• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Reloading for 308 semi

@mac1911 alright will do. Thank you. I just have a ton of x51 brass and would like go load if. My rifle is chambered for 308 WIN.

@paul73 LR-308 platform rifle. 308 WIN chambered barrel. Rifle length gas tube with adjustable block. I thought I had put it in other posts in this thread. I had to work on it but got my rifle to cycle Winchester M80 ball fine. I have it broken it decently at this point. About ~300 rounds fired.

@mac1911 alright will do. Thank you. I just have a ton of x51 brass and would like go load if. My rifle is chambered for 308 WIN.

@paul73 LR-308 platform rifle. 308 WIN chambered barrel. Rifle length gas tube with adjustable block. I thought I had put it in other posts in this thread. I had to work on it but got my rifle to cycle Winchester M80 ball fine. I have it broken it decently at this point. About ~300 rounds fired.
Does the 762x51 have the NATO cross?
When in doubt you can check the case volume with H20 but honestly its not worth the effort IMHO
Theres plenty of 308 brass.

@mac1911 I will have to check later on that. I wanna say it was Egyptian surplus but I could be wrong. A buddy gave me basically a gallon size ziplock bag full of cases. Yea that is true. I have built up a small stash so far hahaha.

@mac1911 I will have to check later on that. I wanna say it was Egyptian surplus but I could be wrong. A buddy gave me basically a gallon size ziplock bag full of cases. Yea that is true. I have built up a small stash so far hahaha.
Me personally would not bother with any foreign NATO brass other than
USGI and German And Serbian/PPU
The rest? Maybe if was made in the past 5 years or so.
Theres plenty of good 308 brass out there.

Exactly my friend was loading hot loads on his AR10 I swear you could hear the lugs screaming as they where trying to force open!
He cracked a few lugs before I told him to use a different powder and charge weight.
His ar10 still shooting good after he replace the bolt head? Ar10 newbi here.
How many rounds can an ar10 shoot before i need to clean it ? (I heard carbon build up will stop the gun from shooting)I know my sks can run like 500 rounds and maybe more before i need to clean it.

How many rounds can an ar10 shoot before i need to clean it ? (I heard carbon build up will stop the gun from shooting)I know my sks can run like 500 rounds and maybe more before i need to clean it.
The AR10 is basically the same as the AR15, just bigger. I've gone 2000rds without cleaning my AR15.

The AR10 is basically the same as the AR15, just bigger. I've gone 2000rds without cleaning my AR15.
On mine it gets really difficult to pull the charging handle as bolt gets dirty, takes about 200 rounds.

Hose it down with whatever you have at hand. About the only thing that won't work is water.
i have somewhere a special polymer compound that was for the car wheels - you would wipe the rims with it to form a solid polymer layer to retract dirt.
did not try it yet, as cannot find where in the garage is it. may be it would help somewhat.
it is not a huge problem, just annoying. the bolt is a regular phosphate ran dry inside, so, go figure why it gets so much build-up.

it still ejects when the condition progresses, but it gets almost impossible to pull the handle even with both arms. may be i need to swap out the bolt.

My friend after reloading correctly has had zero issues.
As far as cleaning, Im pretty sure he just wipes the out side down and swabs the barrel with oil to prevent rust. Hes not a shoot it clean it type
If it cycles and he can hit the steel plates out to 300 hes happy

@mac1911 I just checked and it is all Malaysian X51 brass. No nato cross.
Just curious, the nato cross seems to be non existent on a lot of 762
I have some DAG brass with the cross.
Im not against 7.62 brass just alot of it is old as shit, shot from god knows what and I have had nothing but problems with it from “other” people.
Same with surplus 30-06 its even older. I will use surplus brass shot from my rifles but have had enough with the aggravation .

@mac1911 this stuff is dated 82. I agree though. Trying to weigh the options if it is worth it to load haha. I have head about that German DAG ammo. Supposed to be very nice

If the gun/barrel is marked .308 Win, you can use .308 win or 7.62x51 ammo and brass. If its a 7.62x51 marked gun/barrel, then you should NOT use .308 Win ammo/brass in it because the headspace is longer than .308 and the pressure in .308 is higher which could lead to a case head blowout.
I dont think its the pressure. 762 chambers are cut to a slightly longer head space to allow all the various countries NATO ammo to cycle and along with dirt grime -- in part why the NATO brass has a thicker web and case walls. So if a 308 case is on the thin side it can potentially stretch enough to have case head separation

@mac1911 yes it is seeming tougher and tougher to find. In X54R its gotten kinda pricey. Will do though. I am torn on what to do with it. I have a decent of 308 Win brass I have fired myself as well. Ah ok. That makes a lot of sense actually. Thank you for the info.

@jpm will do. They are all the same, so in theory check a handful and should be good?
I completely for got about berdan primed stuff.
m1911 - was this brass shot out of your friends rifle and what if so?
Run a piece through your sizer if it seems hard to resize you might end up needing a small base die to salvage it.
Have fun.

@mac1911 that makes sense. What is the purpose behind fluted chambers?

@jpm they all are. Haven’t had the time to check yet.

I made 20 rounds. Started at minimum and worked up to 43.7gr of imr 4064. I had very little variance in velocity. Around 10~ fps. Accuracy was ok. No crazy pressure signs. What is you guys preferred way to measure the lands in your barrel? Currently I have loading to listed c.o.a.l.

@mac1911 that makes sense. What is the purpose behind fluted chambers?

@jpm they all are. Haven’t had the time to check yet.

I made 20 rounds. Started at minimum and worked up to 43.7gr of imr 4064. I had very little variance in velocity. Around 10~ fps. Accuracy was ok. No crazy pressure signs. What is you guys preferred way to measure the lands in your barrel? Currently I have loading to listed c.o.a.l.
Your loading for AR 10 correct
Your limited to what fits in the mag.
Unless you want to single load your AR10.
As for measuring to lands.

View: https://youtu.be/fW6H9HJzsvQ

Fluted chambers? My guess is to lessen the chance of cartridges sticking in the chamber

Back
Top Bottom