• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Remington .17 HMR Recall

I'm not surprised about this at all. The 597 has had so many problems in 22lr that it was only a matter of time before the .17 issues started popping up.

Thankfully I use CCI and Federal.

If you have a semi-automatic firearm chambered for 17 HMR ammunition, immediately discontinue use of Remington 17 HMR ammunition. If you have any Remington 17 HMR ammunition that you wish to return to Remington contact the Remington Consumer Service number below. Do not return the ammunition to the dealer. Remington will provide you with a $10.00 coupon for each complete box of 50 rounds of Remington branded 17 HMR ammunition you return to Remington. This coupon will be good for the purchase of any Remington ammunition at your local dealer.

$10.00 per complete box ???
I don't know how much .17 HMR is going for elsewhere but its dang near 15 - 16 bucks at Wal-Mart !

I just wrote to Remington Sunday about this gun. I bought it in 2005. It was a nice shooter. I bought a bunch of extra mags and took it out Saturday with a new shooter to the range. We had nothing but trouble. Lots of failures to feed. At one point, three shots fired but on the fourth, the magazine blew out the bottom. Fortunately there was no serious injury except to the psyche. I put the 597 away pronto. I had enough other toys with me to still convert a new shooter.

I recevied an email back today about the recall. Remington is offering $250 credit (for a laminate model) towards another Remington. My problem is that I paid $325 for it and I am not sure I want another Remington.

I am not sure which brand caused the blow out. I had Remington, Hornady, CCI and Federal ammo. (whatever I can find out there.) With all the problems feeding, and also just filling them, the rounds got mixed up. Still shaking my head.[shocked]

.17 HMR Ammunition ***WARNING*** from Remington

My latest issue of Guns & Ammo (December 2009 pp. 42) had a Safety Warning/Recall concerning .17 HMR and the semi-auto rifles that shoot it too!!!

I did a quick search in the forum for mentions of issues, and I did find "exploding ammo" comments (Wal-Mart Mega Ammo Thread), and an issue with HM2 brass splitting in another thread, but no specific mention of this:

from the advertisement:

PRODUCT SAFETY WARNING
AND RECALL NOTICE

17 HMR AMMUNITION AND MODEL 597® 17 HMR SEMI-AUTOMATIC

DO NOT USE REMINGTON 17 HMR AMMUNITION IN SEMI-AUTOMATIC FIREARMS.

DO NOT USE THE REMINGTON MODEL 597 17 HMR SEMI-AUTOMATIC RIFLE.

Remington has been notified by its supplier of 17 HMR ammunition that 17 HMR ammunition is not suitable for use in semi-automatic firearms. The use of this ammunition in a semi-automatic firearm could result in property damage or serious personal injury.

If you have a semi-automatic firearm chambered for 17 HMR ammunition, immediately discontinue use of Remington 17 HMR ammunition. If you have any Remington 17 HMR ammunition that you wish to return to Remington contact the Remington Consumer Service number below. Do not return the ammunition to the dealer. Remington will provide you with a $10.00 coupon for each complete box of 50 rounds of Remington branded 17 HMR ammunition you return to Remington. This coupon is for end users only and will be good for the purchase of any Remington ammunition at your local dealer.

In light of the ammunition manufacturer’s notice, it is very important that you immediately stop using your Remington Model 597 17 HMR semi-automatic rifle. If you own a Remington Model 597 17 HMR semi-automatic rifle and wish to return it to Remington please contact the below Remington Consumer Service Number. In return for your Remington Model 597 17 HMR synthetic stock semi-automatic rifle, Remington will provide you a coupon valued at $200.00 good for the purchase of a replacement Remington firearm. If you have a laminate stock Remington Model 597 17 HMR semi-automatic rifle, Remington will provide you a coupon valued at $250.00 good for the purchase of a replacement Remington firearm. This Coupon is for end users only and will be good for the purchase of a Remington firearm at your local dealer. Contact Remington to recieve your free shipping label to return your Model 597 17HMR semi-automatic rifle to Remington..

Please allow up to 6 weeks after Remington receives your Model 597 17 HMR semi-automatic rifle or your Remington branded 17 HMR ammunition for the appropriate coupons to arrive. Instructions for redemption of the coupons will be contained on the coupon.

For any consumer questions or instructions on how to return of your Model 597 17 HMR semi-automatic rifle or your Remington branded 17 HMR ammunition, please contact the Remington Consumer Service Department at 1-800-243-9700, Prompt #3.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Safety First
Always observe the ten commandments of safe gun handling and wear approved eye and ear protection anytime you are shooting.

Recall Notice Link

I'd best refine my search technique ...obviously Bfatz posted the warning back in August. Though, I guess that the full-blown recall was not yet in effect.

Last edited:
Exactly what I was going to say cricco. So if you buy defective ammo from Remmington they will refund part of what it costs? How generous. I have some Remmington .17 hmr and if it damages my rifle they will be buying the ammo and rifle for full replacement value.

I'm losing faith in anything Remington. I stopped buying their .22 ammo some time ago after getting several duds per box of 50.

Same for the rifle. It cost more to purchase originally than the refund (I supplied a copy of the receipt.). And it is not a refund--just a credit towards another Remington. It took almost 4 months to get a non-transferable mail-in coupon (two months to get the shipping return label and another two months for the coupon). It will probably take another two months to get a check back. The magazine in the 597 I had blew out the bottom. After all of this, I really don't want another Remington. It is now my opinion that Remington focuses too much on marketing and not enough on customer service or quality.

I looked for a way to email them and found nothing. I'm shooting mine out of a savage bolt action and have had no problems so I'll shoot mine up.

The way I see it is they made a defective product and will not replace it. I see a class action suit in their future. Of course you will only get partial payment then too.

Looks like .22 Hornet or .17 Fireball is a better way to go. Not only are they proven, but they are reloadable. Probably cheaper in the long run.

Back
Top Bottom