Remington 572 Fieldmaster or other brand pump .22/.22 Mag

Was looking at the Remington 572 Fieldmaster. Looks pretty cool, and similar to the 870 shotgun in operation.

1. I'm wondering where they can be purchased in Central MA area.
2. I'm wondering what other pump .22LR rifles are out there, and where they can be purchased in Central MA area.
3. I'm wondering if Remington makes a pump .22 Magnum rifle, and if so, where it can be purchased in Central MA area.
4. I'm wondering if there are any other pump .22 Magnum rifles are out there, and where they can be purchased in Central MA area.

Would prefer actually holding one in hands and cycling it before purchasing.

A. Anybody have any experience with pump rimfire rifles?
B. What's more fun, lever or pump?
C. What's more accurate?
D. More reliable?

Do you have one, @fencer ? If so, how do you like it?
How are those octagon barrels? Don't want a heavy gun, it's only .22.
If I got one, I'd like to put some fiber sights and maybe a rear peep sight on it. A red dot would also work, but kind of ruin the charm of the pump, maybe, unless it was small enough. That, or a small scope for tired old eyes.

My dad's had a Rossi pump 22lr for a long time, and it's been a good rifle. His has very strong preferences about which ammo it will cycle reliably, but if you stick with brands it likes, it's fine. He hasn't scoped it, but reasonably accurate. One of their current models has fiber optic sights, but I don't believe they offer a peep from the factory - haven't looked at their current catalog. You aren't going to like their current trigger guard.

On the used side, Winchester has made a lot of pump 22lr over the years. My only personal experience with them is my 62A, which is excellent. Sometimes you can find them priced to shoot instead of as collectibles, and the parts supply is pretty good. Savage has also sold pumps in the past, the 1903 being the one I've shot the most. Not as refined as the 62A, but reliable and accurate.

I know Winchester has made 22mag pumps, and I believe Henry did, or maybe still does.

Finding one of the used ones locally is going to be luck of the draw. If I was looking for another, it'd be on Gunbroker. Not a central MA guy, can't help you there.

More fun? Personal preference, I think both lever and pump are fun. Do you like cowboy movies or cop movies better?

I've got a Model 12C that you can shoot in North Stonington, CT. It's not for sale, although there is a Model 12A at M&B Sports (near Foxwoods) for $425.
Similar to...

Attachments

• Rem. 12C.jpg
    Rem. 12C.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 4
Was looking at the Remington 572 Fieldmaster. Looks pretty cool, and similar to the 870 shotgun in operation.

1. I'm wondering where they can be purchased in Central MA area.
2. I'm wondering what other pump .22LR rifles are out there, and where they can be purchased in Central MA area.
3. I'm wondering if Remington makes a pump .22 Magnum rifle, and if so, where it can be purchased in Central MA area.
4. I'm wondering if there are any other pump .22 Magnum rifles are out there, and where they can be purchased in Central MA area.

Would prefer actually holding one in hands and cycling it before purchasing.

A. Anybody have any experience with pump rimfire rifles?
B. What's more fun, lever or pump?
C. What's more accurate?
D. More reliable?
The 5 serries remingtons go back a good while , I have the semi auto version looks like 1100 a bit.

Do you have one, @fencer ? If so, how do you like it?
How are those octagon barrels? Don't want a heavy gun, it's only .22.
If I got one, I'd like to put some fiber sights and maybe a rear peep sight on it. A red dot would also work, but kind of ruin the charm of the pump, maybe, unless it was small enough. That, or a small scope for tired old eyes.
I do not. I do have a Golden Boy with the octagon barrel and love it. But after reading @Wickedcoolname s post in the "Customer Service" thread, I would not hesitate to buy another Henry.

Post #58. You may want to reach out to him.

pump 22lr ... it's been a good rifle ... has very strong preferences about which ammo it will cycle reliably, but if you stick with brands it likes, it's fine.
I find that odd for a pump rifle or lever or bolt, for that matter. Usually, that sort of thing only affects the auto loaders.

You aren't going to like their current trigger guard
Who, Rossi? Henry? Remington? What's wrong with it? Plastic?

Rossi - they've made it glove friendly, apparently.

rossi-gallery-22lr-pump-action-rifle-1.jpg

The real choices for new is either Rossie or Henry. The used market has many more options so there's that.

I've been eyeballing .22 pumps for a while and I bought a Henry pump .22 this afternoon. It's sitting in my gun vice at the moment but I haven't had the chance yet to clean it never mind being able to give any feed back on its operation or accuracy. It's the 22LR, L and short version but they do make a .22 mag version. There is another local shop with the Rossie pump so I did have the chance to finger bang them as a comparison. The Henry is almost double in cost as the Rossie, I got mine for $595.00 which includes the tax. The Rossie (wood version) was price tagged at $359.00 and the plastic stock version (with fiber optics) slightly less. As from what I have read, both have decent accuracy for buckhorn sighted rifles, are pumps with wooden stocks and tube feed uses .22LR, have the same type slide release but for me that's where the similarities end. The Henry is a better quality rifle but the price reflects that. The Henry also uses a 1/4 cock and the Rossie has a cross bolt safety. The Rossie can only use .22LR, it chokes otherwise but the Henry can use all three including the shorter quietes and shot shells. The wood on the Henry is American walnut and shows it's grain (more-so then the image on Henries site) and the Rossies is a plain Beach wood type. The Rossie is much lighter but the Henry seems a more stable platform and has an octagon barrel. As for the Triggers, the Rossie has about a 6-7 lb pull, the Henry rolls in at about 3. Both actions are a bit stiff but will (supposedly, just from my readings) loosen up with use. There is also Henries warranty.

I'm not knocking the Rossie and for a plinker it's fine, I'm just giving my own reasons as to why I went Henry and was willing to spend a bit more.

Back
Top Bottom