• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Reloading - Where to Start (Guides/Manuals)

Looking at getting my first revolver - a .44 Magnum - and intend to get into reloading at the same time. Don't plan on reloading rifle rounds anytime in the foreseeable future (5.56 isn't nearly expensive enough for reloading to be worth it) but I may do some 9mm if it makes sense (can't seem to save more than $0.03/round off the cheapest factory ammo).

Anyway the .44Mag reloading will be intended for getting quite-warm loads with some specific bullets. I'm aware that can be a recipe for disaster so I want to start with some kind of in depth guide that doesn't focus all its text on reloading for rifles (I keep finding way too much on reloading for rifles and just don't care). If someone could point me to a detailed guide online that would be great. I want to read up before I start investing in equipment and trying it out.

I'd also be interested in a book if it's specifically to the point for learning to reload and not focused on rifle cartridges.

Thanks for the reply. I would but... [apologies for sounding like an ass] I wouldn't go to MA for a free class. Show me a good one in NH and I'm all over it.

I think you'll survive one trip to mass just fine without being armed to the teeth. Take the class

Although there's tons of Crap you tube does have a good amount of info. Search for your specific cal.
A good place to start for 44 mag is with Elmer Kieth.... Lyman reloading manual has some decent pistol info.

If you don't want to come and take Jim's class maybe contact him see if he can recommend someone or maybe he's doing a class up there in the future.

I'm not sure what your saving threshold is to decide to reload but my current 223 match load for my AR cost me 26 cents each 31 cents if I use Sierra bullets...
You can also go to reloading section. http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/forums/22-Reloading

[video]https://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=irC3NuIKDm4[/video]

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. I would but... [apologies for sounding like an ass] I wouldn't go to MA for a free class. Show me a good one in NH and I'm all over it.

You're cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Hate MA all you want, but this is a silly, silly reason to not take Jim's class. Start a go-fund-me, and I'll even kick in $20. That's how good that class was.

I'm not sure what your saving threshold is to decide to reload but my current 223 match load for my AR cost me 26 cents each 31 cents if I use Sierra bullets...

To me reloading doesn't save enough to be worth it for the savings. It would be worth it for the ability to have custom loads but only for certain calibers. I can get XM193 for 34 cents a round. 8 cents savings per round isn't nothing, but not worth the hassle. It would be worth it if I shot more match loads, but I almost never shoot my defense ammo (which uses Sierra bullets).

Same goes for 9mm. I can reload for around 15 cents a piece (assuming brass from the range) or buy factory ammo for 20 cents a piece. Again not enough savings for the time and I don't care about the load.

.44 Magnum would be worth it for custom loadings.

To me reloading doesn't save enough to be worth it for the savings. It would be worth it for the ability to have custom loads but only for certain calibers. I can get XM193 for 34 cents a round. 8 cents savings per round isn't nothing, but not worth the hassle. It would be worth it if I shot more match loads, but I almost never shoot my defense ammo (which uses Sierra bullets).

Same goes for 9mm. I can reload for around 15 cents a piece (assuming brass from the range) or buy factory ammo for 20 cents a piece. Again not enough savings for the time and I don't care about the load.

.44 Magnum would be worth it for custom loadings.

This much is true.....you don't really save money anyway you just shoot better ammo more often.
I can't even bring myself to shoot m193 factory ammo any more. My 55 gn plinking ammo runs me
.07 for bullet .07 powder and .03 primers on current market prices.
Although I'm still working through my stock from years ago, run me 12 cents each.

If you you have free time to reload it does pay off. If you can work extra hours or can afford to buy factory ammo to fill your shooting needs then that works also.

You can also cast your own bullets for your 44mag. [video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GdqQ7062KA0[/video]

Looking at getting my first revolver - a .44 Magnum - and intend to get into reloading at the same time. Don't plan on reloading rifle rounds anytime in the foreseeable future (5.56 isn't nearly expensive enough for reloading to be worth it) but I may do some 9mm if it makes sense (can't seem to save more than $0.03/round off the cheapest factory ammo).

I'm reloading 9mm right now for $135/k. That's not stuff I bought years ago. I literally just bought 2k worth of stuff this week. So where exactly are you saying I can buy 9mm for $165 per case???

As for 5.56 I'm reloading M193 for $200/k. Again if you buy stuff right now. That's a pretty big savings.

As for where to start, take EC's class. What you buy for a press will depend highly on the volume you plan on shooting. Personally for 9mm pistol ammo I love my Dillon Square Deal. I shoot about 200-300rds a week and I can bang that out in about an hour.

gun selection makes a big difference in .44 reloading,, if you want to make factory like loads then any gun will be fine. if you want to push the extremes of the .44 only the strongest revolvers should be used, such as rugers, dan wesson, rugers,taurus trackers and rugers lol. i fire loads from my ruger srh that are within the ballistic range of a 454 casull, at 43,000 cup pressure that would explode a smith and wesson, if you'd like to reload .44 for a carbine keep the twist rate in mind, some like the marlin have too slow a twist to stabilize 300+ grain bullets. the .44 is a complex round to reload compared to most and not well suited to amateurs.

also,, wouldnt hurt to take one of the formentioned classes, really.

Last edited:
However you get started, you'll find reloading .44 Magnum (and .44 Specials, don't forget) is a definite plus. If you even find .44 fodder in the store, it likely will be 240 grain jacketed soft point. This isn't bad, but there are simply too many bullet types and weights in .44 to settle for just this one recipe.
Yes, everybody wants to be Harry Callahan, but for everyday range use, you might find moderate cast or coated bullet loads to be the ticket for pleasant and cost-effective trigger time. It's great to have a revolver that can handle whacker 310 grain loads, but it's also a hoot to shoot .44 Specials all day long without getting carpal tunnel or going broke. Remember, a 240 grain bullet going at 900 fps is not much lamer than a typical .45 ACP load (for those that think .44 Specials are too anemic).

Kittery Trading Post used to have basic reloading classes.
Check the local gun clubs perhaps you can find one in your area that has reloading courses.

I have known many in the roll-your-own crowd for a long time and some had been doing it for 50 years.
Having been on the board since 2008, I can say that Jim is one of the best at what he does. For seven years I have been loading different calibers and when an issue comes up, looking in the reloading forum brings me the answer. The post is almost always EC with the logical answer.
Don't want to come to mass? Your loss.
Hope you can count to 10 with only your hands after each session.

Don't want to come to mass? Your loss.
Hope you can count to 10 with only your hands after each session.

I'm sure that class is great, but your making it sound like "if" he doesn't take the class, he bound to be loosing a finger or two.
Reloading isn't complicated. Get a couple good manuals and read them. Take your time, and whatever you do, don't get distracted while loading. Pay attention 100% of the time, and you'll be fine.

I'm sure that class is great, but your making it sound like "if" he doesn't take the class, he bound to be loosing a finger or two.
Reloading isn't complicated. Get a couple good manuals and read them. Take your time, and whatever you do, don't get distracted while loading. Pay attention 100% of the time, and you'll be fine.

Appreciate it. My hope was to get recommendations on what manuals I might look at (as opposed to everyone telling me the sky will fall if I don't take the one specific class in the police state). Thanks for the practical answer. I've been watching videos and I get all the steps and the basics. I just want to make sure I get up to speed on the possible pitfalls before I run into them.

Appreciate it. My hope was to get recommendations on what manuals I might look at (as opposed to everyone telling me the sky will fall if I don't take the one specific class in the police state). Thanks for the practical answer. I've been watching videos and I get all the steps and the basics. I just want to make sure I get up to speed on the possible pitfalls before I run into them.

Go to Hodgdon.com and look at the data there. Alliant and Accurate also have data on line.

Both the Hornady and Lyman books are pretty decent general purpose manuals. The 'best' data is always going to be from the manufacturer of your bullets, so if you pick a bullet, and the mfg has a manual, you should get it.

Not really sure where your getting your numbers, but i reload 9mm at no more than $130 per 1k and about 2 hours time.

There are plenty of places that so clinics, and thousands of youtube videos. I was in exactly your shoes bot that long ago, nervous of the mystery that seemed to surround reloading.... The "reloading" section of NES got me through most of it

Back
Top Bottom