• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Removing Glock magazine baseplates

This thing is genius in its simplicity. Releases spring pin and applies the correct leverage pressure on the appropriate section of the plate to remove in one motion, all with no moving parts. I could see this being handy for that many floor plates in your picture. Less a change of mangling them (like all of mine done with a hex key).

For those of you with 3D printers, this is exactly the type of thing the 3D printer was made for:

How often are you guys removing baseplates????

I like 10-8 baseplates. I had 15 mags with stock baseplates on them, the replacements came in yesterday, and I swapped them.
The tool's cheap and keeps me from mangling the plates.

I know guys who take theirs apart periodically to clean them. I don't do that. I wipe them down and call it good.

file under "gadget." nothing wrong with a gadget, i have boxes of them. this is a cool tool...if i were a gunsmith or more specifically an armorer for a police dept issued glocks and i was disassembling hundreds of mags a year. i have the coolest gadget ever, a little tool made to run around the perimeter of a sealed cd case to cut the cellophane material that seals it. a dollar at tower records in burington circa 1996. the tool outlived the store.

anyway, thanks for posting the tool and the links.

How often are you guys removing baseplates????

Once a year, maybe. Sometimes less. Depending on use rate. It's pretty hard to gunk up a glock mag to the point where it doesn't work. The mags I carry with me
are typically cycled less, and are far less dirty (but still get tested)....

I have had some that were tough, but frankly I just jam the armorers tool in the small hole on the bottom, pinch the tube and pull back on the tool and the plates usually come off every time... I think worst case, once I had to use a pair of slipjoint pliers with tape on the teeth to help... [rofl]

Once a year, maybe. Sometimes less. Depending on use rate. It's pretty hard to gunk up a glock mag to the point where it doesn't work. The mags I carry with me
are typically cycled less, and are far less dirty (but still get tested)....
There’s gotta be some belly button lint in those at least, right? Adds insulation to the jhp’s.

Glock tool seems to work just fine. Now if I could find a tool to remove the +2 baseplates without feeling like I'm going to break something...

The only time I remove baseplates are after malfunctions while training or when swapping a stock plate for a Dawson extension.

If you haven't tried adding metal base plates or extensions, buy one and try it out. The added weight of even just a brass baseplate that adds no weight really helps increase mag ejection consistency.

If you put the back edge of the baseplate on the edge of a counter, you can easily press down on the magazine hard enough to make the baseplate slide free.

Back
Top Bottom