• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Reloading 5.7 x 28

NH Phantom

NES Member
Was thinking of getting a 57x28 pistol, but a buck a round? WOW. Anybody reloading this round? Pros? Cons?
I know there is a coating on the case so tumbling I guess is out of the question. What are your thoughts? Was also thinking of a can so anyone loading a sub?

I have acquired some brass, but don’t have a gun that shoots it… yet…

The lacquer is some proprietary BS that only FN has. I’ve read even if you scratch it, it should mostly feed fine in the 5-7, but the PS90 needs it.

I’d imagine you’d be okay tumbling with corn cob media for a couple hours. You could do a couple test batches to see how long it would last.

From what I understand, it can be a pain in the ass though since you have to be very careful to make sure your dies are clean so you don’t scratch the coating.

If I was going to go down the road of reloading 5.7, I’d probably intentionally scratch a couple to see what the limit is.

I looked into it a little more. Looks like Dillon doesn't make shell holders or other stuff for the round. I'm out of luck I guess.

I have a ton of the brass from range pickups. Always thought it would make a cool little project for a single shot rifle with some super heavy for caliber projectiles.

I have nothing worthwhile to add to this other than maybe checking out the CastBoolits forum. Those guys tinker with everything and probably have some good insight.

Ive thought about getting into 5.7 a few times then a quick slap in my face and the question "why ?" . Nothing other than bragging at the range i got a very expensive 2100 fps mega-high capacity potential armor piercing handgun that is a royal pia to handload ? Doesnt fill any need for me.
Why? because its fun. If i needed to have a practical reason for owning every gun or caliber id only have 2.

I have a ton of the brass from range pickups. Always thought it would make a cool little project for a single shot rifle with some super heavy for caliber projectiles.
I've got access to a nice lathe and mill, seems an appropriate caliber for a 1/3 scale Barrett M99 or maybe a "shell holder" design, like the Vulcan Old Glory had on display:
1660581595070.png

Having to lubricate every pistol round for resizing (since it's bottlenecked) sounds rather unpleasant.
I use lanolin and isopropyl
Toss a bunch of cases in a cardboard bowl, gives them a couple of squirts of lube, and shake well. Reuse the box for so the walls are coated which helps with an even coating

If they need.to be trimmed, forget about that - too small

I have been hesitant to get into 5.7 and the main reason is the reliance on factory ammo as I do not view this as a cartridge worth the trouble of reloading. Right off the bat there's an issue with the cases having some special laquer or coating on them that requires special cleaning, then FN uses some sort of adhesive on the bullet to hold it in place and those two things alone already turn me off. Add to them the cases themselves don't last, they're pretty much good for one reload and after that they're toast, if not downright unsafe to use again.

The powder charges need to be exact, which means you have to weigh every charge as no powder measure is going to throw an exact charge 100% of the time.

The bullets themselves would all have to be FMJ, which means added expense.

Even if you did go through all the trouble and had a process down and were all tooled up, at the end of the day what does the 5.7 give you something else doesn't and at an easier means to reload? While it's not available from anyone other than Rock Island, the .22 TCM offers several advantages over 5.7, the main one being higher velocity and can be made from cut down 5.56 or .223 cases, which are super easy to acquire for free at any range in the country. Sure, the .22 TCM pistols can't hold 30 rds like the 5.7 can, but I doubt anyone will ever need a 30 rd mag in a pistol for any serious defensive situation.

If the idea is reloading a low recoil, but zippy caliber, then .22 TCM and 7.62x25 are better choices. Even .30 Super might be a better option, I'm sure there are some pistols in .30 Super that will be able to run with a low power reload.

Decided not to reload as I cannot get a kit for my Dillon 650. I got some federal factory coming. Will have some for sale by the end of next week
if anyone is interested. $45 box. In NH

I'm sure I've posted this before, but here are my 5.7 reloads.... Suitable for live 22 LR tipped (inert tips pictured), wax/shot JSWC, 205gr lead core JSWC, etc.

View: https://i.imgur.com/UsIoO8Y.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0612.JPG
    IMG_0612.JPG
    415.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0673.JPG
    IMG_0673.JPG
    143.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 7.62x54R(1).jpg
    7.62x54R(1).jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 6
Last edited: