if they have not said no yet. It's a tough call given the money involved. I am going to get a copy of what they provide to review. I would love it if someone else has done this already.

You are over thinking this. Say that you are garaging it in RI and register / insure it in RI. Then you will have a title.

If you decide you are going to keep it in MA, you can use your RI title to register it in MA. End of problem.

Not to bring a thread back from the dead but I am wondering if you managed to purchase the HMMWV and managed to get it successfully titled in MA? I have been seriously thinking about doing this. There is a govplanet humvee auction coming up at the end of June and it's something that has been rolling around in the back of my head. Thanks in advance for any feedback you have!

Not to bring a thread back from the dead but I am wondering if you managed to purchase the HMMWV and managed to get it successfully titled in MA? I have been seriously thinking about doing this. There is a govplanet humvee auction coming up at the end of June and it's something that has been rolling around in the back of my head. Thanks in advance for any feedback you have!

As of May the Sf-97 said off road use only on almost all of them.

As of May the Sf-97 said off road use only on almost all of them.

Plan B solutions out in Utah will take a surplus Humvee and turn it into a 50 state road legal vehicle. I have also seen some popping up for sale in New England. I am guessing that the process involves a lot of paperwork and some vehicle mods that make it possible to get a road legal title. There isn't much physical difference between an H1 and a Humvee. I was curious if the original poster managed to take delivery of the truck and get put on the road in MA.

When I was spending a lot of time trying to do this, they ended up stating that they were not able/willing to supply the government issues title (SA-97) which I needed in order to get it registered in my area. I was actively bidding at the time and that turned me off, based upon my discussions with several DMV reps etc, they stated that if i had that I would be able to make it work ultimately. Shortly after I stopped looking, i was notified that they changed their policy and were now issuing the SA97. At that point, i had already made some other large purchases for some property in Maine i bought. I am thinking at looking again actually. Waiting for a unit closer to home to bid on.

There is a ton of info out there. Some states its fairly easy to register them in. I was hoping for Maine which I hear is a little more lax compared to MA. I while back i also spoke with a 3rd party titling company that said they can get it done and transfer to a local state etc. Only catch is you need to sign it over to them, and they register it and then sign it back over to you basically.

https://www.hummersurplusparts.com/hmmwv-street-legal-titling-status-state/

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/forumdisplay.php?29-HMMWV

Edit1, I saw one for sale at a car dealership in Swansea MA last week. It was low $20's.

Edit 2, I spoke with this guy in Maine that seems to be purchasing and titling them no problem for resale.

http://army4x4.com/hummers.shtml

Last edited:

If I had the room, I've always wanted an m35. Not as offroad capable but you can tow Jupiter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Humvee

When I was spending a lot of time trying to do this, they ended up stating that they were not able/willing to supply the government issues title (SA-97) which I needed in order to get it registered in my area. I was actively bidding at the time and that turned me off, based upon my discussions with several DMV reps etc, they stated that if i had that I would be able to make it work ultimately. Shortly after I stopped looking, i was notified that they changed their policy and were now issuing the SA97. At that point, i had already made some other large purchases for some property in Maine i bought. I am thinking at looking again actually. Waiting for a unit closer to home to bid on.

There is a ton of info out there. Some states its fairly easy to register them in. I was hoping for Maine which I hear is a little more lax compared to MA. I while back i also spoke with a 3rd party titling company that said they can get it done and transfer to a local state etc. Only catch is you need to sign it over to them, and they register it and then sign it back over to you basically.

https://www.hummersurplusparts.com/hmmwv-street-legal-titling-status-state/

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/forumdisplay.php?29-HMMWV

Edit1, I saw one for sale at a car dealership in Swansea MA last week. It was low $20's.

Edit 2, I spoke with this guy in Maine that seems to be purchasing and titling them no problem for resale.

http://army4x4.com/hummers.shtml

Have you you had any luck finding anymore information on this I currently own one but don't know the steps to take. Any information would be appreciated

I saw a military Humvee a few weeks ago on I95 with Mass plates on it, so I guess they're finally getting titles that make them street legal.

Just cuz it's got a plate don't make it legal. Plate coulda been pulled off of another vehicle.

Stupid? Yep.

Possible? Yep. ;)

It's got to be SUCH a quiet ride at 65. You'd go mid-tone deaf faster than an airline stew.

Funny coincidink on this thread.

Was driving to work this AM from teh Lake. 79 in either Berkley, Freetown or Taw'n (I forget which), some guy has a 1Gen AMG Humvee in his driveway. Still desert camo scheme. I thought, "Oh cool. Wow. You NEVER see those."

Seconds ago, some guy just drove one out of the garage on Durfee St in Fall River - completely redone. Black with whitewalls.

THEN I remembered this thread. LOL. They are out there. The one on 79 looked rough and just acquired.

There is one driving around Umass amherst this summer, shinny new plates on it. (and yes the umass cops would stop it in a heartbeat if they where bad plates. so they are being done somehow.

Update:

Colorado revoked the titles on over 800 formerly "street legal" military vehicles:

:mad:

Sonnenberg, one of many legislators who cosponsored the 2019 change, offered a work-around for military vehicle owners.

“Here's what I told everybody that had trouble with them,” said Sonnenberg. “What I told them was license them in another state and then they can't stop you from using them here.”

:mad:

Sonnenberg, one of many legislators who cosponsored the 2019 change, offered a work-around for military vehicle owners.

“Here's what I told everybody that had trouble with them,” said Sonnenberg. “What I told them was license them in another state and then they can't stop you from using them here.”

It's pretty funny that a legislator would say that, because states are pretty greedy and really despise residents cheating them out of "their" revenue sources, such as registrations, title fees, and other associated motor vehicle taxes.

Update:

Colorado revoked the titles on over 800 formerly "street legal" military vehicles:

It included Hummers that were originally titled as street legal, and had never been purchased by nor used by the military.

DMV.

It included Hummers that were originally titled as street legal, and had never been purchased by nor used by the military.

DMV.

The owners of the civilian H1's should be the most pissed off about this, because that version meets all the EPA/DOT requirements for the model year, which the Mil versions didn't.

Back
Top Bottom