• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Remington Golden Bullet 22LR Value Pack

That Guy

Banned
Did a search and couldn't find a thread about this ammo, but I'm having a difficult time believing there isn't already a thread covering it - if there is, please let me know and close this thread.

I bought one of those 550 GB value packs the other day and I can't believe how crappy the ammo is. First of all, the bullet actually spins around in the casing, is crooked sometimes, etc. They will not feed into my High Standard pistol at all - the slide won't close all the way to get it into the chamber without me pushing it in. They don't feed up smoothly in the magazine (probably because the bullet is loose and crooked in the casing). About one out of every ten wouldn't fire on the first pin strike. I thought at first I just needed to clean the pistol (it was dirty the first time out) but even after it was cleaned thoroughly, I experienced the same issues.

They did work in my crappy old Italian import SA revolver which has an extremely hard hammer strike.

The High Standard pistol is, I grant you, somewhat finicky because of it's age and round count. I usually get at least one or two failures to fire out of a 100 round set and they fire with a second pin strike, but this Remington ammo was ridiculous. I guess I'll save it and use it exclusively for the revolver (which I shoot about once a year for about 50 rounds, so this should be a lifetime supply).

Anyone else have similar experience with the ammo?

As the owner of some vintage HS target pistols I can tell you that Std Vel ammo works best in them. They were not really designed for High Vel ammo (Rem Golden Bullet). Back in the day that I did target shooting with my HSs I used Remington (green box) Std Vel ammo and it ran damn close to 100% (actually don't recall any failures).

Rem Golden Bullets run just fine in our Ruger 10/22s and are the recommended ammo by Advantage Arms for their conversion kits. Works great in my AA G17/22 conversion kit and in my Ciener 1911 conversion kit!

It certainly isn't designed as target ammo, just good for plinking.

YMMV

Haha it's funny this comes up every now and then- my 77/22 runs them fine and actually I have been getting similar groups with the golden bullets as compared to the CCI mini-mags. Granted I don't know how much of that is shooter error, but it's certainly telling.

There are threads where this is discussed, but it is usually inside a 10/22 thread. It is the worst, dirtiest bulk pack ammo out there. HOWEVER, I was broke not to long ago and it was all I had stacked up in my ammo cabinet from when I first started shooting .22, so I took it to the range with my 10/22 to shoot some beer cans, and shot the entire box with 3 fail to fires and 5 rounds that go hung up on the magazine. It was dirty, but maybe it got better with age. YMMV

Last edited:
I dont mind golden bullet, but I use it mostly in revolvers and bolt guns. My 10/22 and MkII seem to love the "thunderbolt" ammo. I cant remember the brand, but theres one bulk pack .22 with unplated hollow points that I wont ever use. I couldnt even feed them in a bolt gun, they would jam on the feed ramp. [frown]

ETA: I think its xpert .22 hollow point.

I have been using remington "golden bullet" .22 through my henry lever gun and they feed fine and my 11 year old can put a fist sized group at 50 yards with the standard open sites (no scope). No complaints from me with that ammo.

It won't feed in a Beretta U22 NEOS, has issues in a Ruger SR22... fed and fired fine through our old 22 bolt actions though. Think it has something to do with the bullets geometry on a semi-auto feed ramp; damn things just don't like feeding.

I stick with CCI Mini Mag, if possible, though I just grabbed a Winchester 555 "White Box" from Wal-Mart the other day... I won't get golden bullet again unless it drops to ridiculously low prices.

I stopped using Remington 22 ammo years ago, 3-4 duds per 50 pack is too much. Their subsonic ammo is even worse, not only do you get the misfires but the velocity in them is so inconsistent that many of the rounds are above subsonic speeds and give you the loud "crack".

I have several 22's and have had no luck with the Golden Bullets. Worst was in my High Standard model b. Didnt feed for crap and a lot of failure to fires

This is funny. I just recently purchased a Remington 597 and picked up the Bulk pack of the Remington Golden Bullet. I have shot all 550 and I had ZERO failures. So far this is the Ammo I will keep buying if its cheap. I also hit a 2x2 target @ 200 Meters yesterday with this ammo.

I have several 22's and have had no luck with the Golden Bullets. Worst was in my High Standard model b. Didnt feed for crap and a lot of failure to fires

Different ammo for different guns!

I assume the Model B is a pistol. When I was shooting my HS Victor and Supermatic Tournament pistols, I used Rem Std Vel (green tag on 100 rd boxes) exclusively and they ran like a top. I probably ran 15K thru both guns with no problems.

I use Golden Bullets in my 10/22s and in my AA .22 Conversion Kit (specifically recommended by AA) as well as my Ciener .22 Conversion Kit. Run great in all of these guns.

This is funny. I just recently purchased a Remington 597 and picked up the Bulk pack of the Remington Golden Bullet. I have shot all 550 and I had ZERO failures. So far this is the Ammo I will keep buying if its cheap. I also hit a 2x2 target @ 200 Meters yesterday with this ammo.

holy crap.

A bunch of drama queens on this thread...

Golden Bullet is high velocity plinking ammo, and when run in guns designed for high velocity plinking ammo, it does just fine. No more, no less.

Back
Top Bottom