• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Reloading .223

Let me guess, One Shot?

B

No, laziness on my part. I had about a thousand cases in a 5 gallon pail. I squirted 5 or 6 shots of Dillon lube on them and shook them around a bit. The ones on top were fine, but the ones on the bottom obviously didn't get enough lube. I felt them starting to stick about a dozen before that one but I literally had FIVE cases left so I figured I could just push through. (Clearly I was wrong.)

I've since changed my lubrication strategy a bit. [grin]

Last edited:
My mistake. I just went down and checked. I trim mine to 1.759, and I have a 1/2 bucket that are 1.754. Should I keep the shorter ones separated?

Just shoot them. 5 thousandths is not going to make a difference unless you're some sort of world-class bench rest shooter. (Even if you are it probably won't.)

Just shoot them. 5 thousandths is not going to make a difference unless you're some sort of world-class bench rest shooter. (Even if you are it probably won't.)

This.

The only time you have to trim is if they're too long.

I trim all of mine to the min the first time I process the batch of brass and I never have to worry about it again.

If you're not already sorting them by headstamp and number of times fired, it won't make a difference sorting by length.

Last edited:
It takes just as long to measure one as it does to just trim the damn thing. So, why not just trim as a normal part of processing rifle brass.
I run 100% of what I process through my Giraud trimmer. They all get trimmed to 1.750.

It takes just as long to measure one as it does to just trim the damn thing. So, why not just trim as a normal part of processing rifle brass.
I run 100% of what I process through my Giraud trimmer. They all get trimmed to 1.750.

That's true if the guy has a Giraud, but not so much if he's using a Lee Zip Trim.

Checking if they're too long is fast: Just lock the dial calipers at 1.760" and use them as a 'go' gage.

just a couple of cents worth

Culled from the decades of experience of the veterans at the club, and my own...

H322 for bolt guns
H335 for AR types

Bulk 50-55 grain SPs are fine for plinking and practice, but the velocities need to be kept down or they will start getting ripped apart on the ride downrange, especially in quick twist (1:9) barrels. (Key holes, big groups, etc.)

For reliable accuracy, bullet speeds need to be high in the high 2K, low 3K ranges, which require top quality HPBT bullets.

oh... and practice practice practice.

JR

Which brand of primers should be used for the .223 in AR? I usually prefer Federal or Winchester for reloading. But I've been told they are too soft for use in the AR. Slam Fires?

Which brand of primers should be used for the .223 in AR? I usually prefer Federal or Winchester for reloading. But I've been told they are too soft for use in the AR. Slam Fires?

Wolf SRM

I have been useing
CCI #41s I got a great price on them so I couldnt pass them up. They have worked 100% I have nothing to compare accuracy with though. (I can tell you my scores are better with my reloads)
I also use the Wolf primers I purchased them on sale. They are advertised as for reloading 5.56 I been useing them in my plinker rounds with 55gn blemished bullets and they work just fine.

Back
Top Bottom