Reloading bench

Building a reloading bench. What recommended for top height? Also using the dillon strong mount.
Depends on you I would think. Id see where Id be comfortable at the bottom of the down stroke and work from there. I have to bend a bit and after a long session it messes with my back.

Building a reloading bench. What recommended for top height? Also using the dillon strong mount.
it is a tricky question.
here is my bench that is 34" from the floor. i like to sit on that stool while reloading, and as it can be seen - the press sits only on the steel plate that is on the bench surface.
steel plate on top and steel 90deg rail posts under the bench to make whole press setup unmovable.
if i would keep the whole rise of the strong mount - first of all the top of the brass loader gets way too high, and it would not be possible to sit by the press - it would be a stand only operation.

so you decide.

if bench itself would be lower - it would not be comfortable to work on any other projects.

5BE45FAE-F2F5-428B-8A4A-7EE90842BB72.jpeg

Last edited:
What cartridges are you loading? I built my bench for filling 550s. Then I added a strong mount on one of them.
Now I can’t really see light charges of powder in 38 special cases.
So maybe take that into consideration.

9mm, 380, 40, 45 300blk, 223 . I was thinking of setting up a mirror or camera to view charges if necessary. would you recommend that?
It can work if you have the room.
I believe @pastera had a camera that plugs into a mobile phone so you can see inside the case. Definitely fancy.

It can work if you have the room.
I believe @pastera had a camera that plugs into a mobile phone so you can see inside the case. Definitely fancy.
not sure how useful it would be... i have a magnetic powder sensor that is, somewhat .3-.4gr accurate in its buzz - but all my powder measures are now 0.2gr reliable, so, it pretty much eliminates the need for the sensor if i run a batch and do not weight each and every powder drop. and with the height of the press as is - i can bend a bit and see inside of the cartridge as well, to assess if drop amount was - visually - where it was supposed to be. one more reason against mounting press too high, in my opinion.
it also helps that i moved all powder measures to be at a next station from the stock position, to a 3rd station.

Use your kitchen counter as a reference, just lay your strong mount on top and then see how comfortable it is. If you're building a custom bench then might as well custom build it for your comfort level. I sit all day for work, so I like to stand when I reload, decide if you want to sit or stand.

You could also buy some hight adjustable legs. We converted a whole bunch of good solid work desks to adjustable sit stand desk, just buying the legs.

it is a tricky question.
here is my bench that is 34" from the floor. i like to sit on that stool while reloading, and as it can be seen - the press sits only on the steel plate that is on the bench surface.
steel plate on top and steel 90deg rail posts under the bench to make whole press setup unmovable.
if i would keep the whole rise of the strong mount - first of all the top of the brass loader gets way too high, and it would not be possible to sit by the press - it would be a stand only operation.

so you decide.

if bench itself would be lower - it would not be comfortable to work on any other projects.

View attachment 652425
Love it

The top of my bench is 38" above the floor and the strongmount adds 8". Total height of the 650's is 83" The height of the handle on the downstroke is very comfortable as I stand to do all my reloading and not having to bend over slightly saves my back. Even my sawhorses today are 38" - 40-" tall and sooooo much better on my back after working on short horses after 30 years in the field building and remodeling. I also try to have everything in arms reach as it makes loading so much more enjoyable

Attachments

• Reloading Room Pic.jpg
    Reloading Room Pic.jpg
    309.9 KB · Views: 54
not sure how useful it would be... i have a magnetic powder sensor that is, somewhat .3-.4gr accurate in its buzz - but all my powder measures are now 0.2gr reliable, so, it pretty much eliminates the need for the sensor if i run a batch and do not weight each and every powder drop. and with the height of the press as is - i can bend a bit and see inside of the cartridge as well, to assess if drop amount was - visually - where it was supposed to be. one more reason against mounting press too high, in my opinion.
it also helps that i moved all powder measures to be at a next station from the stock position, to a 3rd station.
+1. I've added the DAA powder check right after powder drop and have stopped looking for powder levels. One less item to visually check has also increased loading speed for me.

I would keep the bench at a standard bench height for supplies and other work. I use a high mount from inline fabrication and it’s perfect. If you have multiple presses like I do the one with the swappable base is incredible. I then built a rack to hold the loaders I’m not using.

I like all of my work surfaces 34-36” from the floor because they are always multi-use — even though some stay in one configuration for extended periods of time. Even with a dedicated reloading bench I wouldn’t want to paint myself into a corner so to speak by making it too high. You could change or add presses down the road and it’s a lot harder to modify a bench that’s too high.

Bench height is all dependent on you and your gear.
I can not sit and reload. I just find it awkward and uncomfortable no matter how I set my presses up.
I had to keep adding 2x6 chunks till I found the right height for my single stage.
My lee pro 1000s and MEC shotgun presses are more comfortable on the bench surface.

Got it framed in. Top will be 8’x3’ with a 2’ wide shelf under. Couple more braces where the press will mount. But I’ve got to wait and seeView attachment 660676
Love it. Do yourself a favor and make sure you screw that frame to the wall studs before you go any further. Super solid that way.

Back
Top Bottom