Reloading press

If you catch me on any random day and ask about reloading, my response is “meh, it’s easier to just buy it.”

Then I read a thread like this and I’m all “ F*** yeah! Sounds great. Imma gonna!”

Then I come across a photo like this one and I realize I just DO NOT have the attention to detail nature reloading requires and I’m right back to meh.

Bummer.

R

If you catch me on any random day and ask about reloading, my response is “meh, it’s easier to just buy it.”

Then I read a thread like this and I’m all “ F*** yeah! Sounds great. Imma gonna!”

Then I come across a photo like this one and I realize I just DO NOT have the attention to detail nature reloading requires and I’m right back to meh.

Bummer.

R
That's my "sanctuary" lol

I actually enjoy it even on a single stage. Then I see how accurate my loads are compared to factory and I get even more into it.

My experience was the same as yours but since I decap before I tumble the loose, sloppy Lee has been made into a dedicated decapping station. Their dies are another story.... I am very pleased with the quality of ammo produced with Lee dies.

Very true. There is a lot of value in a spare press to do utility work on. I have contemplated picking up a cheep Lee just to do decapping on for some of my precision rifle before I wet tumble.

I have doubts that the press has much to do with creating accurate ammo. I think brass quality/dies/process consistency have a lot more to do with with quality ammo then one press or another.

I borrowed a dial indicator tool that can check runout on necks/bullets. I found my rcbs .223 sizing die was creating more runout on average then my Lee .223 die on my RCBS Summit press. Maybe my RCBS die was made on a Friday at 4pm. [thinking]

I've been watching this guy's vids this morning.
I'm saving shekels, when I get back to work I'd like to use my spare time to start reloading.

View: https://youtu.be/TqcYI0G2hqM

I gotta tell ya, after watching this I'm kinda liking that small Lyman with the short throw as a second press (which I really don't need) to handle random stuff (which I almost never do) not easily handled (there really isn't anything) by the Dillon 550.

Very true. There is a lot of value in a spare press to do utility work on. I have contemplated picking up a cheep Lee just to do decapping on for some of my precision rifle before I wet tumble.

I have doubts that the press has much to do with creating accurate ammo. I think brass quality/dies/process consistency have a lot more to do with with quality ammo then one press or another.

I borrowed a dial indicator tool that can check runout on necks/bullets. I found my rcbs .223 sizing die was creating more runout on average then my Lee .223 die on my RCBS Summit press. Maybe my RCBS die was made on a Friday at 4pm. [thinking]
Or made in China...

Bummer.

R

Loading straight wall pistol rounds is EASY.

And when you're in a situation like we are today - where ammo has flown off the shelves - it's really nice to walk into the garage and know that not only do I have thousands of rounds ready to go, I can load thousands more with the supplies I have on hand.

Sure for most common calibers i say but vs reload. When you get into older cartridges like 7,8, mauser, 7.7 jap, 30-30, 30-06, 303 brit, reloading becomes a must if you do not want to get ass reamed on cost of shooting that cartridge.

Sure for most common calibers i say but vs reload. When you get into older cartridges like 7,8, mauser, 7.7 jap, 30-30, 30-06, 303 brit, reloading becomes a must if you do not want to get ass reamed on cost of shooting that cartridge.
Even for "common calibers" I'm making more accurate than factory for half the cost.

Nothing wrong with being cheap BUT think of resale value for when its time to get rid of your equipment! I won't be a parrot and repeat the "get a rock chucker" as the 20 other people here have said. Even though they are not wrong when they say its just a more solid press. But I will say get a rock chucker because they hold their value. At the end of the day (or 30 years) you will be able to get a large portion of that original investment back with quality products suchs as RCBS/Dillon/Redding. Mostly, the only Lee products that hold value are the Lee Loader Sets (depending on the caliber/gauge).
the key is to sell your stuff off before your to old or sick to know better or care or it goes unused for so long it becomes a rusty hulk. I wish I had a digital camera 15 years ago when I was buying shotgun presses. Some of the wasted stuff from sitting in a box for 15 years..uggh.

Even for "common calibers" I'm making more accurate than factory for half the cost.
Also when you have a old war dog with a tired bore you can cast over sized bullets and get back some of that accuracy that was lost.

the key is to sell your stuff off before your to old or sick to know better or care or it goes unused for so long it becomes a rusty hulk. I wish I had a digital camera 15 years ago when I was buying shotgun presses. Some of the wasted stuff from sitting in a box for 15 years..uggh.
Or as the quote goes "dont let my wife sell these once I'm gone for what I told her I paid for them".

Lee Classic. Takes 1min to turn it into a si gle stage and 1min to turn it into a progressive when you develop a load. Best of both worlds for around $100-$150.

006-90304_10.jpg

Nothing wrong with being cheap BUT think of resale value for when its time to get rid of your equipment! I won't be a parrot and repeat the "get a rock chucker" as the 20 other people here have said. Even though they are not wrong when they say its just a more solid press. But I will say get a rock chucker because they hold their value. At the end of the day (or 30 years) you will be able to get a large portion of that original investment back with quality products suchs as RCBS/Dillon/Redding. Mostly, the only Lee products that hold value are the Lee Loader Sets (depending on the caliber/gauge).
You cant always be thinking of the resale value. I'm 34, I just bought a Dillon 750, their shinny new Press. I have no idea what they will have in 30-40 years and what my 750 will be worth.

Certain things you should just buy them to enjoy what you are doing today and worry about getting rid of them later.

Plus I can lower the load a bit so I can enjoy shooting more and not feel like I just went ten rounds with Tyoson...
you can have a lot of fun with different loads. Theres some other accuracy nodes to be found also. Toss in casting bullets you can load some "gallery" loads that even a 8 year old would not notice the recoil.

You can spend thousands to save hundreds on ammo or you can spend hundreds and save thousands on ammo. If you're shooting for a pay day go crazy and invest in the best. If your shooting for fun, spend your money on better components and a spotting scope...the Lee press will work just fine. How many rounds do you plan to run down the barrel every year? 100? 300? 1000?

Back
Top Bottom