reloading .357 max - substituting jacketed data with cast lead bullets

The Anchor

NES Member
finally found some relatively inexpensive cast 170 gr lead to feed the dan wesson. i found somePug nose 170 gr hi-tek coated bullets Missouri bullets and am planning on using 4227 behind it. Hodgdon doesn't provide data for this bullet, just a jacketed 170 gr. i loaded 4227 behind their jacketed bullet, up to 22gr ( above their max of 20gr) in a 10" barrel, and didn't come close to their speed ( still 175-200fps slower), and showed hardly any flattening of the primers. i shoot that load regularly and is not too hot.

now that i found these bullets, i am thinking of starting at 18gr ( recommended starting load for jacket 180gr), or should i start lower?

anyone have any experience with this? thanks

Last edited:
started with 18 gr, and then worked up to 20 gr, recoil is just a bit lighter then the jacketed rounds, no pressure signs on the brass. I spoke with another max reloader who worked up a similar load with lazor cast 170 gr bullets and found the sweet spot for his gun was between 19.5 and 20 gr of 4227.

Only questions, no answers!

With the same powder charge, how much faster was the coated lead round vs the same weight of JHP?

Did/can you recover any of the projos to see what the rifling looks like in the coating?

Sorry I poured through my folder of reloading data on the 357 Max, most from the first few years after introduction, but only had 180 gr jacketed data. However, I wanted to just say hi to another shooter of the 357 Max. I have the DW and a contender with three barrels (one each of 10" and 14" with iron sights for shooting metal piggies, and another 10" that is scoped for deer hunting when I was active in hand gunning for deer) Worked well on deer and was WAY more accurate than slug gun and ammo we had back in early 80s

Good luck with working up your load.

no data , haven't run them through the chrono yet. i also have plans to recover a bullet to see what it looks like, and will post an update when i do.

Last edited:
subscribed for updates.

i cast and now coat all of my bullets with hi-tek lube. i'm interested to see how it holds up in the 357 max

Back
Top Bottom