• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Reloading for an 1895 Mauser

Is Norm Purcella on this site or do I have to search the internet for him?
What are the benefits of cast vs. jacketed or plated?
Grog
Norm is a secret , you will be invited if you p!ay the game .......

That said
Its hard to really compare the three
for lower recoil, lower cost cast can really shine.
You can cast the size and style you want especially helpful with over sized or worn bores.
Plated , ? Never really used plated for rifle loads.
they are stuck somewhere in the middle of cast and jacketed. i dont really see any advantage with coated. Think you would be better off with coated cast vs plated.
FMJ bullets especially quality ones are great. Even with light loads. 110-130gn bullets out of the 03A3 or garand at lower velocities for 200 yard is fun , so are cast loads.

Last edited:
Broc, I don't cast my own, I may one day but not right now. I don't think I can improve on 2 MOA at 200 given that I've only got iron sights and I can't SEE any better than that!! Hahaha! Thanks though, I'm going to look into plated rounds and see what's what.
Grog
I bet you can improve, even with iron sights. Factory ammo is not great. If you can get 2MOA with factory ammo, you will get less than 2MOA reloading.

When you realize I am right, let me know and let me shoot that rifle. [smile]

Mac,
Not sure what "game" you are referring to but I might be "game" if I knew the rules before playing.

Broc,
I may be able to improve on 2 MOA at 200 yrds, and without going any further, I'm SURE you are right from the get go being that I just started to reload! All info and help is appreciated and added to my bank of info!

Shoot my rifle? We'll see about that....!

Mac,
Not sure what "game" you are referring to but I might be "game" if I knew the rules before playing.

Broc,
I may be able to improve on 2 MOA at 200 yrds, and without going any further, I'm SURE you are right from the get go being that I just started to reload! All info and help is appreciated and added to my bank of info!

Shoot my rifle? We'll see about that....!
just a little NES bull shitting, thats the game NES. The last of the fun forums,
2 moa is nice for notch and post sights , If anyone can shoot notch and post under 2moa consistently you have great eyes and steady hard hold , god bless!!!
With notch and post I can sneak under 2moa once in a while on good days from a rest or prone with sand bags.
Aperture style sights especially with front globe style sights I can get down into that 1-1.5 moa area sometimes. Its all me though the rifles and ammo scoped and a good rest could probably do 1 MOA
the fun in reloading is finding a load that just works.
I sold my 91/30 last week. It took a lot of testing to find a load that brought that rifle from minute of down range to sub 3 moa.
2 loads really worked well.
1.cast load 200 gn 314" dia bulet, wheel weight alloy water quenched . Loaded to 1800 fps
2. 180 gn flatbased jacketed soft point
.310"-312" dia 2300fps
Both with Hodgdon H4895 and RL15

the key to reloading is trying to be as consistent as possible.
Start with quality bullets.
No particular order on the less expensive side
Nosler , Hornady , Barnes
If I can get my Trex arms down to my wallet
Berger, Lapua and some of the more exepnsive match bullets.
98% of my shooting is 200 yards with old military rifles trying to plug a 3moa ten ring.
my rifles and ammo will do it , when I can.
Thats another fun part, getting those bullets where you want them on the target !

Last edited:
Ok, If you shoot cast bullets don't you get more lead residue in the barrel?
Glad your only mildly offended!!!
Leading can be a problem but often its easily sorted out. Getting the proper size is the first step but sometimes just going .001-.002" over nominal size for example my little SW 38 spl takes a .357 bullet. I have not bothered slugging the bore or lead and just run a 358" 158 gn semi wad cutter , tumbled lubed with Lee Alox loaded to about 800fps.
Heres the pistol after 100 rounds theres some streaking and other junk in the barrel along with a touch of copper fouling. I shot 25 rounds through this last weekend and did not bore swipe it yet. There is no real lead fouling and I expect to shoot at least 250 rounds or more before really needing to "clean" the bore deeply.
My Target 1911 I will go 500 rounds or so with out much leading and clean at the end of the year.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15eCEskpNgc

Mac,
Was that video made with a bore scope? I've heard a lot about them but never seen one in use.
Grog
yes , I have picked up a few $14 cheap ones off amazon over the years BUT

Amazon product ASIN B07TTQF24FView: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TTQF24F/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I recently picked up one of these for $40 , I believe this is their 1st gen model as it was about $100 a few years ago. Its their base model with 36" flexible memory probe. The cheap scopes got me buy for the price point but none of thew cheap scopes mirrors worked at all. this ones not bad and you can manual adjust the focus by threading the mirror on more or back it off.
There are better scopes but im not spending north of $100 for what I need it for.

WARNING: Never bore scope a rifle you like and is shooting well, what you see in that bore may hurt your eyes and ego.

Thanks for the link to the scope Mac.
The Warning is a nice touch!! Now I don't know if I should get a scope or not!! Hahahahha!
Grog
i have a remington 513t made in 1942 shoots really well posted many 100 yard 1" groups with it over the years and a few sub moa groups at 50 yRds.
prone with sling and bags for support, match sights.... i went to a local smith to see if he could drill and tap some fubar holes. While i was there he had is bore scope out ....the fancy one for like $1000. He just got the adapter to hook it to a monitor. I asked if he could take a look at mine while i was there.....all i can say is i thought that rifle was junk. It took me several range trips to get back to shooting good groups again. In my head i was just sad. ....
He showed me some brand new barrel s and i was shocked at how poorly they where finished.

I load for an 1895. 35.4 Varget 140gr Nosler BT. No noticeable case expansion or primer signs. I have some cases sized a little loose and they are still loose after firing.
Akma,
I'm using 36 gr. Accurate Arms behind a 154 gr Hornaday Inter SP. I see the same thing as you with very little case expansion.
How long have you been shooting that gun? I'm concerned about shooting the barrel out, might be foolish of me, I don't want it to lose it's accuracy. I can hit 4" clays at 200 yards with iron sights. The gun still has it and I don't want to lose it!! hahaha. I love the cartridge though, so easy shooting and still damn hard hitting. I'm actively looking for another rifle in the same chambering, not easy to find though.
Grog

Akma,
I'm using 36 gr. Accurate Arms behind a 154 gr Hornaday Inter SP. I see the same thing as you with very little case expansion.
How long have you been shooting that gun? I'm concerned about shooting the barrel out, might be foolish of me, I don't want it to lose it's accuracy. I can hit 4" clays at 200 yards with iron sights. The gun still has it and I don't want to lose it!! hahaha. I love the cartridge though, so easy shooting and still damn hard hitting. I'm actively looking for another rifle in the same chambering, not easy to find though.
Grog
Are you looking for a 1895 mauser or just something in 7mm mauser?

is your current 1895 mauser a milsurp or commercial model?

you cant be looking to hard if you cant find something in 7mm mauser.

to preserve barrel life maybe make the jump to cast or H4895 reduced loads?

Ok, many questions here.
I'm looking for anything in 7x57 mauser. Point me in the right direction and I'll go there.
I only assume that the gun is mil surp because of it's age but it could be commercial, I had never considered that point of difference.
I'll try some H4895 and I've got a line on some cast bullets but they are currently out of stock.
All good advice, thanks.
Point me in the directions of some good 7mm mauser alternatives please!! and thank you.
Grog

Ok, many questions here.
I'm looking for anything in 7x57 mauser. Point me in the right direction and I'll go there.
I only assume that the gun is mil surp because of it's age but it could be commercial, I had never considered that point of difference.
I'll try some H4895 and I've got a line on some cast bullets but they are currently out of stock.
All good advice, thanks.
Point me in the directions of some good 7mm mauser alternatives please!! and thank you.
Grog
check the "old hunting rifle rack" at local gun stores.

Akma,
Grog
I've been shooting it since '94ish. It's a sporterized version with a new barrel.

You pay $30 for 3 years and you can have 50 year old and older guns shipped right to your door, no dealer required. If you're interested in adding milsurps to your collection, its the way to go.
Theres also some discounts to be had from some vendors also . I save more than $30 a year

Wow! Thanks for all the info you guys. I fired some reloads today, I like the load I'm using even though it was the first one I tried, shooting 4" groups at 200 yards. I'll try modifying the charge but the gun seems to like the 154 gr bullet. I can't wait to try the 170 gr cast that I'm waiting on!!
You guys are a great help, much appreciated!
Grog

Wow! Thanks for all the info you guys. I fired some reloads today, I like the load I'm using even though it was the first one I tried, shooting 4" groups at 200 yards. I'll try modifying the charge but the gun seems to like the 154 gr bullet. I can't wait to try the 170 gr cast that I'm waiting on!!
You guys are a great help, much appreciated!
Grog
did you get a hold of Norm?
Just started loading for 6.5 mauser myself. The barrel twist on these old "smaller" cals is pretty fast so longer heavy bullets tend to fly better.

Last edited:
did you get a hold of Norm?
Just started loading for 6.5 mauser myself. The barrel twist on these old "smaller" cals is pretty fast so longer heavy bullets tend to fly better.
Good to know that fact! I've got a few hundred cast 7mm coming in a few weeks, they're round nose so nice long body. Can't wait to see how accurate they are.
Grog

Back
Top Bottom