• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Reloading military brass

I have found some .223 brass and bullets and want to buy about 3000 of each.

The brass is described as follows.

.223 Processed Military Brass that has been reamed, cleaned, and full length sized with a small based die and trimmed. Primed with a #41 CCI MILITARY PRIMER Head Stamps Are mixed. (LC WCC FC)

1000 at $136.00

The bullets are described as.

223 55gr FMJ/BT cannelure per 1000
Price: $77.50

I've never reloaded 223 before so I have no idea if this is a good buy or not.

Can some one give me a little direction on this?

I'm not an expert at .223 reloading by any means, but I've been looking around to buy some large quantities of components, and from what I've seen those prices are pretty close to "standard." I know one supplier who is listing processed brass currently at $105/1K - that would be all of the things you listed except the priming. With the price of primers these days, $136/1K primed is very close to the same price.

I'm also looking at a supplier who sells bulk Remington 55 gr FMJBT for $148/2K, so that's also pretty close to the price you're looking at.

Maybe someone else has suppliers at better prices, but that's what I've been able to find so far. I know you're "one of us" so if you'd like the names of my suppliers please PM me.

ETA: In checking my brass source, I noticed that the brass they're selling isn't sized and trimmed. I prefer to do my own sizing, and I'm using an X-die so I'd need to trim them anyway, but if you don't want to be bothered with those two operations (at least for the first loading), then your source is a bit cheaper - depending on how much you value your time.

Last edited:
Yes it is.
FC .223 is generally considered bad for reloading due to softness. Most find that the primer pockets become way too loose after 1-2 firings.

LC (Lake City) and WCC (Western Cartridge Company - usually Winchester/Olin) headstapmed brass is just fine.

Steve

Yes it is.
FC .223 is generally considered bad for reloading due to softness. Most find that the primer pockets become way too loose after 1-2 firings.

LC (Lake City) and WCC (Western Cartridge Company - usually Winchester/Olin) headstapmed brass is just fine.

Steve

Some 5.56 I want to buy is Federal Lake City. Am I wasting my $ on a crapshoot as to whether or not it is mixed? Company says all Mil. spec manufactured in Lake City. Maybe I will buy a hundred to see if it real deal.

How many times could one expect to reload "good" brass?

Thanks, John

How many times could one expect to reload "good" brass?

It all depends on how hot your are reloading, what firearm you are shooting it in, how sloppy your chamber is, neck/full length resizing, how often you have to trim? The list goes on. I have some LC brass that I processed as once fired, and have 5-6 loads on it, and is still in great shape. I have some commercial brass that I have had to toss after 1-2, and some other that I have 5-6 on, and some pistol brass with over 10 reloads on it.

It all depends, and you should be doing a careful inspection on all cases, and simply tossing when they need to be tossed, not based on how many times you have reloaded the case.

Back
Top Bottom