Rem 700 barrell

I bought a rem 700 223 from a member here quite a while ago. Cannot shoot groups better that 15" or so at 100 yds. I noticed on the bipod the stock would contact the barrell . I clearanced the stock a little with no affect. So next up was to switch scopes. No affect. Choate tactical stock. Guess what?? No affect. Ive inspected the crown and bore as well as I could and saw no obvious defects.
My next course is to send it off. if the problem is in the crown I would have the barrell shortened. Otherwise rebarrel it. I might also have the actioned trued whiile Im there.
Ive already exceded the value of the gun in time and money at this point but I cant sell it . I either have a cool paperweight or keep spending.
So to make a longg story even longer. Does anyone have any suggestions, or coul you reccomend a Gunsmith?
TIA Tom

Please don't take this the wrong way, but has anybody else shot it? Good handloads? Factory commercial, or factory surplus? Sometimes rifles just won't shoot well, but 15 MOA sounds a little excessive.

I can't imagine a bad crown causing it to shoot 15 inch groups. You could cut a barrel off with a hack saw and it should shoot better than that. If it's not you, then there is something major league loose. Do you know the optic you have on it is any good? Sometimes they go bad. Does it shoot well on another gun?

B

Really sounds like something is loose. 15MOA is way way out there for groups, bad crown or not.

I have had others shoot it with the same results. Shooting the same reloads from my ar I was able to shoot 1/2 moa at 200yds.( not typical, trust me) Tried a different scope and it now sits in a diffferent stock. All of theses changes and the rifle still shoots the same as the day I got it.

Have you tried a serious cleaning with a heavy duty copper solvent such as Shooter's Choice or JB bore paste? Is this a bull barrel or standard weight? I had a 700 with a bull barrel that shot small groups if I did my part. I have a rebarreled Ruger M 77 MKIi that will shoot 1" groups but it is a "thin" barrel. Kind of stuck here for an answer but if all else fails send it back toRemington and have them take a look.

Back
Top Bottom