Remington 22LR 'Golden Bullet'

KMM696

NES Member
Remington Golden Bullet.....I've never met 22LR that was so dimensionally random that it would occasionally get hung up in a factory 10/22 magazine, and needed help to get into the chamber of a 10/22 and a Mosquito. Oh, and sometimes needs a second primer strike to go off.

And sometimes....

RemGoldenCrop.jpg

...just won't go off at all.

Hey, Remington, I'm pretty sure the point is to have at least some priming compound in there! I looked hard, but I couldn't find it.

Glad I got this crap as a Christmas present, and didn't actually buy any. As a bonus, not particularly accurate in anything we were shooting. [frown] If this is Remmy's good rimfire ammo, I'm quite hesitant to ever try their Thunderbolt.

IMO Thunderbolt is about the only Remington ammo worth buying (only if price is really right).
The green box standard velocity stuff can be used for drills as I get failure to fire in one of every 5-10 rounds.

I don't think Remington will ever get another dime out of me for ammo unless I absolutely have no choice.

For now Federal gets all my 22LR bulk business, CCI for ammo finicky sticks and RWS and Wolf for high end target ammo.

Thunderbolt is 10000 times worse than golden bullet is. If you have a gun with sharp rifling in it, that crap will gum up the barrel so fast its not even funny.

Nobody believes me, but I think there is a big difference in the QC on gun shop golden bullet vs the stuff you find at walmart. Gun Shop golden bullet tends to have way less duds, at least in the lots that I've used. The latter isn't too much of an issue now as I haven't seen a box of GB at Walmart in the better part of a year now. Hell, it's even hard to find golden bullet at most gun shops now, too. (And when I do find it, it's usually overpriced. )

-Mike

Odd. I have nothing but good experience with golden bullet.

I buy it whenever I can get my hands on it.... I think it's one of the better bulk ammo types out there.... I mean, all bulk 22s are going to have duds once in awhile. The only 22 ammo I've had that never failed to go off is the CCI stuff that comes in the 100 round tins.

-Mike

Remington Thunderbolt is an excellent choice for NRA Basic Pistol classes... every shooter gets at least 1 failure-to-fire experience... If you're (un)lucky, they get the same experience with both the revolver and with the semi-automatic in order to see the difference in recovery from an FTF!

--- sarcasm hat off... we won't be buying any more of that junk for our classes... Federal bulk works very well.!

I find it hard to believe they sort the crappy ammo for walmart vs gun shop. Golden has always been crappy. Along with the brass jacketed remington stuff.
The federal bulf pack seems like the only decent <20.00 a brick stuff out there. I purchased the Centurion ammo from CMP and have been pleased with it. Even feeds my ruger MKIII

I just purchased a number of the bulk Federal Champion (blue bulk 525 round) boxes at Cabela's. With the $30 off of $150 purchase I paid $16.80/box.
I usually purchased the bulk packs at Walmart - hopefully these will function as well or better.....

Unfortunately I bought a bunch of boxes of Golden Bullets when that was all I could find a while back. I've never had so many jams in my 10/22 mags with anything else, or so many fail to fire. I just use them mostly in the bolt action now where they at least don't get stuck in the 7 rd. mag, although I still get the FTF just as often. CCI minimags or standard velocity seem to work best in my .22's.

Thunderbolt is 10000 times worse than golden bullet is. If you have a gun with sharp rifling in it, that crap will gum up the barrel so fast its not even funny.

Nobody believes me,........................

-Mike

I believe you. I bought a 500 round box about 10 years ago and I still have some left. I shoot thousands of rounds a year of various stuff and I still don't take a box of that with me just to use it up.

Man, I need to wash my hands...[grin]

Remington Golden Bullets and their Thunderbolt offerings are certainly a great value - especially if running crappy ammo through your firearms is a good thing. Great for failure drills and for those who like to while the hours away cleaning sludge. The whole losing 4" at 100-yards over CCI is an added bonus - helps keep you practiced at adjusting elevation or inventing the: "Golden Bullet Carryover" Apparently, Remington has taken steps to produce this ammunition to appease the audiophile in all of us - we can now dance to the beat of the Golden Bullet: Bang, bang, bang, crack, crack, pop, pop, pfft, bang, bang, crack, click, eject, bang, pop, pop...Get's me tapping my toes...Thanks Remington! [cheers]

I think it was this that got them dirty - same color as the stuff I cleaned out of the FN49.

View attachment 8266

That pup was schweet - albeit a tad filthy...Nothing like a 60-year old rifle that drives tacks...[cheers]

I relegate my Rem 22 ammo for revolver use only, much easier to double tap etc

i had some Golden Bullets spinning around in Kevins S&W like a roulette wheel, (click,click,click)...[smile]

i had some Golden Bullets spinning around in Kevins S&W like a roulette wheel, (click,click,click)...[smile][/QUOTE]

Yeah I give them a couple twirls then put them in the dud can.....

I just can't figure out how Remington can produce such unreliable ammo. I sure hope they don't ruin the Eley ammo

Back
Top Bottom