Reloading for Milsurps, need advice on powder

I've been reloading for pistols for years. I've acquired some military surplus rifles and would like to begin reloading for them. The calibers are as follows:

8x57mm Mauser
7.5x55mm Swiss
7.62x54R

I believe I have all the components except for suitable powder(s). I'm not looking for tack driving accuracy at this point, nor am I looking for heavy loads; light plinking is all I'm interested in. The bullets I'll be using are all in the 150gr range. Ideally, I'd like to find one or two powders that would be suitable for all 4 calibers. After several days of checking reloading manuals, web sites, etc. I've come up with the following:

BL-C(2)
H335
H4895
Varget

I'm open to any feedback or recommendations on these (or any other) powders that might be suitable.

As I said, I'm new to reloading for rifles, so if my plan has any flaws I'm willing to learn. [grin] Thanks!

The reloading manual is your friend - stick to it as closely as possible. Different guns shoot better or worse depending on the type of powder. Experiment to see which one works best for your particular guns.

I can't comment on all the powders you mentioned, but the 4895 has been very versatile for me, and can be used in both bolt and semi-auto's with good results. A recent article in "Guns" magazine sang high praises for Varget in military rifle loads.

Good Luck!

The IMR stick powders are not recommended for the Dillon 550B. They suggest a ball powder
for all loading. When I was loading 30-06 on the Dillon using 3031 I hand metered out the
powder as I wasn't loading a lot of rounds (forty). If you aren't using a 550B then check
to see if the stick powder is compatible with your press.

Last edited:
If your .30-06 is an M1 Garand, make sure you follow the M1 rules, like no bullets over 168gr and stick to IMR4895 or H4895 or similar burn rates. I have an M1 but have not hand loaded yet for it. My buddy who is an M1 armorer made sure I knew about the differences in loading the M1. If you load heavy bullets or use too fast a burning powder, you can damage the oprod. There is load data out there specifically for the M1, so do not mix your M1 and bolt action loads. It is sort of like loading for the 45-70 if you have a trapdoor and a Marlin 1895G. Totally different pressure limits!

I use Hornady manual and IMR 4064 powder for 7.62x54R, 8MM Mauser and 7.5x55 Swiss. Be careful with OAL with Swiss as leade is very short. Only knock on powder is that it does meter well due to shape...Best

4895 and BLC were made for the Garand. 4064 also meets the pressure curve standard.
Also, you should use Mil spec primers. CCI makes them. The M1 firing pin has been known to stick and it can cause doubling when firing if the primers are to soft. [ Read, full auto!]
The BATFE frowns on that.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom