Reloading 350 legend

M1911a1g17

NES Member
Hello all. I was wondering if anyone here has experience with reloading 350 legend. I reload for a few other calibers, me being 9mm. Are the projectiles the same? Also have some cfe blk and lil gun. I have seen recipes using those. My question is, is it similar to reloading 9mm or 38 in it’s a straight wall? Anything particularly difficult with it? And who makes the best dies for this? Thank you!!

It’s basically a 9mm super extra duper.
You need to lube the cases for sizing though.
The Lee dies I used seemed to work fine.

I used .357” cast bullets so I used a Lyman M-Die for expanding.

I never worked with light bullets. I was always 170-200 grain. I didn’t get too deep into it though.

I dunno. These are a lot different shape than a 9mm bullet. Diameter is the same but the profile is much different. Probably to allow feeding in a semi auto

I dunno. These are a lot different shape than a 9mm bullet. Diameter is the same but the profile is much different. Probably to allow feeding in a semi auto

This is true for the light weights. 9mm can have vastly different nose shapes in the same weight class but the lighter you go the less room there is for length variations.

I’ll have to dig up some pics. Some of the 38 moulds I use have a shorter fatter nose than what you would find on a 9mm and they fed/shot without issue.

My favorite 38/357 bullet shot fine.

I think something like a 115 might have feed issues though. 881EE5D2-C3C6-4870-AF35-C52BAA78D4BF.jpeg

There’s some talk about diameters in CastBoolits. I forgot all the details but I think it’s like 9mm. .355-.356 works depending on your barrel.

I don't load that caliber so I'm going by what was written when it first came out. I suppose you could try 9mm and 357 bullets and see what works best. Most rifle bullets are .358 and I don't know what that would do to pressure or if it would make the round too big to chamber.

Oh ok. That makes sense. Some may prefer slightly larger than others.
.002" over slugged bore size with lead, .001" over for a jacketed projectile has been the way to go. This is how I have always gone as it is pretty much written in stone. Too small and it won't seal in the bore. Too big and that probably introduces Mr. Darwin for a visit.

I am no expert so take it with a grain of salt.

2 years ago i tinkered with 350 legend, in a bear creek arsenal ar upper 16". I loaded some .357 125 gr rem sjhp - but for some reason i never completed my notes on how it shot. i believe i stopped loading with lighter than 158gr because the accuracy wasnt there, im sure in the future i will retest.
i had a note on some 146gr HP that didnt like feeding from magazine
I can be cheap sometimes and tried reloading 350 legend with 38/357 and 223 dies - dont, its a pain in the butt - get 350 legend dies, i use lee.
so heres the range notes from other loads -

starline brass, 26.0gr H110, fed 200 primers - all .357 bullets - shot 10 rounds of each load

158 gr seirra sP (8340) - 3" group @ 100yds
158 gr win JHP - 2" group @ 100yd
160 FMJ - 3" group @ 100 yd

i didnt have a chrono so i dont know about the actual velocity, but brass and primer inspection after shooting showed no ill signs of abuse

i will chrono loads next time. I bought an axis in 350 legends so i can load some heavy subsonic 250-280 gr cast stuff in the future.

Hello all. I was wondering if anyone here has experience with reloading 350 legend. I reload for a few other calibers, me being 9mm. Are the projectiles the same? Also have some cfe blk and lil gun. I have seen recipes using those. My question is, is it similar to reloading 9mm or 38 in it’s a straight wall? Anything particularly difficult with it? And who makes the best dies for this? Thank you!!
How did you make out using Lil Gun?

I don't shoot/reload .350 Legend, but I know just about every Walmart has ammo in stock. Aside from that, AR has had the .357" diameter 160gr Fusion bullets available from time to time; I use them in my .35 Rem reloads. These work just fine in the M336 and I don't have to resort to single shot or 1+1 feeding, as the COL is suitable for feeding from the tube (not so with other .357 pistol bullet profiles).
That said, I've also used .355" diameter bullets and they seem to stabilize just fine.

Attachments

• 160gFusion.jpg
    160gFusion.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 160grLegend.jpg
    160grLegend.jpg
    778.7 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Technically, .35 Remington bullets are .358" diameter, but the 160 Fusions work just fine. The standard offerings in .35 Remington aren't always easy to find, so I often use pistol bullets. These are legitimate loads, but short COLs may cause grief feeding in lever guns. In fact, Hornady 3rd Edition lists load data for the typical 158gr JHP pistol bullet.

Pictured is a .35 Rem with the Liberty Civil Defense (.355" dia.) 50gr CuHP. Too short to feed reliably, but they shoot okay

Attachments

• .35_Rem50gHP.jpg
    .35_Rem50gHP.jpg
    817.6 KB · Views: 2
  • .35_Rem. Domino.jpg
    .35_Rem. Domino.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom