Reloading Questions/Discussions

mac1911

NES Member
Heres a few that I feel are not always easy to wrap your head around or under stand in easy terms.

we will keep it simple and keep it to bolt action rifle loads

1. powder burn rate Fast or Slow
I was told by a few old timers
A: Use the slowest powder that ignites consistently and completes its combustion in the barrel length you have
B: use a powder that will give the bullet a solid shove all the way out the muzzle
This was explained to me that the powder gas is still expanding as the bullet leaves the muzzle?

2. Barrel Twist
A: use the slowest twist that will stabilize the projectile and not cause excessive RPM
This makes sense to me and it will show its face in cast bullets.
I can run my cast bullets to about 140,000 rpm before accuracy just drops or I get a little poof of a cloud at 20 yards.

Do you have a sweet spot where your guns just shoot their best?
For me I seem to get the best accuracy out to 300 yards- i dont get to test beyond that. Only time is NRA service rifle at 200/300/600 that I just load 24gn of varget and a 77 grain bullet and let thrm fly

My best accuracy seems to come between 2450-2600 fps out of 1/10 twist barrels with 130-168 gn bullets? Seems pretty soldid across my bolt guns.
I know for energy retention, fighting the wind , less time in flight higher velocities helps but its not always my most accurate/consistent load

Heres a few that I feel are not always easy to wrap your head around or under stand in easy terms.

we will keep it simple and keep it to bolt action rifle loads

1. powder burn rate Fast or Slow
I was told by a few old timers
A: Use the slowest powder that ignites consistently and completes its combustion in the barrel length you have
B: use a powder that will give the bullet a solid shove all the way out the muzzle
This was explained to me that the powder gas is still expanding as the bullet leaves the muzzle?

Do you have a sweet spot where your guns just shoot their best?
For me I seem to get the best accuracy out to 300 yards- i dont get to test beyond that. Only time is NRA service rifle at 200/300/600 that I just load 24gn of varget and a 77 grain bullet and let thrm fly

My best accuracy seems to come between 2450-2600 fps out of 1/10 twist barrels with 130-168 gn bullets? Seems pretty soldid across my bolt guns.
I know for energy retention, fighting the wind , less time in flight higher velocities helps but its not always my most accurate/consistent load

Maybe the powder that gives-
The most consistent f.p.s. at the muzzle, and has the smallest s.d./ e.s.
The slower stuff still burns (as I understand it) long after the bullet leaves, which is what lends to consistent chrono readings and managable pressures and not like a 80 f.p.s. spread across 3 shots. Assuming jacketed and not cast.

Sweet spot can probably be set at 100 yds (assuming projectile can go to 6/7/800 or more)
If said load can pull 1/4" or less @100 (small s.d./ e.s and whatever o.a.l. is (jam -.020 then +.002 increments till that node rears up)) then it should give comparable results beyond 100 yds. Or at least I'm guessing that.
1/4 @100 should be...............beep bop boop clickety clack................ 1"@400? Theoretically.

the easiest way around this situation is to buy some up to date RELOADING MANUALS. This will save you a lot of time. The data is tried and true. Take your time, go slow, it can be intimidating......

the easiest way around this situation is to buy some up to date RELOADING MANUALS. This will save you a lot of time. The data is tried and true. Take your time, go slow, it can be intimidating......
I know load data is key but when tou get that list of 10-12 powders for one cal/bullet weight it can be tough.

for me so far most of my better loads are in that middle burn rate area favoring the slower side.

Back
Top Bottom