Remote harddrive question

I like my WD 9 or 10 TB SSD. Has good security, pswd. encryption. And I installed encrypstick on it also, giving the drive DOUBLE encryption using two different strong pswds. Only cost a few hundred $$ if i remember right.
I dont really like the idea of cloud storage, because if they (you know who i mean) kill the NET, kiss your shit goodbye.
If i were to rely on cloud storage id wait for ProtonMAIL, VPN people to finalize their encrypted file storage called PROTON DRIVE. They are in BETA right now. Should be good, everything is stored on secure servers in Switzerland where privacy laws are the balls..........JMO

For you tech savvy guys, I need your help. I have all of my photos in google photos and much of my documents in google drive. I would like to remove all of it completely and control the storage. Would an external drive that I can just hook up to my laptop be the way to go, or would you recommend something else? Thx Pete

Just get a WD Passport, when you connect it to your PC, it'll automatically back up all the new files on your PC since the last backup. You can tell it to backup every photo, video etc, or tell it to just look in specific folders and backup whatever is new.

I don't think you need anything fancier than that.

I am going to do the same thing and decided on a portable SSD.

Any downsides to this ?

I think SSD is just unnecessary for basic backup - you just leave the drive connected, who cares if it takes an hour to backup?

I've never had a backup drive fail, probably cause they aren't being used most of the time.

Just remember to keep your backup offsite. Otherwise it's just a copy.
That’s really only a concern for fires or warrants. The vast majority of issues in a normal home setup would be solved perfectly fine with a backup at the same location, as long as it’s not kept plugged into the same machine/network all the time.

Step 1: Get yourself a mac.
Step 2: Buy 4 of these: ArmorATD | Western Digital Store
Step 3: Use your mac to encrypt each drive. Tape the name of the drive and a hint that only you will know for the password.
Step 4: Inside the HD create an encrypted disk image that is large enough to hold your photos. Create a text file to store in the HD that has a hint for a longer password. Put all you photos inside the disk image.
Step 5: Use 3 of those HD's as backups. Store one in the basement in a fire safe. Store 2 others off site. Don't worry if they get stolen because the drive is encrypted and the disk image is super encrypted with a very long password.
Step 6: Check out SpiderOak One Backup | SpiderOak It's secure cloud backup. Upload your entire disk image to it. Even if they get hacked, they wont know the long password to your disk image. Every few months, upload a new disk image with your more recent photos.
Step 7: Get Proton Drive from the makers of Proton Mail. Put your disk image in there, too.
Step 8: Every so often - update your off site drives and check on your cloud backups.
Step 9: Get a thumb drive and use your mac to encrypt it. It does not need to be a long password. You can make a text file with a hint for your other files on the thumb drive. On that thumb drive store your other hints and or passwords for all your drives and accounts.
Step 10: Have a paper copy of your 1st line hints or passwords in case you forget and hide it where you wont forget it.

These steps should have you well covered in case of date loss.

I also keep my backup drives in faraday bags in case of an EMP attack.

It's really easy to make photo backups on a mac.
You can transfer your whole "Photos" file in one swoop to a HD.
You can also export the photos in a way you like.

To make a quick backup to the cloud, copy your photos file to your disk image and upload to the cloud. It will take a few hours but the entire collection with be secured in the cloud within an encrypted file that only you have the password to.

The cool thing about the Spider Oak One is that it can accept a massive disk image file even larger than 300gigs. Most cloud services have file limits.

I'd be surprised if you have more than 200gigs in photos. But, even with 1T or 2T, my steps will work for you.

Redundant redundancy is the key to surviving mishaps. All drives will eventually fail.

Only back up what you can't afford to lose.

Get a mac and use Time Machine. I F ed up my mac doing something I should not have done and Time Machine saved me. You can also do straight back ups of your files.

Two is one, one is none.

Buy a Synology with at least two mirrored drives for home. Buy a second one and have a buddy in Texas or somewhere else not in your house install it. Sync your computers at home to the home synology, back up the home synology to the Texas one. Now your data is in two places and is backed up off site in case your house gets struck by lightning and everything gets fried.

In addition to the above a regular offline backup to an external disk that you keep in a third safe place is a good idea in case you get ransomwared.

Back
Top Bottom