• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Remington 7.62x39 ammo

Want to check to see if anyone has had a problem with Rem 7.62x39 ammo. Went to the range yesterday to try out my CZ527 in 7.62x39 neat little carbine BTW. Had a mix of Russian steel case,handloads and 1 box of Rem factory. Short story half of the Remington ammo took 2 hits for it to fire one round wouldn't fire after 4 hits. Everything else went bang on the first trigger pull. Kicker is I bought the stuff at least a year ago and it was $24 + tax. Anyone run into the same problem?

Not to be dense here but what does bullet diameter have to do with the cartridge firing when the primer is hit by the firing pin?

It has everything to do with remington not knowing, or adhering to, the 7.62x39 cartridge specification.

Think about it: if the bullet diameter is too small, do you think that this cartridge would nest correctly in a properly spec'd chamber with correct geometry that accepts a .311" dia bullet?

The answer is: NO. So if your cartridge is nesting "too far" into your chamber, do you think that the correctly sized firing pin on your rifle has a good chance to hit the primer on your cartridge?

The answer is: No.

Remington's 7.62x39 spec dictates the wrong bullet diameter. This has been exasperated by US machine shops manufacturing crap AKM barrels when using their design specification. It also has been made evident by their ammunition geometry.

Measure the bullet. Let the world know what you find in this thread.

If they can't get these simple things correct, why would you think that they can get anything else right on the manufacture of that cartridge?

There have also been many reports of loose necks on Remington 7.62x39 ammunition.... stemming from the incorrectly spec'd bullet diameter.

That shit is only good for the brass. If the diameter is incorrect, you bought crap ammunition. And this is HARDLY surprising. This is why you buy russian ammunition. US manufacturers somehow **** this up because they get confused with NATO 7.62x51 geometry. It's totally ****ing retarded.

I hope this makes sense. I'm not trying to bash on your ammo choice. I'm just merely trying to share the knowledge I've picked up from reading too much "AK shit" on other enthusiast forums.

I just find it strange that steel cased and my handloads fired and Factory ammo failed to fire 50% of the time.
I've had Federal, Winchester PMC ammo and never had a problem with them. I do have one round that didn't fire that I took apart and reassembled I pull that one and reload it with a cast bullet.

I just find it strange that steel cased and my handloads fired and Factory ammo failed to fire 50% of the time.

I am having a really hard time deciphering this sentence. Did you just say:

Steel cased and my hand loads fires 100% of the time.

or

Steel cased and my hand loads fires 50% of the time.

Another question for clarification: are you referring to the Remington ammo as "factory ammo?"

If you said that your steel cased/handloads fire 100% of the time, and this "so called" Remington "factory" ammo fires 50% of the time, then my advice holds true: remington sucks at everything 7.62x39.

Just because it says "remington" on the side of the box does not automatically make it correct.

I've had Federal, Winchester PMC ammo and never had a problem with them. I do have one round that didn't fire that I took apart and reassembled I pull that one and reload it with a cast bullet.

read my previous posts. Measure the remington bullet diameter. If you can't do this, and you reload ammunition, than you are doing something terribly wrong. Pull out your calipers. Pull out one of the remington cartridges. And measure the bullet on one.

You will find that my advice is correct. Just go do it and report back.

And then throw that ****ing shit in the trash (or in your case, pull the bullets and hand load your own out of that brass...)

Last edited:
Sorry for the confusion and I'll try to clarify things here. I have 2 rifles in 7.62x39 The CZ which is brand new and a Ruger M77 MKII. The steel case ammo is inconsistent in the Ruger and some cases take a second hit of the firing pin to get it to fire, my handloads 100%. The CZ both the steel cased and handloads 100% ignition. I do know that the steel cased ammo is designed for military style semi autos that have stronger/heavier springs to ensure 100% ignition of any all types of 7.62xx39 ammo be it Berdan primed or boxer. I haven't pulled the Remington round apart yet I have to locate my set of micrometers to measure bullet diameter. I'll get back to you on that a little later.

well **** me. Guess I was wrong- that's close to the 7.92mm (.311") spec that it should be at. Looks like they've gotten their shit together on their ammunition.

I have no idea what could be wrong with the Ruger M77- I am totally unfamiliar with those rifles.

I do know, though, that the CZ527 has issues with light primer strikes. Some people modify the springs in them (or spring load by adding spacers) to get them to hit primers harder. Not sure if it's a good idea or not- I'd have to know the spring material composition and the dimensions of the spring (coil count and diameter), and measure how much it compresses in the locked firing pin to see if it'll yield any when compressed.

Here's a "home solution" for that sort of stuff.... The Home Machinist! ? View topic - Light firing pin strike - CZ527

Giving google a search reveals that CZ527's tend to have light primer strikes with certain brands of 7.62x39. Give it a good cleaning and lube and see if it helps before doing anything drastic. Have you taken the bolt apart and cleaned the firing pin, extractor, and associated springs? That'd be a good start.

I'll be damned about that remington ammo. I guess I can stop crowing about how they don't know how to cast their 7.62x39 bullets, anymore.

I'll keep looking for solutions on gun forums in the mean time. Let me know if you have any luck with a good cleaning.

The M77 MK II rifles do have problems with the firing pin spring. I'll replace it at a later date with one that's a couple of pounds heavier from Wolff. I think the factory spring is 24# and I'll replace it with a 26#. CZ web site says the 527 is designed around surplus steel cased ammo so I see no reason to worry about light strikes as I'll be shooting handloads with either jacketed or cast bullets anyway. One thing I did do was buy a Wilson case gauge so I don't set the shoulder back to far in my handloads.

Last edited:
The M77 MK II rifles do have problems with the firing pin spring. I'll replace it at a later date with one that's a couple of pounds heavier from Wolff. I think the factory spring is 24# and I'll replace it with a 26#. CZ web site says the 527 is designed around surplus steel cased ammo so I see no reason to worry about light strikes as I'll be shooting handloads with either jacketed or cast bullets anyway. One thing I did do was buy a Wilson case gauge so I don't set the shoulder back to far in my handloads.

shoulder geometry is important for proper primer strikes. And that was one of the issues with Remington ammunition, as well (if I recall correctly).

Hopefully you get everything sorted out. Good luck, dude.

Back
Top Bottom