• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Reloading for an 1895 Mauser

Guys,
I need some help here, I was going to start reloading for my old mauser but Hornaday book says not to use the specified loads for the older guns. Thoughts? Experiences? Advice?

7 x 57 sorry, should have posted that to start.
It shoots current production ammo just fine, Winchester and PPU so far, so I'm assuming it can handle the pressure. Just worried about the books warning to not use the current reloading data for an older gun.

looking here at 7x57 Mauser data there is no such warning...

7 x 57 sorry, should have posted that to start.
It shoots current production ammo just fine, Winchester and PPU so far, so I'm assuming it can handle the pressure. Just worried about the books warning to not use the current reloading data for an older gun.
If you’re shooting factory ammo in it then you should be fine with that reloading data. What was the date of manufacture for your rifle?
Personally I would look at some of these cast bullet loads and take it easy on the old rifle. I like unique but “The Load” is something to look up and would probably serve that old rifle well too.
E14CC600-AF91-4745-957C-433F0708E3F0.png 1A2CACF7-F8DD-4737-92E0-A471052A7B9D.png

Not familiar with Unique powder and I don't currently cast my own bullets, though I've been thinking about it, are there benefits to casting your own or is it just a pass time. Not trying to offend here just asking.

Not familiar with Unique powder and I don't currently cast my own bullets, though I've been thinking about it, are there benefits to casting your own or is it just a pass time. Not trying to offend here just asking.
Too late. I’m offended. 😁

You don’t need to cast, you can buy your own.
Or you can cast because it’s awesome. Also it saves you some serious money vs buying bullets. Just like reloading you will then promptly spend that saved money and more but you’ll be all the better for it and have a ton more ammo and fun.

That was my plan, minimum load medium weight bullets, 150-160gr, I love this gun shoots 1 MOA with no scope, I hit 300 and 400 yard targets pretty routinely. Hoping to improve that with accurate hand loads. Iron sights are a challenge but I refuse to drill and tap a 125 year old beauty!

Ok, If you shoot cast bullets don't you get more lead residue in the barrel?
Glad your only mildly offended!!!
No. I shot 75 cast bullets today. 535grains, no lead issues. You just have to size it properly and there are coatings you can use like Hi-Tek.

I also shoot cast bullets for all my handguns. No issues.

I won't get into details because I only cast for straight wall cartridges. But there are plenty of people here that will give you good advice.

Last edited:
lots of benefits
if your bore is worn you can size bullets to fit better , its considerably cheaper, easy on the rifle and your shoulder. You can make fun 50 yard gallery loads all the way to 600 yard target loads.
wide range of bullet sizes weights and styles.

you can also run reduced loads with jacketed ammo running H4895 per Hodgdons directions.

when reloading for old rifles and your not reaching out to long range or hunting theres really no need to run full power loads.
One of my favorite plinking loads is a 130 gn bullet for 30cal with trailboss. Great 50 yard soda can killer.

Ok, If you shoot cast bullets don't you get more lead residue in the barrel?
Glad your only mildly offended!!!
leading is a combination of wrong or lack of lube, wrong bullet size and sometimes alloy

wrong Lube and bullet size usually is the main culprit of leading. Some bores are really rough and pitted making it prone to leading

Powder manufacturers (load data) tend to be cautious and recommend non-maximum loads in older firearms. You should find plenty of decent loads by using starting to mid range loads in your 7mm. You can always pick up a newer 7mm Rem. Mag. if you have the urge for "more power, Scottie!"
As you progress with your reloading, you will doubtless find reduced loads with cast, preferably coated bullets, to be extremely enjoyable and economical to shoot.
I've got most every other Mauser, except the 7mm and 8mm, and they are a joy to shoot using cast, coated and frangibles, where applicable.
Enjoy!

Attachments

• .308Multi-Plink.jpg
    .308Multi-Plink.jpg
    372.9 KB · Views: 10
  • P1010001_zps1qctla19.jpg
    P1010001_zps1qctla19.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 10
Thanks for the info, I feel better about using minimum loads now and won't worry about ruining the gun.
You guys are great!
Grog

Go by the Hodgdon site I set you if you're nervous about the loads in the book. At the very least compare the load data from both to see if/how they differ for your powder and bullet.

Even though the link says you can go from max of 57 grains to a low of 32 grains, if you are loading that reduced load, check your rifle with a cleaning rod unless you are 100% sure the bullet exited the barrel.

Well, my gun did NOT explode!! Fired sweet, soft recoil compared to the factory loads I was used to, accuracy was not what I had hoped for but that will come with changes to the charge and or bullet weight. Accuracy had been 2 MOA at 200 yards which is awesome for an antique!!
Once again, I want to thank all you guys for the info, you've all been a big help! Thanks for the links too, they will help now and later as well.
Grog

Well, my gun did NOT explode!! Fired sweet, soft recoil compared to the factory loads I was used to, accuracy was not what I had hoped for but that will come with changes to the charge and or bullet weight. Accuracy had been 2 MOA at 200 yards which is awesome for an antique!!
Once again, I want to thank all you guys for the info, you've all been a big help! Thanks for the links too, they will help now and later as well.
Grog
2 moa , thats darn good for any rifle/ammo and notch and post sights.

Thanks Mac, 2 MOA at 200 yards was with factory ammo that I was used to shooting so I knew high to hold based on bullet rise etc. unfortunately it will take a while to get to that with my own loads. Can't wait to find the right combo though that gives me equal results!!
Grog

Thanks Mac, 2 MOA at 200 yards was with factory ammo that I was used to shooting so I knew high to hold based on bullet rise etc. unfortunately it will take a while to get to that with my own loads. Can't wait to find the right combo though that gives me equal results!!
Grog
I know many of my rifles and the ammo i load for them can shoot better than 2moa but holding moa with Iron sights is not easy , its easier with aperture style sights vs notches and V shaped rear sight and front post. Keep at it.

you can run a OCW test for your mauser and find a sweet spot in powder charges that gives you good accuracy and minimal point of impact shifts due to powder charge variations.
I have only tested my 6.5 mauser a little but I have found
Slower powders in the starting range of load data with heavy bullets works better than bullets on lighter side. Also depending on end use some bullets will do better than others. Inside 300 yards out of my worn old battle rifles a plain base or non boat tail bullet often groups better.
Another example is my 303 brit. Loves big heavy round nose bullets

Last edited:
I load 7mm for an old Remington rolling block. It shoots fine with factory loads but I load mild cast bullet loads for it. Apparently specs for the 7x57 cartridge were not standardized until after my and probably your rifle were made. I fire formed all by brass to that rifle and only size the neck enough to hold the bullet.

Grog
If that rifle can do 2MOA at 200 with shitty factory ammo, you should try reloading with plated bullets. You can definitely improve that to maybe 1.5MOA. I am sure you will also get there with cast.

That is amazing for an 1895 Mauser.

Broc, I don't cast my own, I may one day but not right now. I don't think I can improve on 2 MOA at 200 given that I've only got iron sights and I can't SEE any better than that!! Hahaha! Thanks though, I'm going to look into plated rounds and see what's what.
Grog

If you'd like to try cast bullets but don't cast, get some of Norm Purcella's coated gas checked 7mm bullets. It's what I use in the rolling block and they work well.

Back
Top Bottom