Remington 1100 not cycling

mcshooter

NES Life Member
NES Member
Hello,

i have an 1100 that shoots fine, and i like it - the thing is - the bolt doesnt cycle after each shot (as a semi autos should) you have to hand cycle it.

Thoughts on what the cause could be.

i took it apart and it looks like there are no issues with the mechanics.

any experts on this particular firearm on this site?

If it's not the O-ring, is it by any chance an old 1100 Mag ? 1100 Mags don't cycle light loads they're made for heavy 2 3/4" and 3"
If it's a standard 1100 it should cycle everything from AA and Dove & Quail through SuperX/Express and similar.
I'd look at the O-ring, gas ports and wipe down the mag tube to make sure it's clean

If it's not the O-ring, is it by any chance an old 1100 Mag ? 1100 Mags don't cycle light loads they're made for heavy 2 3/4" and 3"
If it's a standard 1100 it should cycle everything from AA and Dove & Quail through SuperX/Express and similar.
I'd look at the O-ring, gas ports and wipe down the mag tube to make sure it's clean
She's clean. I'll research the serial number as well. I got it used so it could be that

I don't know if this is true for all production years, but I think at least the later models will say "Magnum" on the receiver above the trigger guard between the two pins that hold the trigger group in the receiver like this one (got it off google, not sure what production year this is)
The Mags I've seen up close have been labeled the same way.
1666565184125.png

Make sure the o ring is correctly seated in the groove hat is meant to receive it. Buy a couple new o rings and don’t roll them on, give them a light oil and work them slowly into place.

I tried 7 shot birdshot.

I'll grab some buckshot on the way to the range this week to give her a whirl
Thats not really what he meant by "try a gameload". Birdshot comes in many different "payloads".....was that size 7 you tried a 1 ounce, 1 1/8 ounce, 1 1/4 ounce or 1 1/2 ounce load. Not all birdshot loads are even remotely the same.....the shot size may be the same......but the payload and velocity varies greatly.

Last edited:
Thats not really what he meant by "try a gameload". Birdshot comes in my different "payloads".....was that size 7 you tried a 1 ounce, 1 1/8 ounce, 1 1/4 ounce or 1 1/2 ounce load. Not all birdshot loads are even remotely the same.....the shot size may be the same......but the payload and velocity varies greatly.
I obviously have a lot to learn, wacko

I obviously have a lot to learn, wacko
Look at the difference in the descriptions on these boxes.....both made by remington.....both are #6 birdhsot loads.....and there is a HUGE difference in what these 2 different loads will accomplish.

I also have #6 shot loads on my shelf that are 1 1/2 ounce payload at 1440 fps.

3655c4cd2569f9d3e4326726ac0e7983.jpgRM_20149_12GA_EXPRESS_XLR_LL.jpg

@mcshooter

Here is part 1 of a 4 part series from Brownells on how to disassemble, clean and put back together an 1100. Order up a bunch of O rings, they always go bad at the wrong time. As a previous post stated, but tape over the thread on the tube when putting the O ring in as not to nick it and keep that damn tube DRY, you can put lube on the O ring but lubing the tube will cause crap to collect. Oh an buy an extractor or two as well and watch the video on replacing that. Those are the only two things I've ever run into with an 1100. Both parts are cheap and available from Brownells.

I've been on a quest to find a left handed 1100 in case someone has one for sale.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBOreNAvSwE

So, after getting the o rings, and finally having a moment to look at it, the entire gas system is missing. How do I age this gun so I get the right one?
The number for Remington is OOS.

So, after getting the o rings, and finally having a moment to look at it, the entire gas system is missing. How do I age this gun so I get the right one?
The number for Remington is OOS.

Since Remington was broken up and sold off, support for the old models got more difficult.

The first way to find out age and/or parts compatibility is just what you did - ask. There's almost certainly someone here or on Shotgunworld.com that knows. I don't know - so let me introduce option #2.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-manufacturer/remington/shotguns-rem/1100/parts-list-rem1100

Gunpartscorp.com (Numrich) has parts schematics that are useful even if they don't stock the part you want. If you look through various parts on the 1100 schematic, you'll see that they are broken out to 12/16/20 gauge parts, and 28ga/.410 parts. No mention of production dates, and as gunpartscorp's business is parts for everything, they very rarely screw that up. Once you know it's only necessary to have the shotgun's gauge to order parts, you can then move on to ebay or gunbroker to find them with more confidence you're ordering the right thing.

Or post on shotgunworld - they'll know who has a large stash of Remington parts.

Good luck - always good to see guns come back from the dead!

Hello,

i have an 1100 that shoots fine, and i like it - the thing is - the bolt doesnt cycle after each shot (as a semi autos should) you have to hand cycle it.

Thoughts on what the cause could be.

i took it apart and it looks like there are no issues with the mechanics.

any experts on this particular firearm on this site?
What else is missing

View: https://youtu.be/Xlld6j2QnJE

Since Remington was broken up and sold off, support for the old models got more difficult.

The first way to find out age and/or parts compatibility is just what you did - ask. There's almost certainly someone here or on Shotgunworld.com that knows. I don't know - so let me introduce option #2.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-manufacturer/remington/shotguns-rem/1100/parts-list-rem1100

Gunpartscorp.com (Numrich) has parts schematics that are useful even if they don't stock the part you want. If you look through various parts on the 1100 schematic, you'll see that they are broken out to 12/16/20 gauge parts, and 28ga/.410 parts. No mention of production dates, and as gunpartscorp's business is parts for everything, they very rarely screw that up. Once you know it's only necessary to have the shotgun's gauge to order parts, you can then move on to ebay or gunbroker to find them with more confidence you're ordering the right thing.

Or post on shotgunworld - they'll know who has a large stash of Remington parts.

I already looked at this.

12, 73, 74.

73 and 74 have an old and a newer style. Does that matter?

73 and 74 can run upwards of 100 bucks. I'm not too scared to spend that, cause I got it for a deal (probably cause the owner before me knew it had issues), along with 2 barrels one with ghost ring fiber optic sights.

It's a sportsman auto 12.

I kind of think it's the older one

Thank you for your help. I think I was fixated on the old vs new style and didn't realize it was interchangeable, till I reread your post and watched the video

This video says what I was looking for.

Thanks!
It says old vs new atyke is interchangeable
The old rings could break , im sure the new ones could also.
If you picked this up with a few barrels and the cost was worth the barrels you are ahead.
Get a good parts diagram and give it a go over

The old rings could break , im sure the new ones could also.
If you picked this up with a few barrels and the cost was worth the barrels you are ahead.
Get a good parts diagram and give it a go over

I've had it a few years and didn't realize till I shot it that it had issues, put it aside for a little.

I recently wanted to get into 3 gun, and this was a better option than a pump gun.

Photos below.

Attachments

• 20230224_082600.jpg
    20230224_082600.jpg
    873.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 20230224_082546.jpg
    20230224_082546.jpg
    1,009.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 20230224_082516.jpg
    20230224_082516.jpg
    663.8 KB · Views: 11
  • 20230224_082519.jpg
    20230224_082519.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 11
  • 20230224_082523.jpg
    20230224_082523.jpg
    814.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 20230224_082512.jpg
    20230224_082512.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 10
  • 20230224_082657.jpg
    20230224_082657.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 10
  • 20230224_082620.jpg
    20230224_082620.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 10
Well, there's your problem right there! No gas rings or barrel seal. (O-ring) The 1100/1187 makes a wonderful platform for a 3-gun 12 ga. I picked one up at Marlborough back in the day for just that reason. The wood stock was beat to hell but I didn't care knowing I only needed the barreled action. It is a fixed improved cylinder choke gun. I put on plastic furniture, a side-saddle, and extended mag-tube on it. It is so much fun taking down steel targets with it.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom